We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it possible to see the area on public transport

Which Marche hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
reviews: 5
is it possible to see the area on public transport

hi I am keen to spend a week or more in le Marche but will be relying on public transport. which is possibly a bit limiting. Will be arriving in Italy at Rome or Milan (from NZ) and going onto Budapest or Prague . I love wandering around old towns , parks museums etc Not interested in sitting on a beach all day. I was keen to see Ascoli Picena but that look s like it could be difficult.

Any advise please on best place to stay or a suggested itinerary.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
1. Re: is it possible to see the area on public transport

Ideally, a car is the best way to get around Le Marche, but you can see a good deal by public transportation, especially if you don't mind taking it a little slower. There is a train from San Benedetto del Tronto to Ascoli Piceno, so that shouldn't be a problem. There are two major train lines and two minor lines, as well as numerous bus companies.

One major line runs along the Adriatic coast, connecting Bologna to the southern regions on the Adriatic. The other major line joins Rome to Ancona, where the two major lines meet. The minor lines both run from Fabriano, which is on the Rome-Ancona line. One goes north (just a few times a day) to Pergola, on a rather scenic route. This is substituted by buses as some times of the year. The other runs south from Fabriano to Civitanova Marche, on the coast. Several times a day there is a train from Fabriano that continues south from Civitanova to San Benedetto del Tronto and goes back inland to Ascoli Piceno. The entire route, from Fabriano to Ascoli Piceno is over three hours. This is also a very scenic route, and there are lots of towns along the route that are worth visiting, such as Matelica, Camerino, San Severino Marche, Tolentino, Macerata, and Offida. Many of these towns are on hilltops, so you would need transportation up to the towns.

Fabriano might be a good base, if you don't want to stay on the coast. It's a nice town in its own right, and there are a number of places in the vicinity to visit, either by train or bus. Plus, you could take the direct train to Ascoli Piceno, or one of those that require a change somewhere along the line. There are also buses from Fabriano to a number of charming villages in the vicinity, such as Pioraco, a lovely village in the upper Potenza valley. If you like, I can greatly expand on the possibilities.

From the coast, you can take buses to towns in the interior. The most important such town is Urbino, a beautiful small Renaissance city connected by frequent fast buses to Pesaro and Fano, on the coast. The medieval walled town of Corinaldo can be reached by bus from Senigallia.

The airport at Falconara (FCO) has daily direct flights to Rome, Munich, and London. It also has scheduled flights to Paris, Madrid, Brussels, and a number of other cities. You could probably make a connection to Prague or Budapest by changing in Munich.

You can see the train schedules here:

http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

If you want information on buses, let me know. There are several different companies and no central schedules, but if there's a town you want to visit, I'll do my best to track down the buses.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
reviews: 23
2. Re: is it possible to see the area on public transport

You could also try to use this website:

orari.trasporti.marche.it/prod2/bw.asp…

Unfortunately, it may be a bit of a challenge using it if you know no Italian.

There are also specific websites for the various local bus companies.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
3. Re: is it possible to see the area on public transport

You can get a fairly decent translation of that web site by pasting the URL into translate.google.com . I suggest you just enter the name of the town of departure and arrival in the Location fields, and forget about points of interest and addresses. Most small towns don't have more than one bus stop, so these fine details only add complications. After you've submitted the request, the solution page will also be in Italian, so you'll have to paste that into translate.google.com too. Usually Google translates the links as well, but this time the next page is provided by a script.

San Benedetto Del...
reviews: 292
4. Re: is it possible to see the area on public transport

I live in San Benedetto a small town neighbors to Ascoli Piceno.(27km)

You can turn the Marche using public transport but I advise you to use the train on the coast and buses to the interior.

From Rome there are several buses to get Marche

Here are the sites of the bus

http://www.romamarchelinee.it/

http://www.startspa.it/

I know little English but if you need help I will try to help me with google.

I am really pleased to help you.

Auckland, New...
5. Re: is it possible to see the area on public transport

Thank you so much for your replies. I m delighted to see my plan is possible. I love travelling by trains and even buses and have no desire to rush any where! i can spend up to 2 weeks there. And i love seeing the less' touristy' side of Italy. I've been studying Italian so know the very basics and am very keen to be somewhere that i have to try to speak it as opposed to Rome etc where it seems every one speaks English.. I will consider your replies and be in touch again with more questions . I intend going next May so have time to plan.

Again thank you. Melanie

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
6. Re: is it possible to see the area on public transport

Given your preferences, I think maybe Fabriano would be a good base. Unfortunately, I can't recommend places to stay, as I live too near there to ever need a hotel. You would want to be near the train station, to make it easier to get from place to place. Other than Fabriano, some town on the coast would be a good choice. I think Senigallia and Fano would be good bases for bus trips into the interior. If you stay in either of those places, you might spend a week there, and a week in Ascoli Piceno.

You might want to look at my web albums:

https:/…103958898989900585414

These are from places in Le Marche: Gola dell'Infernaccio, Ascoli Piceno, Offida (near Ascoli on the train line from Fabriano), Torre di Palme,Fiuminata and vicinity, Senigallia, and Le Marche, various (obviously).

Auckland, New...
7. Re: is it possible to see the area on public transport

I enjoyed looking at your photos. Can't wait to see the area myself. I have decided to bus from Rome to Ascoli Piceno , then to Fabriano by train then to Fano. I m now keen to see Urbino. Will fly out of Ancano. Will stay 4 or 5 nights in each place. Does this sound ok? Thanks Melanie

8. Re: is it possible to see the area on public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, October 27, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Marche