We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise and Flight back home?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Independence...
Cruise and Flight back home?

We are taking a Royal Caribbean Cruise this summer that departs/returns from Rome (or that long cruise departure city name that I cannot spell). The ship docks Thursday morning, and the travel agent was going to book us on a flight back to the US (Kansas City) on that same day. I have traveled A LOT in the US but very little internationally, but I have to think that with docking, the time to get to the airport, customs, etc, that maybe it would be better to fly out friday? Or could we reasonably make it to the airport and back on Thursday? The latest departure time is 11:30, but most flights available leave at 9:30 AM, Thoughts? I am getting ready to book the plane tickets soon and I want to make sure we do what's best. Thanks!

Jennifer

Jennifer

San Francisco...
reviews: 11
1. Re: Cruise and Flight back home?

Well hopefully you are going to spend a few days in Rome...perhaps before your 'cruise'. It pains me to think of flying halfway round the world to just take a cruise. There are many sources of transportation between the port and the airport...

Independence...
2. Re: Cruise and Flight back home?

Oh ABSOLUTLY YES, we are coming in four days early for that reason. I know it seems crazy if it was just my decision it would be yes its another day, flying half way around the world what is one more day, but some people in my traveling party... are being difficult and if I can say that others think its crazy then I have one argument in my corner.

I actually spent a month in Spain and France when I was back in College (I am a BFA in Art so yes I know I should know better) but said person above is paying for a big portion of the trip, so I can only complain so much. I mean really an almost free trip to Rome? Uh yeah Im going.

Jennifer

Edited: 9:09 pm, February 05, 2014
United States
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 13
3. Re: Cruise and Flight back home?

It is very doubtful that you would be able to leave the ship, get from Civitavecchia to the airport (FCO, I presume) the recommended 3 hrs before the latest flight. If there is any hiccup on the docking time and transfer, you will be out an very expensive ticket. I'd suggest the you give yourself a cushion and stay overnight in Rome.

TAB

Destination Expert
for Naples
reviews: 16
4. Re: Cruise and Flight back home?

The 11:30 flight is certainly do-able, but earlier would be a push. The 9:30 would be crazy as it's about an hour drive from the port at Civitavecchia to the airport.

The three hours prior arrival time is for flights directly to the States on US-branded carriers (American, Delta, United, US Air) as these flights leave from the higher security T5 terminal. Checking in and going through security at this terminal takes longer.

If you are on a flight that connects somewhere in Europe on the way home, two hours prior is an acceptable arrival time as you will depart from the main terminals and go through passport control at the next airport.

United States
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 13
5. Re: Cruise and Flight back home?

Making the 11:30 flight with the suggested 3 hr preflight arrival time would mean being off the ship and on your way by 7:30. Check with your cruise line for their docking time. Not everyone gets to get off the ship immediately on arrival. I still think you are taking a big chance.

TAB

New York City, New...
reviews: 20
6. Re: Cruise and Flight back home?

I can't believe you were planning on flying nonstop to Kansas City. There are nonstop flights from Rome to Kansas City? You must have to change somewhere along the way.

Alitalia has traditionally had, I think, a departure from Rome to JFK that left around 2pm, getting into NY around 5 or 6 pm local time, and I believe that was the last departure of the day for the NYC area. That would be too late for you to get a flight to KC? If it is, you could always take your time with customs and immigration, spend a night in NY, and leave early the next day for KC.

Alternatively, you could leave Rome in the afternoon for a place like London or Paris, from which there are later flights to NYC (leaving 6-8 pm local times).

FInally, you can just spend a night at the Rome Airport and leave the next day. I have stayed a couple of times at the Rome Airport Hilton.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
reviews: 14
7. Re: Cruise and Flight back home?

I suggest you spend the night in Rome and fly out the next day. Even if someone is paying the majority for the trip one night shouldn't matter as far as flight costs go. If the tickets aren't booked yet just let them know that you'll want to spend the night (on your own dime) and you'll fly out the next morning.

Before mentioning this I would check with the cruise line to see what time they plan on docking and what the earliest time is that you can be off the ship. I would then tell them that with the hour of travel to the airport plus the 3 hours prior to the flight you don't believe there will be enough time to make the flight. Be sure to have your argument ready.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
8. Re: Cruise and Flight back home?

Is the above-mentioned expert going to pay for replacement tickets if you miss your flight? If not, I wouldn't risk it. I would never plan to take an international flight the same morning I arrive at the cruise port.All sorts of things can delay you.

It's Civitavecchia, by the way.

Destination Expert
for Naples
reviews: 16
9. Re: Cruise and Flight back home?

It's true, all kinds of things can delay you and if you have a low threshold for risk, flying out the same day is not for you. If you can spare the extra day it's always better to stay over, if only to end your cruise on a calm note, vs. a tension-filled frenzy.

Sometimes, however, people simply don't have the extra day.

Some cruise lines arrive at 5 AM, I just looked at the RCI site and they list arrival at 7 AM for their 7-night western med cruises. Making the 11:30 flight (assuming this is an inter-Schengen first leg) would mean doing self-disembarkation (carrying your own bags off the ship) and having a car waiting to take you directly to the airport. And of course the ship could be delayed arriving, or delayed in clearing port processes.

Do check with RCI and ask what is the earliest flight you can take if you use their shuttle service. That will give you an idea of their experience with getting folks safely to the airport for flights.

You might also try posting on cruise critic and finding out what others on your sailing are doing. You might be able to hook up with others to share the cost of a car service to the airport: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/

Edited: 8:39 am, February 06, 2014
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
10. Re: Cruise and Flight back home?

I have a pretty good tolerance for risk, but not when the consequences of a negative outcome are the possibility of having to buy last-minute one-way plane tickets at €3000 per person.