We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 30-Free Sunday at Vatican (crowds?)

Macomb, Michigan
reviews: 3
June 30-Free Sunday at Vatican (crowds?)

We are a family of four (2 adults and 2 teen girls ages 15,18) considering a free Sunday at the Vatican this summer (June 30).

Do you advise we do this, or are the crowds too much at the end of June?

What time do people start lining up in the morning?

Lyme Regis, United...
reviews: 43
1. Re: June 30-Free Sunday at Vatican (crowds?)

Well, its March now and the queues start around 8-30. For free Sunday in June I'd say it will be a manic hectic nightmare. I'd be tempted to go the day before and pay, because the crowds will be awful. If you do go, make it as early as possible. Have fun!

New York
reviews: 28
2. Re: June 30-Free Sunday at Vatican (crowds?)

The crowds in the Vatican are horrendous to begin with. I cannot imagine how much worse they will be when it's free.

Macomb, Michigan
reviews: 3
3. Re: June 30-Free Sunday at Vatican (crowds?)

Thank-you for the response!

We've decided to purchase tickets for the evening tour of the Vatican, which will take place on the Friday evening before the free Sunday (The evening tours are only available during certain months of the year, only on Friday evenings.) I've read too many reviews about free Sundays that all same the same thing---hectic crowds and long lines!

On the next day, Saturday, the Vatican will be closed due to a holy day/papal mass. So, our choices are either the Friday evening tour, or go on free Sunday, as we'll be there for only 3 days----We'll go for the evening tour!

Ontario Canada
reviews: 61
4. Re: June 30-Free Sunday at Vatican (crowds?)

We did a free Sunday in Oct. and we ended up paying for a tour guide. They promised us they would get us in the front of the line. Since the lineup was many blocks long, we paid.

The tour group gets in to the front by butting in line I felt so badly but there were other tour groups doing the same thing. It appeared to be accepted.

The Sistine Chapel was so packed that it was not enjoyable at all. Think of a Tokyo subway at rush hour. Guards were screaming at people every few moments. Even with all of that, the Vatican tour was definitely the highlight of Rome for us. Make sure you climb up the dome. Nothing like it.

You made the right choice to go Friday evening.

Ocean City, MD
reviews: 7
5. Re: June 30-Free Sunday at Vatican (crowds?)

Here's a current thread from the Rome Forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k62367…

6. Re: June 30-Free Sunday at Vatican (crowds?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 11, 2014