We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bologna: area to stay

Which Bologna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
reviews: 2
Bologna: area to stay

We are torn between a small expensive apartment very near Piazza Maggiore and a bigger less expensive one somewhat further out (but still inside the city center).

Sometimes we've enjoyed being in a residential, less touristy area (Barcelona); other times being in the center has been special (Siena).

We'd welcome some advice on which would be the better choice for 5 nights in Bologna this spring.

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Watertown, MA
reviews: 12
1. Re: Bologna: area to stay

I think the closer to Piazza Maggiore the better! But I guess it depends how much further out is the other one? what area?

I think being in the center is special, you will be spoiled for choice of cafes, restaurants and shopping. I have been to Bologna twice and never felt it as overrun with tourists. I think it is a very overlooked designation!

St Paul, MN
reviews: 6
2. Re: Bologna: area to stay

Bologna is not a very big place. I am not sure it matters. I have walked fron the central city to the train station myself, and that is way outside the city center.

United States
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 13
3. Re: Bologna: area to stay

I preferred staying in an apartment closer to Piazza Maggiore than in a hotel nearer the train station. I found the walk at night back from dinner easier in the center. The first time I stayed in the station area hotel, I had an unpleasant walk back at night which I wouldn't ever like to repeat.

Day trippers would have a different perspective on what would work.

TAB

Edited: 3:40 pm, January 03, 2014
Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
reviews: 91
4. Re: Bologna: area to stay

where is exactly the other flat ? you say still inside the centre but it may change from one place to another, ok if it is near porta Maggiore/S. Stefano/Castiglione/D'Azeglio/S. Isaia/S. Felice while I would avoid the area Marconi/Stazione/Mascarella

USA
reviews: 2
5. Re: Bologna: area to stay

The other apartment is on Via Riva di Reno.

Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
reviews: 91
6. Re: Bologna: area to stay

The area is nice, 10 minutes walking from Piazza Maggiore, plenty of restaurants (some of my favourites in Bologna are nearby (E' cucina Leopardi, Higashi, Zenzero, Don Camillo, Officina degli Apuli, La bella Napoli, Casa Monica and so on).

Plenty of buses nearby on Via S. Felice or Marconi or Indipendenza (Riva Reno is long so I don't know which other street is closest).

Near piazza Maggiore could be better maybe but Riva Reno is a very lively and nice street in any case

Reply to: Bologna: area to stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted