We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

very bad experience with Simonetta Bianchini SRL jewelry sho

Which Bologna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
philadelphia
reviews: 63
very bad experience with Simonetta Bianchini SRL jewelry sho

This note is to notify and forewarn potential customers of our experience with SIMONETTA antique jewelry store business, located in Bologna, Italy.

While on vacation in Bologna, my wife and i stopped in to view several SAPPHIRE rings and pendants at SIMONETTA's jewelry store. It was late in the afternoon. One pendant particularly caught our attention. It was a large antique sapphire pendant which Simonetta herself took out of her vault.

The price was approximately 40,000 euros. We wanted to buy it on the spot after we viewed its gemological certificate. Unfortunately, there was no certificate for this blue sapphire. We remained very interested in the sapphire pendant and insisted on a certificate before we were willing to finalize payment. We tried to pay for the pendant at that time but could not wire transfer the funds on time since it was the end of the day. We left the jewelry shop with an oral agreement (and hand shake) from SIMONETTA, the shop owner, that she would honor the price once the certificate was in hand (even though we would be philadelphia and time will have passed). There was no set timetable. We agreed to buy the blue sapphire pendant for 40,000 euro's subject to reviewing the certificate which would verify the fact that this was an untreated blue sapphire.

Simonetta, the owner of the jewelry shop said she would follow through and send the sapphire pendant to a gemological org in switzerland and would honor the agreed upon price. We returned to Philadelphia, PA., USA from our vacation since the gemological review would take more time than we had available (approx 2 weeks).

When the gemological certification was finalized it was sent to us by Simonetta via email. We made provisions to pay by wire transferring funds. In the meantime, Simonetta's term of sale changed (without notifying us) and the price went up. Simonetta refused to honor the terms of our original pricing agreement for the pendant. Simonetta arbitrarily and unilaterally increased the price of additional work we asked her to do on the pendant without notifying us in advance and obtaining our approval. At no time in our communications did i suggest or indicate that i wanted to back out of our agreement to buy the pendant. Simonetta independently changed our agreement to purchase and made the purchase of the sapphire pendant contingent on the purchase of the additional work (which was never started) of which she significantly increased the price from 3000 euros to 5000 euros.

When we refused to agree to the additional cost for the modifications, Simonetta promptly voided the invoice for the sapphire pendant she prepared for me (and emailed to me) and unilaterally backed out of our deal. My suspicion is that the certificate indicated the sapphire had a greater potential value to the price of our agreement and Simonetta "greedily" wanted to take advantage of this. This is no way a respected, honorable and trusted jeweler operates and behaves. i suspect this was not the first time this sort of behavior was implemented by Simonetta jeweler. in addition, this serves to prove that Simonetta's agreements and sense of honor and trust is unworthy. By this email I would like to forewarn others of SIMONETTA jewelers conduct and dishonorable practice.

Also note i am not in any way associated with the jewelry business and was just a tourist.

Essex
reviews: 71
1. Re: very bad experience with Simonetta Bianchini SRL jewelry sho

a) that is a lot of money to be considering giving someone in 'foreign lands'

b) are you sure that the exchange rate did not change between the time you agreed to purchase and the date the purchase was actually to go through?? (as you agreed to pay a price in EUROS not US DOLLARS)

c) you are probably lucky that she did drop the sale and also acted professionally by totally voiding the invoice. If you had been stung' for loadsamoney with nothing to show at the end of it in a proper 'scam' then you really would have something to cry about....

d) perhaps you are malaligning a respectable business....

NY
2. Re: very bad experience with Simonetta Bianchini SRL jewelry sho

I will certainly keep this warning in mind the next time I walk into that store with 40,000 Euros to spend

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
3. Re: very bad experience with Simonetta Bianchini SRL jewelry sho

I find it interesting that there was no prior certificate for the item given its purported value.

Something about the entire scenario seems odd so who knows what happened - though you seem to relying on a few "suspicions" vs facts in maligning her business.

You may have dodged a bullet - maybe you lost out on a great deal. Good thing no money changed hands or you really would have something to complain about.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
reviews: 14
4. Re: very bad experience with Simonetta Bianchini SRL jewelry sho

This all seems rather odd to me. You agree on a price without having a gemological certificate. You ask to have the pendant held, have a certificate obtained and some work done on the pendant. All this is done and then you complain about the price of the work that was done at your request. You were given a copy of the certificate so you know what the value of the stone is. You can see for yourself if this company is trying to take advantage of you or not. You don't mention what the value of the stone is in the report so I must assume that it's as quoted. The only issue is that the work cost more than originally thought and she was asking you to pay the additional cost. I don't see a problem with that. You asked for the work to be done so you should pay what it costs.

I'm sorry but I don't see where this company is at fault. They were even good enough to let you out of the deal without penalty even though they did work for you that you ultimately didn't pay for.

Donna

San Antonio, Texas
reviews: 18
5. Re: very bad experience with Simonetta Bianchini SRL jewelry sho

Sounds to me like she did change her mind on the sale but the whole scenario does seem odd: high dollar value, verbal agreements with strangers, intention to complete contract without seeing the work done etc. Very strange.

Bologna, Italy
6. Re: very bad experience with Simonetta Bianchini SRL jewelry sho

Hi!

My name is Simonetta Bianchini and I'm the holder and the legal representative of the SIMONETTA BIANCHINI SRL.

I'm replying now because yesterday one of my valued customers pointed out to me that in two websites ( tripadvisor.co.uk and jelp.it), if someone enters my name two reviews appear immediately which are offensive and defamatory against me and against the company I represent.

Furthermore, these reviews are signed with tow different pseudonymus, but are clearly written by the same person.

I state that I'm carrying on this business from 25 years and that it was founded on 1956. There are no complaints attributable to my business or to myself earlier than the date in which this Mr wrote his reviews.

I'd like to point out that I commit myself constantly and diligently to fulfill with accuracy and competence my demanding and careful customers, for which I have respect and regard.

Regarding to the event described by this Mr with his pseudonymus, I'd like say that the event took a different turn and that his story is the result of a distorted reality and it is absolutely biased.

The true fact is that the promised buyer has not been served because he didn't pay the amount agreed within the agreed time.

I want to clarify also that the invoice which concerned the object related the same amount that we had stipulated previously in the shop.

Naturally, all the world knows that injouries and libelous are penal crimes.

Simonetta Bianchini

philadelphia
7. Re: very bad experience with Simonetta Bianchini SRL jewelry sho

NOTE MY REPLY IN CAPITAL LETTERS BELOW

a) that is a lot of money to be considering giving someone in 'foreign lands' - THAT IS EXACTLY WHY I CHOSE TO PAY BY CREDIT CARD. UNFORTUNATELY MY CREDIT LIMIT WAS NOT HIGH ENOUGH TO CLOSE THE SALE AND NEEDED A FEW DAYS FOR THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY TO UPGRADE MY LIMIT.

b) are you sure that the exchange rate did not change between the time you agreed to purchase and the date the purchase was actually to go through?? (as you agreed to pay a price in EUROS not US DOLLARS)

THE EXCHANGE RATE WAS NOT WHAT KILLED THE DEAL.

c) you are probably lucky that she did drop the sale and also acted professionally by totally voiding the invoice. If you had been stung' for loadsamoney with nothing to show at the end of it in a proper 'scam' then you really would have something to cry about.... I WAS STUNG BY THE JEWELRY SHOP OWNER INCREASING HER ASKING PRICE ARBITRARILY BY 10%.

d) perhaps you are malaligning a respectable business.... I HAVE NO VENDETTA AGAINST THIS BUSINESS. I WANTED TO PURCHASE THIS PIECE OF JEWELRY BUT WOULD NOT BE MANIPULATED INTO PAYING MORE THEN THE AGREED UPON PRICE. I AM A RESPECTABLE TOURIST!

philadelphia
8. Re: very bad experience with Simonetta Bianchini SRL jewelry sho

YES, to this day my wife and i are upset about losing out on purchasing this gemstone. Before leaving the jewelry shop we shook hands and agreed upon the price.

WE ACTED TOTALLY IN GOOD FAITH to wire transfer payment - unfortunately, once the jewelry shop owner obtained a gemological certificate (WHICH I DEMANDED PRIOR TO PURCHASE TO VERIFY THE ACCURACY OF THE FEATURES CLAIMED ABOUT THE GEMSTONE) - I believe she felt the gemstone/pendant was worth a lot more money, so she arbitrarily raised her price and was no longer willing to sell the gemstone at the agreed upon price.

philadelphia
9. Re: very bad experience with Simonetta Bianchini SRL jewelry sho

Please be aware that My wife loved the pendant. I only agreed to the shop owners price contingent on receiving a gemological certificate, from a bonafide institution, supporting the details claimed about the gemstone. This certificate was not present at the time of the price agreement.

NY
10. Re: very bad experience with Simonetta Bianchini SRL jewelry sho

Sorting this out would probably take a couple of international lawyers and court, way beyond the scope of the complaint - but while a verbal agreement can be enforced in the US, it has to be determined exactly what that agreement was, and likely that would be hard to prove since it is clear the parties disagree.

The lesson might be to get it signed in writing by both parties especially for a transaction this big. Of course if afterwards the seller thought the price turned out to be too low, they could just never send the certificate since the purchase was contingent on getting it - but they did send one -curious if the certificate itself was acceptable.