We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the latest on the path from Manarola to Corniglia?

Worthing, United...
reviews: 1
What is the latest on the path from Manarola to Corniglia?

Hi there,

I'm going to Genoa during the last week of September, with the intention of walking the trails between the five villages of Cinque Terre.

I have read elsewhere that the trail between Manarola and Corniglia has been closed due to a landslide, but I know this was a while back. Does anybody know if this has reopened recently, or is due to?

Any info will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Stu.

Brentwood, United...
reviews: 2
1. Re: What is the latest on the path from Manarola to Corniglia?

The path has been closed for over a year due to a major landslide and it is not forecast to re-open until next year at the earliest. There is a higher level path but that is for experienced walkers only and is much more strenuous. There is of course the rail link between the two places.

Worthing, United...
2. Re: What is the latest on the path from Manarola to Corniglia?

Thanks for the info Love2roam. I like to think of myself as a decent walker, so I might consider the higher level path, so long as I'm not likely to get lost using it!

Brentwood, United...
3. Re: What is the latest on the path from Manarola to Corniglia?

Dont think you are likely to get lost its an official path but does include some rather rocky stretches from what I saw on an earlier posting in this Forum.Problemm is finding that comment again I will have a look. If you are a serious walker it is probably quite easy !

Brentwood, United...
4. Re: What is the latest on the path from Manarola to Corniglia?

Found the posting I referred to, doesnt sound too bad for an experienced walker. If I was a bit younger would love to have done it!

6. Re: Trail status

12 June 2012, 7:44

My husband and I are in our early 50's and did the alternate walk from Manarola to Corniglia via Volastra in mid June last year. I think it was route #6d to Volastra and then #7 to Corniglia.

It took us about 3 hours to complete with plenty of stops to take photos and catch our breath. I remember the glorious views, the relatively uncrowded trail and the steps that seemed to go on forever at the start of the trail.

From my notes after walking to the start of the trail it looks like we walked up steps for about an hour. After Volastra the trail went gently uphill for a short bit before leveling out and meandering through vineyards with views of the coast. From here we went through denser vegetation before going downhill into Corniglia.

We thoroughly enjoyed the walk although my husband reminds me that I did grumble a bit as we continued to climb the first part of the trail uphill!

The gelato we enjoyed in Corniglia was one of the best on the trip!

Edited: 11:43 am, August 25, 2012
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
5. Re: What is the latest on the path from Manarola to Corniglia?

For weaker souls, the bus to Volastra parconazionale5terre.it/files/Orari_bus_Mana… eliminates most of the worst climbs.

Brussels, Belgium
reviews: 32
6. Re: What is the latest on the path from Manarola to Corniglia?

Still quite challenging, even with the bus. Much more difficult than the blue trails, I would recommend real hiking shoes for this one.

Worthing, United...
7. Re: What is the latest on the path from Manarola to Corniglia?

Thanks again for your time and effort, very helpful!

8. Re: What is the latest on the path from Manarola to Corniglia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, December 15, 2013