We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike north to south or south to north ?

Which Cinque Terre hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
belgium
reviews: 31
Hike north to south or south to north ?

Hello,

We will visit CT in July. I'm wondering what is the best direction to walk the 'Sentiero Azzuro' (blue path). From Monterosso to Riomaggiore or vice versa ?

Based on some photo's I've the impression views of the villages are best when starting in Monterosso.

Thx for info,

Ben

Monterosso al Mare...
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
reviews: 53
1. Re: Hike north to south or south to north ?

Starting in Monterosso hiking into Vernazza allows you that famous view of the village as you arrive, but you do have quite a few (hundred) stairs to go up to get there. Hiking the opposite way is a little easier.

Keep in mind that though most likely by July, the trail status will change, but for the past few years, the blue trail between Manarola and Corniglia has been closed. The whole portion is closed as of right this minute, but will most likely be open by the spring season as they are repairing portions through the winter. The higher trails are always an option, though more challenging, as well are some of the other trails in the region (i.e. Levanto-Monterosso, which is wonderful too).

Check the national park website for details as to trail openings:

parconazionale5terre.it/sentieri_parco.asp

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 47
2. Re: Hike north to south or south to north ?

The most stunning view is coming into Vernazza from Monterosso so that is the way I would recommend. It is also the most strenuous leg of the hike although nothing most people up for a several km hike along the sea would not be able to do easily.

Rapallo, Italy
reviews: 60
3. Re: Hike north to south or south to north ?

Queue-wise, it can be daunting to hike in Cinque Terre in July. Why don't you try the trails in Bonassola or Portovenere or Palmaria? The views won't be less stunning, and you will be able to walk at a normal pace.

Andy

( http://liguriah.wordpress.com )

California
reviews: 53
4. Re: Hike north to south or south to north ?

Start in Monterosso

5. Re: Hike north to south or south to north ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 06, 2014