We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinque Terre - need convincing

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 1
Cinque Terre - need convincing

Why choose Cinque Terre for a visit?

My wife and I have enjoyed several visits to various parts of Italy (Rome, Amalfi Coast, Florence/Tuscany/Umbria) and will be returning for 7-10 days in early June. We will base ourselves in Venice initially (with side-trips), but might look for somewhere else in the north to base for a few days.

Considering we:

- generally favour the Italian history and architecture (over the natural envt)

- have previously visited (and enjoyed) the Amalfi Coast

- live by the beach in Sydney

would the Cinque Terre suit us for a few days, as opposed to other parts in the north?

Some people rave about the place, but others say it just a few fishing villages built into cliffs.

Need convincing!

1. Re: Cinque Terre - need convincing

Having heard rave reviews of the Cinque Terre, we were somewhat disappointed. The villages are interesting viewed from the sea, but I would not recommend an extended stay. They are quite 'trippery', and there are certainly no art treasures. I think you should explore the Veneto more - Verona, Vicenza with its Palladian architecture and theatre, the villas of the Brenta Canal,and Padua. Mantua (Mantova) made an enormous impression on me. I did not like Lake Garda much - too many tourists. Salo was in my opinion the best town on the lake.

Porec, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
reviews: 16
2. Re: Cinque Terre - need convincing

We much prefered the CT to the Amalfi Coast. While we found it beautiful we found it totally overrun with tourists and commercialized. Do not get me wrong - there were plenty of tourists in the CT but we found it was easier to get away from them. I strongly recommend the CT but only if you like seaside villages, rugged coastline, etc. We stayed in Riomaggiore and had the streets to ourselves in evenings (we were there in May). We are not party people (like quiet better) so that may be detrimental to some as well. The Dolomites are lovely - definitely worth staying there as well. We live on the prairies in Canada so anywhere in Italy is unique to us but perhaps not others.

Whatever you decide have an excellent trip!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 49
3. Re: Cinque Terre - need convincing

After Venice which is rather intense (in a nice way) I think the Cinque Terre would be a good contrast, much as I like the Amalfi coast, I prefer the Cinque Terre much more compact, all the villages have their own charm, busy but not as Amalfi/Positano morelike everyday places not so commercial just south of Cinque Terre 10 Minutes on a ferry, there is Portovenre, really worth a Visit.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 98
4. Re: Cinque Terre - need convincing

I can certainly second Primasue's recommendations - particularly Mantova (Mantua). We had three enjoyable days there and think it is a great pity it is neglected by many tourists Apart from the centre with ist great Gonzaga castle etc., the Palazzo Te on the outskirts is not to be missed.

Italy
reviews: 2
5. Re: Cinque Terre - need convincing

mpoll you mentioned doing side trips from Venice and so Mantova, Padova and Verona could all be done under that heading.

Cinque terre is lovely and much less touristy and trashy than the Amalfi Coast.

The Portofino area might be a nice base from which to visit the cinque terre and also places such as Rapallo with its santuario di Montallegro, Camogli and San Fruttuoso.

Italy
reviews: 2
6. Re: Cinque Terre - need convincing

Oops got cut off there just as I was about to suggest another destination.

As you live by the beach then why not try somewhere like Parma which will give you mor culture and ofcourse the chance to sample some of Italy's wonderful food.

Parma although a city,is not a tourist trap like Venice for example.

There you can visit one of Italy's most beautiful and interesting Romanesque cathedrals.

Antelamis octagonal baptistery.

St. Pauls Rooms with its Correggio frescoes,

The teatro regio. The ducal palace and park

La pilotta which houses the National Gallery( houses works by Correggio, Parmigianino,El Greco and da Vinci.The National museum of antiques, the palatine library and the fabulous farnese theatre----one of only 3 theatres contemporry with the birth of opera to exist in Italy today.

Musical genius from Verdi, Toscanini and Paganini are also to be enjoyed in and around the city.

You can do the Verdi trail and visit small villages near to Parma including Busetto.

So many wonderful restuarants and shops and even the chance to visit the local cheese, ham and balsamic vinegar production.

Wonderful shops and beautiful people too.

June is a perfect month for visiting Parma. Just an idea.

Boston...
7. Re: Cinque Terre - need convincing

Everything everyone has written is true, the area and villages really are quite beautiful and interesting but if you think you are not going to see tourists here you are in for a rude awakening. (after all we are all tourists and from June to September every place is packed with tourists). What you need to realize is that the villages in Cinque Terre are all incredibly small which of course is part of its charm but to stay outside and visit only as day trips you will be amongst the throngs of visitors. They are best enjoyed at night when many people are gone. If you enjoy hiking it makes for the best way to trek from town to town( trains or boats will also transport you between villages) but some hikes are strenuous and expect the trails to be crowded unless you depart very early. All in all definitely worth visiting but be aware of what you are in for. Have you considered Lake Como i.e. Bellagio. Really beautiful and probably a bit more relaxing.

Canada
reviews: 7
8. Re: Cinque Terre - need convincing

Have enjoyed reading these CT tips. We are headed there in May for a few days. We love the rugged coastlines - but my daughter was wondering if there are any beaches at all in the area?

Chefathome (BTW we are also from Sask.) mentioned quieter evenings - is that because the tourists head home at the end of the day - or is May simply not high season and therefore less touristy?

Dimara

Boston...
9. Re: Cinque Terre - need convincing

Monterosso has a beach.....I think it is the only Cinque Terre town that does. The nights are quieter because the day trippers leave. I wouldn't expect May to be quiet, we were there at the end of April, early May and is filled with people during the day. You will also find May to be quite warm so the beaches will be busy as well. You can also day trip to Santa Margherita and/or Portofino and return to Cinque when some of the crowds have left, and have a beautiful evening.

New Hampshire
10. Re: Cinque Terre - need convincing

Chefathome,

I am interested in where you went/what you saw in the Dolomites. We are planning to visit there in April.

Thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Cinque Terre