We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

Which Bologna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
reviews: 260
A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

Hi,

I am looking to spend a week in Italy with my boyfriend in late may/early june. I have visited Rome, Venice, Florence etc before so they aren’t must see’s on this trip. We have both decided we would love to see Bologna as it is a little less touristy and has great food. However, we are having trouble revising an itinerary around this! We are unsure whether to just book a return to Bologna and figure plans later, or to do into bologna and out of somewhere else?

I was thinking to head north to Verona and somewhere else up that way, or we could go south and visit Florence on our way down. I am unsure how many places to aim to see in a week, as we don’t usually take 1 week vacations so it is very hard to not overplan! We are planning to use the train move around, we don’t want to drive as it will push costs up and this is our second holiday of the year so we do have to budget, although I am unsure on budget yet!

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on itineraries that take in Bologna in a week – we are interested in food, markets, some shopping, culture but not so much history/art/museums. We like to be independent and not take tours, and we are happy in big cities, small towns or countryside.

Thanks for your help!

UK
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
reviews: 5
1. Re: A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

We are in Bologna at the moment. It is our third holiday here in three years. What we like is to base ourselves here and when we want a change from city life do day trips by train to the smaller towns around and about eg Ferrara, Modena, Ravenna and Parma.

Apart from wandering around, stopping for coffee, popping into the occasional museum/church there is great shopping for all price ranges from a huge market on Fri and Sat to designer labels (it's nice to window shop those ones!). Food and food shops are the big thing here and I have great admiration for a place that has bars/cafes every few yards.

Bologna has lots of visitors for business and leisure, it seems they are mostly Italian at the moment, but seems to cope well. Plus of course the University students so it is a lively place. If you can avoid the times when trade fairs are on because, apart from the pressure on eating places in the evenings, hotel prices can double, treble or even more. Here is a link to

the trade fair dates.

bolognafiere.it/en/…cronologico_corrente

Probably the most important thing is that the all the people we have had dealings with have been so kind and patient with us..

Edited: 10:17 am, April 17, 2012
Vignola, Italy
reviews: 6
2. Re: A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

Hi,

if you want to move by train and have a week probably you can stay all the nights in an hotel in Bologna and make daily trips in other cities/towns. In 1 hour by durect train you can reach Padova, Firenze, Modena, Reggio Emilia, Parma, Ferrara, Ravenna, Verona.... (why not Vignola? our cherries are delicious!). A little more for Venice. So probably the time spent to change hotel every 2/3 days is the same you can spend returning in Bologna for the night.

I suggest you to think to make a daily food tour in province of Bologna, Modena and Parma. It cost more than move by train, but you can visit some producers of Parma's or Modena's ham, Parmigiano-reggiano cheese and traditional balsamic vinagre. Unfortunately the most of this producers are far from the center of the cities, so reach them by public trasport is a little difficult.

Bye

Riccardo

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
reviews: 147
3. Re: A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

Hello, I think you wouldn't have problems to fill one week basing on Bologna: take two days (even three, if you want to do a quite thorough visit) for it, and choose where you can spend the other days: Ferrara, Ravenna, Parma, Modena, Verona, Padova... are all easy and cheap to reach by regional train. You can plan a well diversified itinerary even sleeping the whole week in Bologna, avoiding the hassle of changing hotels. Late May-early June are usually warm enough to bathe, so you can take advantage to go one or two days to the seaside in Romagna.

England
4. Re: A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions - It is great to know we can base ourselves in Bologna and use this as a springboard for everywhere else. This is helpful as we don't have a lot of free time to plan things properly at the moment. I think we will take this advice and look for a hotel in Bologna.

I have bought the Lonely Planet guide and will sit and read it at some point - but can anywhere advise on the best areas to stay within Bologna? I have no idea of the size of the city/town yet, but would like to make sure we are located centrally in a good neighboorhood.

Thanks for all your help!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
5. Re: A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

I highly recommend this incredible B&B:

anticaresidenzadazeglio.it/en/residenza.html

It is simply amazing and I am still thinking of it even though I left it more than 3 weeks ago. It is very near Piazza Maggiore, which is considered "center" from which you can enjoy many of the shops, museums, restaurants, etc.

Here's my rather gushing review of the place but you can see too that there many people gushing about it; it is rather unique:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187801-d1636…

I was fortunate and had the red room for four wonderful days/nights. I will definitely be returning as I did not get a chance to see all I wanted to see in Bologna.

England
6. Re: A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

Wow that B&B really does have great reviews!

I am guessing near to the piazza is an ideal location to be?

Do you know the average cost per night for a standard room for 2?

I am being quite lazy here.. I will check everything out in a little more detail tomorrow!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
7. Re: A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

You need to them email them - they respond quickly to all questions. Like most places, their prices probably vary either by season or in the case of Bologna, by dates the trade fairs are scheduled. I went in off season so I suspect my rate (like in all the places I stayed) was lower at that time.

Perth, Western...
reviews: 303
8. Re: A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

Hi ZuluGoose, try to squeeze a trip to Comacchio. It is a medieval town very alive with events through the spring time and it is famous for their eel farm. Local reastaurant cook them in various yummy recipes.

The journey would be much shorter of those to Padua and Verona.

UK
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
reviews: 5
9. Re: A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

Take a look at these serviced apartments, various sizes.. Personable and helpful manager. Lots of small food shops/restos/cafes around. Five minutes to Piazza Maggiore and ten minutes to the station.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187801-d2325…

Edited: 4:23 am, April 20, 2012
England
10. Re: A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

I think we are planning to come for the 22nd-29th May. How does Bologna compare to Venice/Rome price wise - is it similar or cheaper for food accommodation etc?

Also, are there any good markets in Bologna or the nearby cities?

Thanks!