We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should we spend 3 days in Bologna?

Which Bologna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Myers, Florida
reviews: 149
should we spend 3 days in Bologna?

before the 5 days in Florence, mid March? 2 adults, 50 something thanks or would Siena be a better choice?

Bologna, Italy
reviews: 3
1. Re: should we spend 3 days in Bologna?

3 days are ok to visit Bologna, you can visit the city center, San Luca and enjoy the food that's very good!

I like Siena as well, smaller but more touristic. I would visit both cities spending less days in Florence maybe

HERE AND THERE
2. Re: should we spend 3 days in Bologna?

I would split the 3 days between Siena and Bologna.

Unless you plan to do some side trips from Bologna to either Parma wonderful city and great food or to Maranello and Modena to see Ferrari land and tour the balsamic vinegar factories then perhaps 3 days in Bologna will be a bit much.

Not a great deal to see there really once you have been to San Luca and the main centre of Bologna.

A day would be more than enough really.

Tucson
reviews: 20
3. Re: should we spend 3 days in Bologna?

All three are wonderful in different ways. IIf you can squeeze in all three, I would--but not at the expense of your time in Florence. I spent a week in Florence and barely scratched the surface of the art, museums and churches, though we got a good sense of street and community life. Sienna is fascinating, especially if you can witness some part of the ritual surrounding the 'Campo' -- the annual horse race held in the central piazza. Each neighborhood has a flag and coat of arms, and they compete against each other in the 'Campo'. I was there in March when the neighborhoods were chosen by lot to compete in the next race. The central piazza was packed and groups trooped through the city following their neighborhood flag and band. Bologna is beautiful -- full of arcades and lovely architecture. Student life at the university and a general community spirit is strong. We were there in July when they held a film festival outside in the Piazza Majore. Seats were set out and hundreds of people began to gather at 10pm for the free film of the night., shown on a giant screen at the end of the square. March is a good time to go -- July in both Bologna and Florence was just too hot.

4. Re: should we spend 3 days in Bologna?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, August 18, 2009