We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldcar - worst car rental ever

Which Bologna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster, United...
reviews: 18
Goldcar - worst car rental ever

In October 2012 I suffered my worst car rental experience ever. It was with Goldcar - a Spanish company new to Italy and so there is not much feed back yet. But boy, I've found a huge number of complaints about them in Spain.

Their staff at Bologna Airport are rude, unhelpful and basically thieves! They hold you at the desk for half an hour selling extra insurance for €125 (which still does not cover glass, wheels, mirrors, interior etc), you have to pay an exorbitant price for a tank of fuel (the tank wasn't even full) and there is no refund for remaining fuel on return plus they charge an extra supplement for diesel (when diesel in Italy is cheaper than petrol).

Goldcar's car park is at East Terminal which is a long walk from the rental desk. I'm partially disabled and they would not give me any assistance.

On return they would not believe that I did not take out the extra rip-off insurance and wanted to search my bag for a document they insisted I was hiding! I then had to wait while one of them went to check the car for damage - eventually he phoned in to say the car was ok - undamaged and clean. Despite this, I later found an extra charge of €32 had been made to my card for no reason.

They are absolute rogues and next time at Bologna (November) I'm going to demand an explanation - although I doubt I'll get anywhere.

19 replies to this topic
Latina, Italy
1. Re: Goldcar - worst car rental ever

OP: if you had entered Goldcar in the searchbox on the Italy forum you'd have found innumerable dire posts about this company.

Edited: 12:22 am, November 18, 2012
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
2. Re: Goldcar - worst car rental ever

Always use the big companies like Avis, Hertz etc they may be more expensive but in the long run are better than the smaller unknown companies but thanks for the warning it will help others planning to use this company.

Lancaster, United...
3. Re: Goldcar - worst car rental ever

What's with the "I told you so" attitude appia670? Not very helpful is it?

The fact remains that unsuspecting travellers need to be warned about Goldcar. I've been renting cars in Italy for 30+ years but this one takes the biscuit. I booked through auto-europe (with an e) who, on previous occasions, have been fine. So I did not perceive any need to make further checks. Stupid me.

London, United...
4. Re: Goldcar - worst car rental ever

I agree 100% They are thieves and gold diggers ! They provided me with the incorrect car - a smaller vehicle than I had ordered. They charged me €94 to fill up a Lancia Ypsilon 1.2litre which only takes €52 worth of petrol ( I filled up later during my week long stay ). They were the slowest and rudest and most aggressive car rental company I have ever used ! It took me 1 hour and 10 minutes to be served. A second person was typing next to the agent, unwilling to assist. I have advised my broking company not to use them.

NEVER EVER USE THEM. THEY APPEAR CHEAPER, BUT AFTER THE EXTORTIONATE PETROL CHARGE AS WELL AS THE FACT THAT YOU CAN RARELY RETURN A CAR WITH NO PETROL, AND THE HARD SELL, YOU WILL PAY MORE !

RONALD C. London, UK. May 2013.

London, United...
5. Re: Goldcar - worst car rental ever

You will achieve nothing from these rogues. They have chosen unhelpful arrogant and rude staff to hard sell and be obstructive.

RonaldC May 2013

London, United...
6. Re: Goldcar - worst car rental ever

I am on a mission to have these blackguards hounded out of Italy and will respond to any negativity with added gusto ! NEVER EVER USE THEM. THEY ARE RUDE, ARROGANT, GOLDDIGGING !

A campaign should be launched to have their name changed to GOLDDIGGERS !!

YOU WILL PAY MORE AT GOLDDIGGERS I ASSURE YOU !!!!!

Lancaster, United...
7. Re: Goldcar - worst car rental ever

Doesn't look like they've changed much at Goldcar then!

I agree - they should be hounded out of Italy. A major problem is that, when booking through a rental broker, the broker rarely specifies which company you are actually using until the booking has been made. I have conducted a bit of research and found that the following brokers do not specify: Holiday autos, Rentalcars, Carhire 3000, Argus car hire, easyCar. The only broker I found who does specify is Auto-europe.

Over the years I've had to swap problem cars on a few occasions (usually Hertz cars with faulty brakes, ac not working etc) which gives rise to another problem if you have to go back to the airport. Better to choose a company with more town locations (Europcar has the most, Avis, Sixt and Alamo not bad, Hertz very few, Budget, Thrifty and Goldcar none other than airport.).

Another Goldcar rip-off is selling the cdw excess cover. Most low cost companies specify very high excesses - thus making them appear cheap and at the top of the list on broker sites. Europcar seems to have the most reasonable excesses and so no need for extra cover.

Conclusion? Its a minefield but there is absolutely no doubt that Goldcar - and its staff - is an absolute disgrace.

Lancaster, United...
8. Re: Goldcar - worst car rental ever

Oh - and don't forget the credit card scams as well as the fuel scams, insurance scams, damage scams etc.

I've recently noticed that easyCar, whilst they accept most cards for payment when booking, ask you to produce TWO credit cards to collect your vehicle, one of which must be Amex, Diners or Visa Gold! No doubt there are extra fees involved.

krefeld
reviews: 9
9. Re: Goldcar - worst car rental ever

have just received quote from rentalcars.com for car hire at bologna airport in September....very reasonable at 118euros for 5 days. rang and asked which company and to my dismay heard it was Goldcars. Having seen your review and several others, want to avoid them at all costs. Can you recommend anyone reliable at Bologna airport? Driving from there to Umbria...tempted to go by train now but can't find good connections

Aberdeen, United...
10. Re: Goldcar - worst car rental ever

Just back from Italy/Bologna 31/06/13 - I agree with all the above- a bunch of rip off merchants not to mention very rude. Should of walked away when I saw three seperate couples arguing and shouting with them ahead of me.

Stick with the well known companies

Reply to: Goldcar - worst car rental ever
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted