We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around and one day trips

Which Trieste hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tonawanda, New York
reviews: 18
Getting around and one day trips

Are there any scooter rentals in Trieste? Is it a reasonable way to get about in this city, We have 6 people in our travel group and may want to do a couple of day trips to some nearby sights mentioned in the forum. Is it difficult to get a van quick (last minute) 1 or 2 day rental in July or should we look for some tour?

Udine, Italy
reviews: 26
1. Re: Getting around and one day trips

From a quick google lookup, I've found several scooter rentals.

Here's the list: …paginegialle.it/friuli_venezia_giulia/tries…

One of them has a website, so that you can check out costs:

www.albachiaranoleggi.it/index.php…

From my personal experience, I'd discourage doing so, unless you're used to riding scooters in busy cities with crazy traffic and lot of steep uphills/downhills. That's what Trieste is about :-) The fact that you're in 6 will probably make things expensive also.

Trieste's not big and you can definitely get the most of it by foot or just hopping on and off from buses. The service is pretty good; it's very common among locals.

As for the trips to nearby places, renting a vehicle could be the best way if you want to explore places which are not serviced by public transport (IE trains, buses). Otherwise, you can definitely rely on the Italian railway system. It can allow you to easily reach places such as Udine, Venice and Treviso; just to name a few. Coaches can moreover take you to nearby places, such as Duino castle or the giant cave. You might also consider the boat, for reaching either the famous Lignano Sabbiadoro beach town or the quieter coast of Croatia.

IMHO a van is a proper solution only if you wish to access not so close places, which are not well served by public transportation (feel free to name the places you wish to visit, I can provide specific tips). If you plan to rent a car, I'd avoid doing this at the last minute nevertheless, unless there's a clear benefit in doing so; which I cannot see at the moment.

I hope this helps. Happy traveling!

PS Considering the fact that you're going to be in 6 people, a van might also make sense from a budgeting point of view. It might cost you less, especially for long-distance transfers. But be careful, because fuel is very expensive in Italy, and also not all places are parking-friendly (IE Venice on top of them - I know quite a few people who had lot of troubles finding a parking spot there).

Edited: 7:33 am, December 18, 2011
Gorizia, Italy
reviews: 71
2. Re: Getting around and one day trips

I wouldn't recommend using a scooter in Trieste; the traffic is really chaotic.

Renting a car would be worth it if you plan to do, for example, a car tour of Friuli region, but just to visit another city (like Udine, or Gorizia), it is not necessary as you can use a public transport. If there are no strikes, the public transport is quite frequent and well organized.

For visiting Trieste, just walking around and using the local buses would be just fine. There is also, I believe, a hop on/hop off bus in Trieste.

You can reach the Miramare Castle , or the Duino Castle taking the APT blue buses, line 51. The same line goes to Udine, which is also worth a visit.

munich
reviews: 33
3. Re: Getting around and one day trips

You should also be aware that should you wish to visit Slovenia/Croatia most hire car firms have restrictions on taking vehicles into these countries. Some such as AVIS (and many of the other major firms) advertise a blanket ban. It is possible, even with AVIS, to mitigate this problem by paying extra insurance. However you should inform the rental company at time of booknig (should you wish to book in advance) and not at time of pickup.

What is also common, regardless of the extra insurance, is a ban on Mercs, Audi, VW, BMW, 4x4 and other luxury cars.

This could be an issue for instance if you wanted a van and the company used VW Touran or Merc Vito or Vaneo

Just as an example

avis.de/assets/pdf/DE_Einreisekarte_2010.pdf

Should you wish to utilise public transport there are various bus services to Slovenia

www.autostazionetrieste.it/index.php…

You could also take a trip to Ljubljana

Just across the border is the town of Sezana. There are regular services to Ljubljana

Although there is a trainline from Trieste to Sezana it is no longer used. It used to until recently only be used for overnight trains from Venice to Ljubljana to Budapest but these appear to have stopped.

The bus service between Trieste and Sezana is not that regular. You could get a taxi across the border

Unfortunately the bus service from Trieste to Ljubljana doesn't run early (e.g. it is easier doing a day trip from Ljubljana to Trieste)

4. Re: Getting around and one day trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, February 24, 2013