We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to Italy for 19. Rome lodging and Itinerary help

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dover, Ohio
reviews: 101
Family trip to Italy for 19. Rome lodging and Itinerary help

My siblings and parents would like to go to Italy next June. We were thinking of using Rome as a home base. Does anyone have any advice on a place to stay, places to travel to, or whether to fly into Rome and out of Venice. Any advice is welcome. 7 - 10 days

Missouri
reviews: 24
1. Re: Family trip to Italy for 19. Rome lodging and Itinerary help

I just clicked on the "vacation rentals" tab and found several lodging options for you. You might look those over, if you all want to stay together. If you want to see both Rome and Venice, I would suggest flying into Venice then taking the train to Rome, and flying home from Rome.

Dover, Ohio
reviews: 101
2. Re: Family trip to Italy for 19. Rome lodging and Itinerary help

I am curious why you prefer flying into Venice rather than Rome? I will check on the vacation rentals tab, thanks. Yes, we are looking to stay together.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
reviews: 14
3. Re: Family trip to Italy for 19. Rome lodging and Itinerary help

I don't know that there's much difference between flying into Rome or Venice. I would double check to make sure that flying into or out of Venice doesn't include and additional change of flight but other than that the choice is yours.

Personally, with 19 people I would stay in one place. The logistics of getting everyone from one city to the other is going to be a nightmare. There is a ton to see and do in Rome and you can always take day trips to other areas, either as a large group or as smaller groups. 7-10 days is not a lot of time and you'll be slowed down by a group that large.

I just returned from a family trip where there were 16 or us. Even with great planning things still never went as planned. Some people run late and just can't seem to be ready to leave before 10 or 11 while others are up and going at 7 or 8. It will be a challenge so be sure to really have a good plan in order.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
4. Re: Family trip to Italy for 19. Rome lodging and Itinerary help

People often recommend flying into Venice and out of Rome for two reasons. First, if you're arriving from outside Europe, it's considered a good place to relax and recover from a long flight. Second, unless you're flying within Europe, flying home from Venice usually involves a very early flight, because there are no intercontinental flights from Venice, so you need to make a connection at a larger airport. There's a greater selection of late-morning flights from Rome than from Venice.

Missouri
reviews: 24
5. Re: Family trip to Italy for 19. Rome lodging and Itinerary help

Bvlenci had my answer--you have to fly out really early. And if you are staying in Venice, that means a logistical nightmare getting to the airport, especially with 19 people. Plus it is lovely to fly in over the city. :)

6. Re: Family trip to Italy for 19. Rome lodging and Itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 23, 2014