We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Assisi to Urbino

Which Urbino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mansfield, Texas
reviews: 2
Assisi to Urbino

Hi all,

I am contemplating a day trip from Assisi to Urbino and am wondering if anyone has thoughts on the feasibility of such a trip or could offer tips on trains/buses. As much as I would like to, staying the night in Urbino isn't a possibility for this trip, so I know I won't be able to explore the city as extensively as I should. I want to visit the Palazzo Ducale, but beyond that have no specific plans in mind. Thoughts/advice?

Thanks!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
1. Re: Assisi to Urbino

It's not very straightforward to get to Urbino from Assisi by public transportation. They're not terribly far apart, but they're in two different regions, and bus lines in Italy mostly operate within a region. Plus there's a mountain range in between, and there's no train station in Urbino.

You could take the train from Assisi to Pesaro, but it usually requires two changes of train. However, there is one train a day in each direction that would avoid one of the changes of train. You could leave Assisi at 8:23 and be in Pesaro at 11:22, changing trains in Foligno. From Pesaro, you would have to take a bus to Urbino. It leaves from outside the train station, and the next one would be at 11:55 (on a weekday), arriving in Urbino at 12:40.

On the way back, you could leave Urbino at 4:15 PM and catch the 5:19 train at Pesaro to be back in Assisi at 8:27.

This would give you about 4 hours in Urbino, which would be enough time to see the ducal palace. It would be great if you had enough time to go to the park on the hill above town, from which there is a great view of the palace and the town. We've always driven, so I don't know how long it would take to walk or take a bus. Maybe you could even take a cab there, but I don't know the name of the park, to tell you what address to give the cab driver. The cab could wait for you and take you back to the stop for the bus to Pesaro.

You can see the train schedules here:

ferroviedellostato.it/ferrovie/…inglese.jsp

The bus schedule is here, but it's only in Italian:

http://www.uniurb.it/Uborse/orari.pdf

The crucial words are "feriali" (Monday through Saturday, except holidays) and "festivi" (Sundays and holiday). Also, rapida means an express bus, which takes 45 minutes as opposed to an hour and 15 minutes. You would be better not to try this trip on a Sunday or holiday, as there are fewer buses and hardly any of them are "rapida". I would also suggest carrying a lunch with you to eat on the train, or grabbing something quick at one of the train stations, to avoid wasting time eating in Urbino.

Mansfield, Texas
2. Re: Assisi to Urbino

Thanks for the advice - I think I will make a decision as to when to go once I'm in Assisi.

http://juleslauren.blogspot.com

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
3. Re: Assisi to Urbino

I just remembered that there is a bus from Urbino to Rome. I checked to see if it stops anywhere near Assisi, and see that it stops in Foligno, a short train ride from Assisi, on the superstada (limited access highway) S3. The morning bus leaves Foligno at 9:30 and arrives in Urbino at noon. You might be able to take the train to Foligno, and then a taxi to the stop along the superstrada. It would get you to Urbino 40 minutes earlier than the train.

On the way back, the bus leaves Urbino at 3, which wouldn't give you much time there. However, you could maybe take the bus there, and the train back, to maximize your time in Urbino. Anyway, here is the schedule of that bus:

www.autolineebucci.com/orari/roma-urbino.pdf

It doesn't run on Sundays and holidays.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
reviews: 79
4. Re: Assisi to Urbino

There is a direct bus every Sat. and Sun. in summer from Perugia to Pesaro, stopping at Fano en route. The timetable is geared at beachgoers, so it leaves early and goes back late. You'd need a taxi to reach Perugia from Assisi that early, but continuing from Pesaro or Fano to Urbino and back should be no problem.

http://www.apmperugia.it/canale.asp?id=49

Mansfield, Texas
5. Re: Assisi to Urbino

Thank you both for information! I'll look into the different options and see if I can figure out something feasible!

juleslauren.blogspot.com

6. Re: Assisi to Urbino

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, October 02, 2009