We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bologna Smog? Another Los Angelas?

Which Bologna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
reviews: 24
Bologna Smog? Another Los Angelas?

I got curious about Bologna's canals, googled, and came upon several references to the city's intense smog, including one from a US poster who stated it rivaled that of LA. True? Smog does not turn up once under the TA search.

Thanks.

St Paul, MN
reviews: 6
1. Re: Bologna Smog? Another Los Angelas?

I was only in Bologna last month twice and I did not see any smog or smell any obvious air pollution. I have experienced smog/air pollution in Detroit, NY and LA.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
2. Re: Bologna Smog? Another Los Angelas?

None when I was there last March and I used to live in Los Angeles -

Pennsylvania
reviews: 24
3. Re: Bologna Smog? Another Los Angelas?

Thank you both.

One of the posts I'd come across stated that Bologna was barely even visible from the air because of the smog; another described the city as "choked by smog."

As I had never seen even a hint of smog referred to in any TA posts, I figured that the "smog" posters were either from the group that can always find/create something wrong with anything or that [somewhat like the outbreak of Legionaires Disease in Quebec City last summer] never mentioned to tourists for fear of losing them.

UK
reviews: 55
4. Re: Bologna Smog? Another Los Angelas?

My husband used to regularly fly in and out of northern Italian cities during the colder months and often had flights delayed or diverted due to airports being fog-bound. The Po Valley is particularly badly affected. We've visited both Ferrara and Mantua during the winter and experienced damp and gloomy conditions with swirling mists.

Vignola, Italy
reviews: 6
5. Re: Bologna Smog? Another Los Angelas?

I think is very very difficult give an answer to your question, because the feeling of what we call polluted change a lot. For Italians almost all cities in northern Italy have a very poor quality level for pollution. All the Po valley is enclosed by mountain, this mean no constant air flux change. This cause fog to be present especially between October to February (but in the last two years the foggy days was few ones) and, of course air pollution. To fight the pollution there are several days where car cannot circulate or can circulate with severe limits.

So in our city about the 25/30% of day have a poor air quality. The point is: poor quality for European limits and laws. I'm not an expert, but probably other countries have different limits, so only an expert can make a good comparison.

Turin
reviews: 1
6. Re: Bologna Smog? Another Los Angelas?

Maybe that US poster mistook the notorious fog of the Po Valley for pollution?

Ravenna, Italy :(
reviews: 1
7. Re: Bologna Smog? Another Los Angelas?

Premise: http://tinyurl.com/d39ptyf

Focus on Bologna: http://tinyurl.com/btft3qe

:)

8. Re: Bologna Smog? Another Los Angelas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 12, 2014