We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Trieste Train

Which Trieste hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 89
Venice to Trieste Train

I am interested in starting my vacation to Croatia from Trieste but it is easier for me to fly into the airport in Venice and take the train to Trieste.

Does anyone know how much the train ticket will cost? Does anyone know if its easy to get to the train station in Venice from the airport?

Thank you.

Montreal
1. Re: Venice to Trieste Train

Most of the trains from Venice to Trieste are regional trains; fare is 17.45 Euro in first class, 11.20 Euro in second class.

The (orange) ACTV bus will take you from the front of the terminal at Marco Polo to the train station in Mestre. If you go on to Venice itself, the bus goes to Piazzale Roma and you have to take a vaporetto or cross a bridge to get to the train station.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
reviews: 3
2. Re: Venice to Trieste Train

I agree. If you are not going to visit Venice, no point starting from Venice. You might as well start from Meistre. If you don't have to change trains, the trip from Meistre(Venice) to Trieste should be about 3 hours or so. The bus station is jus accross from the train station. If you need an overnight near the Trieste station, Hotel Roma or the Jolly Hotel are within walking distance. Personally, I'd spend a couple of days in Trieste, it's a fabulous city.

Mansfield U.K.
reviews: 7
3. Re: Venice to Trieste Train

Actually the journey time is 1h. 50 mins from Venice-Mestre and departures are at 22 minutes past each hour throughout the day.

Bob.

New York City, New...
reviews: 89
4. Re: Venice to Trieste Train

Thank you all for the information. This helps me so much.

Do the trains run that frequently in late September? When I looked online it looked like there was only one train a day and it was pretty late in the evening. It would be great if there was more than one train a day (especially if my flight is late). I would like to get to Trieste as soon as possible.

I am planning on spending a few days there before heading to Rovinj. From the tripadvisor postings it sounded like a beautiful place to visit even if for only a few days. Does anyone have any suggestsions of must-see sights in Trieste?

NE Victoria...
reviews: 18
5. Re: Venice to Trieste Train

The best thing to do in Trieste is just to wander around - spend a day roaming aimlessly, then visit the tourist centre, pick up some brochures and take your pick from the list of "sights" to round out your trip. Castles, galleries, museums - they're all there.

We always associate Trieste with coffee and food and Trieste's cafes are great places in which to plan your day. Wonderful cafes, full of history and gorgeous design - we spent one of our days in Trieste just going from cafe to cafe (it was raining) and spending hours reading and trip planning. Caffe San Marco remains our firm favourite (even if we're just driving through Trieste, we go into town to the San Marco for a break).

Still on foodie things, if you're there at the right time of year to find an osmizza, you can enjoy a glass or two of local wine and home-made produce in rustic surroundings. They are only temporary and usually recognisable from a branch suspended outside the establishment. Trieste is also known for its casual restaurants called "buffets" - an experience in themselves.

Also the opera house - Teatro Verdi - is a beauty; if there's a concert on, it's well worth going to experience the sensation of being in a classic old-world opera house.

Hope you enjoy it (and Rovinj, also fabulous)!

Linz
reviews: 7
6. Re: Venice to Trieste Train

Yes, there will be at least as many trains as now. The timetable is not published yet... but don't worry.

Just catch a bus to Mestre railway station:

ATVO, Cost € 3

www.atvo.it/orari/pdf_airport/MPMESTREFS.pdf

or

ACTV, Line 15 (ATVO is faster), € 1,10

Then train to Trieste, very easy. Just buy the ticket before you go.

If you want to see the rail timetable, you can also use any other website of european railways. Often easier to use than the Italian one. Example:

http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en

Johannesburg, South...
reviews: 2
7. Re: Venice to Trieste Train

Hi TallulahB,

I would like to know how you experienced your trip from Venice to Trieste? I have the same problem, can find only one train, late evening on the web. Are the trains more often, as mentioned on the forum? Do we need to book in advance?

Can you give me some travel trips on your trip to Croatia?We want to travel from Venice to Trieste by train. From Trieste down to Pula, Zadar, Split and Dubrovnik, stopping in between at some of the islands.

Regards,

Jeanet

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
8. Re: Venice to Trieste Train

To repeat what others have said, www.trenitalia.it/en/index.html does not show the full timetables a long time in advance. It can only be relied upon for the next 60 days (and sometimes less when the timetable is changing).

It will show you the times some way back in the past, so if you have doubts about how many trains there are in September, you could look at September 2008! A current date would, however, provide a better indication.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
reviews: 75
9. Re: Venice to Trieste Train

A few points to correct the information given above:

- there are indeed regional trains (almost) every hour from Mestre to Trieste -- 23 (not 22) minutes after the hour; there also are trains 16 mins after the hour which follow the longer route via Udine, taking approx. 1 hour more;

- if taking the more direct trains mentioned above, the 2nd class fare is 8 euro, not 11;

- to proceed from Trieste to Croatia, buses are much better than trains, and the schedules are at saf.ud.it/cms/…000057_resource1_orig.pdf

Bedford
10. Re: Venice to Trieste Train

So to clarify (sorry, I'm obsessive about these things...)

Arrive at Marco Polo,

Get the ACTV bus to Mestre,

Catch the train from Mestre to Trieste.

And the trains run 23 mins past hourly and are only around 10 euros(ish)?

Is this right?

Thanks for your help!