We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytrip from Genoa

Salvador, Bahia...
reviews: 14
Daytrip from Genoa

Hi, everyone! I'm planing a daytrip with my wife to Cinque Terre leaving early in the morning from Genoa next September.

What would be the best itinerary and means of transportation(not into car rental)? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Daytrip from Genoa

The only public transport is by train. See www.trenitalia.com clicking on the UK flag to change to English and looking for trains from Genova to one of the CT villages.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
2. Re: Daytrip from Genoa

There are day-trips (or outward one-ways) by boat from Genoa on the first Saturday and first two Tuesdays in September by www.golfoparadiso.it/public/php/index.php

Edited: 1:16 am, June 26, 2013
Salvador, Bahia...
3. Re: Daytrip from Genoa

Does anyone know of a "shuttle boat" that runs between CT villages?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
4. Re: Daytrip from Genoa

See http://www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it/

This runs all September between Monterosso and Riomaggiore (and Portovenere), except on days when the sea is too rough.

Edited: 1:32 am, June 27, 2013
Salvador, Bahia...
5. Re: Daytrip from Genoa

Thanks for all the input so far. I would like to know if there is a "hop in hop off" boat in between the villages. My wife is pregnant and i'm not sure if she would like to walk from one village to the other. Also, i'm concerned with the distances from the train stations to the villages.

Brentwood, United...
reviews: 2
6. Re: Daytrip from Genoa

The regular ferry between the villages is a 'hop on hop off' if you buy an all day ticket. However it is rather a scramble on scramble off between the boat and the habour side. All the villages are around the station except Corniglia where the village is way above the station, reached by numerous steps. I don't really think with the distance involved from Genoa to the CT villages and the geneally hilly situation it is a suitable venue for a day trip with your prenant wife.

A trip to Santa Margherita Ligure and ferry or bus to Portofino might be more appropriate in such circumstances.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
7. Re: Daytrip from Genoa

Or to Camogli and the Blue line ferry from there to San Fruttuoso www.golfoparadiso.it/public/php/lineablu.php…

Edited: 2:56 pm, June 27, 2013
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
8. Re: Daytrip from Genoa

Note that the Cinque Terre ferries are also HOHO if you buy a 'one-way with stops' ticket - you do not have to buy the 'daily ticket'. So you could board at Riomaggiore and return by train from Monterosso, or vice-versa.

Salvador, Bahia...
9. Re: Daytrip from Genoa

Thank you all, guys! I really appreciate your helping me. I'll do some research before deciding what to do.

Gurgaon
reviews: 107
10. Re: Daytrip from Genoa

if you are coming from Genova then you must buy one regional train ticket and validate it prior to board the train.This ticket will be valid for next 6 hours so better to validate it just prior to boarding the train. Drop off at Monterosso.

AT Monterosso : get out from the station and go towards your right and keep on moving untill road ends (new village,also called fagina perhaps) where you can see the statue of Giant,one of the place to see. You may walk up the hill but it is of least interest from site seeing point of view. Now walk to other side of station i.e. towards Left side and you will enterinto to old village.There you can see one church. For sant Francesco church, you have to climp up again some stairs and can see teh church.At this church, nothing special to see as some tombstone (Kabra). You can also spend sometime at beach but will suggest to avoid spending time here as you will see beaches in other villages as well.Now you can return to station and take a train to Vernazza.Time required: 1hour to 1.5 hour

At Vernazza : Getting off at vernazza, move out from teh station and at 5 min walk, you will be near sea again. There you can see teh beauty of village. Church of Santa Margherita is also there which is worth watching. Now you can proceed for Doria castle (way to castle is from very narrow street and you may be required to ask from local peopel about the way).There is an entryfee of 1.50Euro for it. From castle, you can see the beauty of the village and then can spend some minutes in village. Return to station to catch train to next village. Time require: max 1 hour

At Corniglia : Thisvillage is different from other villages as it is on the height of a hill rather than on seasore.After getting off the station, either take teh bus to reach to village center or you can take stairs to reach there,There are around 300 stairs and it will take around 15 min to climb up the stairs.After climbing the stairs, go towards your left and then after reaching the village center, take the way towards your left again (opposite to church).Move till the end and you will see the beautiful ocean view from top which you may not be finding in other villages. During return, you can see the statue of Sant Pitro. Return to station.Time require: Maximum 1 hour

Now I have missed the Manarola based on the people experience and feedback.

At Riomaggiore: After getting offat Riomaggiore, take a route map from tourist center and move upwards (take path on your left instead of right as right path will go to beach). You will see beautiful site seeing in between while going towards church of San Giovani. While on the way, there is an another way cut towards Castle of Riomaggiore which can't be missed while in Riomaggiore. You can relax there for 5-10 minutes and then proceed towards the church. After that, you can start moving down towardsbeach (another way to return to station). At the beach, you can spend time if want and then can return to Riomaggiore station.

Till here, you need not to buy any additional ticket as you are within your 6 hours.

Here I would like to mention one thing that you have to be quick enough in site seeing rather than in relaxing mood if you have planned to see cinque terre in one day else better to purchase cinque terre card as it will enable you to use train for complete day while in cinque terre.

Now while returning back, again validate your return ticket and now you can get down at Lavanga, one of the long and beautiful beach what have see while there. You can enjhoy your time there is find of beaches.

Better to note down train timing before leaving as it will help you to reach the station by that time rather than reaching there and waiting for next one... i have planned for me in that way and seen most of the things.

Get answers to your questions about Cinque Terre