We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Rome to Tivoli

Which Tivoli hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, TX
Day trip from Rome to Tivoli

Would like to know best and most econmical way to make a day trip to Tivoli from Rome. Would like to see Villa D'Este and Hadrian's Villa.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 98
1. Re: Day trip from Rome to Tivoli

Cotral buses run to Tivoli. Their Head Office is on 06 57 531 and there isd a toll free line for use when you are in Italy on800 431 784.

Tickets were based on distance and were roughly 0.77 euro for a 20 kilometre ticket (c.12 miles) and 4.39 euros for a 125 kilometre ticket (c.78 miles). They have probably gone up slightly by now.

New York, New York
reviews: 4
2. Re: Day trip from Rome to Tivoli

I would like to jump on this post because I am looking for planning advise for a day trip to tivoli. I am assuming from your post you can only take a bus. Where would that leave from? About how long a trip is it? Finally if you know, can I spend less than a full day there (I want to go the kids don't) if I maybe only see the Villa D'Este.

THanks.

nashville
reviews: 14
3. Re: Day trip from Rome to Tivoli

I wouldn't drop Villa Adriana -- it is such a wonderful

ruin -- two interesting pools surrounded by ruins -- just a really great place

I odn't know how old the kids are but one way to design this type trip is to put the kids in charge of planning some of the time and then =expecting them to participate gladly in your stuff just as you participate gladly in their stuff

Los Angeles...
reviews: 7
4. Re: Day trip from Rome to Tivoli

For travelbug22,

I just got back from Italy and did my own day trip to Villa d'Este. I didn't go to Hadrian's Villa (partly because it was so hot the day I was out there), so I can advise that you don't have to do both. In fact, the Villa d'Este is a bus ride away from Hadrian's villa - it's not even a walkable distance for kids anyway, and it's a one hour hot bus ride just to get from Ponte Mammolo bus station to Tivoli in the first place. If you do just Villa d'Este you should plan for an hour each way and maybe 2 1/2 to 3 hours just exploring the villa and gardens. I loved lingering around in amazement at what it must have been like back in the day.

I have no doubt Hadrian's Villa is amazing, but I only did the one and quite enjoyed myself.

Have fun!

Los Angeles...
reviews: 7
5. Re: Day trip from Rome to Tivoli

Travelbug22,

BTW, take the Rome metro to Ponte Mammolo, exit Metro, go upstairs to buy ticket for bus to Tivoli (don't exit at street level where the other bus stops are, you have to go upstairs to the Tivoli bus). The ticket seller will confirm for you where to stand and wait (there are several platforms upstairs, but there's also a digital screen telling you which is Tivoli bus). Must add, since this bus goes outside Rome area, you can't use the 75 minute ticket you used on the Metro even if it's still valid. You need to buy a separate ticket for the Tivoli bus.

Good luck.

Marquette, Michigan
reviews: 35
6. Re: Day trip from Rome to Tivoli

Buy a Roma PIU Pass, it should be good out to the Villas of Tivoli.

Canada
7. Re: Day trip from Rome to Tivoli

which way is better? going by bus or going by train? I'm going to rome in may and I plan to do a day trip to see Villa D'Este as well!!

Kamloops, BC...
8. Re: Day trip from Rome to Tivoli

You don't say how old your kid are - but - don't short-change yourself. It's your vacation, too, and you deserve to see the things you want to see. Go to see both locations and don't rush through them. Take the time you need to enjoy them.

If you're going to take your kids with you - warn them that if they whine, you will do the same going through the places they want to see, and then give them an immediate preview of what that would be like. Be sure to be loud enough that you attract attention. It's a pretty effective practice, and results in great leverage down the road. Sometimes you have to behave like a kid to impress a kid, and it's more socially acceptable than killing them.

Bristol, United...
9. Re: Day trip from Rome to Tivoli

IIh56 - going by bus is much better as it is about a 2 mile walk from the train station to Villa d'Este and can sometimes be a little longer than the bus (assuming the traffic is good).

However, the bus stops right outside Villa d'Este and if you want to go from there to Hadrian's Villa afterwards, there is another direct bus link (again, just too far to walk between the two).

cyprus
10. Re: Day trip from Rome to Tivoli

I want to know how can we go to Tivoli to see the Villa Adriana,Villa D'Este and Villa Gregoriana? is far away from Rome? and how minutes we want for each.

We prefair to go with train if they have a train of course.

Thanks a lot,

Niki