We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatican....Tour Guide or not???

Michigan, USA
Vatican....Tour Guide or not???

I'm in panic mode as we are leaving next week and plan to visit the Vatican/Sistine Chapel/Basilica on Friday, 9/22. Any recommendations for a guide? I've tried a couple, but they are booked. Please advise....shall we attempt this on our own?

New York City, New...
reviews: 5
1. Re: Vatican....Tour Guide or not???

If you go it on your own, for an extra 5,50 euro you can buy the audio guide. Here's the link for you to check it out:

…vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Serviz…

Enjoy!

Sydney
reviews: 37
2. Re: Vatican....Tour Guide or not???

I am coming in mid-Oct. And I plan to use the audio guide. I think touurs are too rushed. Most seem to be only 2 hours.

MIchigan
3. Re: Vatican....Tour Guide or not???

We are going on the same day and I booked one through the vatican for 21.5 euro's. You need to fax the booking a week ahead of time.

eddie

New York City, New...
4. Re: Vatican....Tour Guide or not???

Gecko,

Did you get confirmation from the Vatican yet? You can book 30 days to one week before your requested date. I still have a few more days to wait before I can book for Oct. 19. If I get shut out I'll do the audio tour and go around 1 pm. Rumor has it the lines are shorter at that time of day.

citizen of the world
reviews: 25
5. Re: Vatican....Tour Guide or not???

I can't stress enough NOT to do it on your own...The Vatican Museum is huge literally thousands of pieces of art. A guide, particularly an Italian one, will make the art come alive. Plus, with the right company you get in early before the others guests are allowed in. That alone was worth it to us. We went to the Vatican Museum/St Peter's Basilica/St. Peter's Square on a tour by Argenium through Expedia...The price to get in and avoid the crowds was worth it...but it was inexpensive to be able to see all the sights. If you don't do a tour, you will be stuck in a line at least a mile long. We arrived early at 6:45 am and still there was a line. Here is the website adress for the company

www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=tsdt

Go, it is unbelieveable experience that you will remember the rest of your life...

ontario
reviews: 3
6. Re: Vatican....Tour Guide or not???

When you book directly by fax to the Vatican, do you request a particular time or will they designate one for you?

New York City, New...
7. Re: Vatican....Tour Guide or not???

There are three choices. 10:30 am, noon and 2 pm. I would put your choices in order but I guess you get what's available. Be sure to tell them you want an English tour because there is one in Italian as well.

MIchigan
8. Re: Vatican....Tour Guide or not???

I told my bed and breakfast owner I wanted to book and she faxed it in for me. I don't know the details of time yet.

eddie

9. Re: Vatican....Tour Guide or not???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, August 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Vatican City