We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to CinqueTerra from Florence

Which Cinque Terre hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 4
How to get to CinqueTerra from Florence

Hi-

I am posting this question to all on TripAdvisor.

My husband and I are traveling from Florence to Cinque Terra (Manarola) in mid October. We will stay in Cinque Terra for several nights. Therefore, we will have luggage with us.

Does anyone have any recos for the most efficient and comfortable (not cheapest) route from Florence to Manarola? The Italian train site gives many options and some have very close connections. We are concerned about the close connection times since we have luggage. And, should I buy these tickets in advance? Thanks! SM

3 replies to this topic
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
1. Re: How to get to CinqueTerra from Florence

If the close connections involve changing onto a Regional train, then it doesn't matter if you miss the expected train out because you can take the next train. A Regional ticket from Florence to Manarola is OK on any Regional trains on the route for six hours after validation (time/date-stamping) before boarding, and one from la Spezia to Manarola for 75 minutes.

It is only worth buying in advance if for some reason you really want to take a connection which includes a Frecciarossa or Intercity train with reserved seats between Pisa and la Spezia. And at most times of day, these connections aren't worth the extra money, as they commit you to the train you have reserved seats on. And if you miss that train in Pisa Centrale because of a late train from Florence, you can only change your ticket onto the next train to la Spezia of a similar class, you can't use it on a Regional train.

I'd buy a Regional ticket to Manarola in Florence, as missing connections is then no problem at all.

Edited: 3:09 pm, August 18, 2013
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
2. Re: How to get to CinqueTerra from Florence

For Frecciarossa read Frecciabianca...

San Francisco...
reviews: 4
3. Re: How to get to CinqueTerra from Florence

Ciao-

Thanks so much for the information. This is very helpful!

We will buy Regional tickets from Florence to Manarola.

Take Care

Reply to: How to get to CinqueTerra from Florence
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted