We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryan Air

Which Bologna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Larnaka, Cyprus
reviews: 5
Ryan Air

I had the worst experience with Ryan Air ground personnel at Bologna airport. I have no words to say about their behavior.

They didn't allow us boarding with absolutely no reason so we ended up paying more than 300 euro per person for a single return trip to Cyprus. In addition to that we had to stay 2 extra nights in Italy as there was nothing cheaper to fly back home.

They didn't give us any options or tried to explain what the problem was. My 2 year old son was with us and not even the fact that the baby was sick and had to go to the doctor could make them act reasonably. They were happy to leave us upset and helpless at the boarding gate.

Be careful people who fly from Bologna with Ryan Air.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Ryan Air

Am I right in thinking that you arrived for your flight later than the advertised closing time?

Larnaka, Cyprus
2. Re: Ryan Air

No we were on time at the gate.

There is no point to say that there was no time as it took them twice the time to trace our luggage and get them off the plane.

Besides that a woman crying and begging to let her child to get on the plane so that he would take him to the doctor tomorrow is beyond any other excuse that the airline may use.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
reviews: 139
3. Re: Ryan Air

It's curious, I flew a lot of times with Ryanair and I never had any problem.

Anyway, I have to say I don't like that one asserts the belonging to a special category to enjoy some privileges. Supposing that Ryanair were wrong, they would have been wrong the same way with anyone else. If a male adult in good health were in your same situation and if they had allowed just you because of your child, they'd have discriminated against the other person, so they'd have behaved even worse.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
4. Re: Ryan Air

I just do not understand what this rant is about. Can you please state clearly exactly what happened?

Piacenza, Italy
reviews: 94
5. Re: Ryan Air

I totally agree with Aristofane on this!

Larnaka, Cyprus
6. Re: Ryan Air

so are you saying that I am using my baby as an excuse?

I wish that you will never be in my situation. Sometimes i am wondering how people think.

Dear Sydneynick

We chack in regularly and everything was ok. At the gate during boarding my wife had a shopping bag with her boots that she was planning to wear them at the gate as they didn't fit on the luggage. They denied boarding as they said that we didn't comply with the company lugagge conditions. They stick to the 3 of us and they didn't allow boarding for the whole 8 of us. How could 8 people who travelled 7 days ago with exactly the same luggage are all wrong?

I have no words to describe their behavior against us. Honestly, I have no reason to lie and I feel sorry when there is people thinking that my son't sickness is not a good reason to be let on the plane. Even if we were wrong a woman crying and a 2 year old boy in need should have made them have a more human approach.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
7. Re: Ryan Air

If your wife had a handbag plus the shopping bag, then I fear you did not comply with RyanAir's luggage conditions, which clearly state that only one piece of cabin baggage is allowed. With all the cheap airlines, and especially RyanAir, the luggage restrictions mean exactly what they say.

Fly with RyanAir if you want only a cheap price. Use someone else if you want service and courtesy.

Larnaka, Cyprus
8. Re: Ryan Air

She had a shopping bag but she was planning to wear the boots inside. She wasn't given the opportunity to do so and besides this I am sure that they didn't realize that the baby was over 2 years and that he was allowed 1 bag.

Sometimes though in life it is not only black and white. If I had a nice explanation, an opportunity to discuss and resolve the issue everything could have been different.

Thanks again for you interest in discussing the issue with me. I really appreciate it.

I was planning a vacation for Christmas and no we will not be able to go as we spent over 1500 euros extra just because of two women's attitude. Is this fair? To work a whole year for a nice family vacation and end up like this?

Latina, Italy
9. Re: Ryan Air

Yes, they can be inflexible and discourteous at Ryanair. I'm sorry it ended like that. I stopped flying with them years ago. If you look around you can often find fares just as cheap as Ryanair and with fewer conditions attached.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
reviews: 139
10. Re: Ryan Air

Sorry, I say that you'd have had to explain your reasons, instead of describing your particular situation with pitful colours at first. I repeat: supposing you were right, or also supposing you were wrong, allowing just you because of the sickness of your child would have meant discriminating against other passengers as right/wrong as you. I'm very very sorry that the child was ill, but it is not the matter in this case. That's what I think.