We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FCO (9AM) to Civitavecchia(3:30PM) ...visit Rome first?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
FCO (9AM) to Civitavecchia(3:30PM) ...visit Rome first?

Hello

Flight arrives FCO 9 AM ...need to be at Cruise 3:30 for 5PM departure Want to not waste day / time. Looking to go into Rome with Private Driver to Visit Colosseum and/or Forum then onto ship. Is this "doable" and worth the Double price (private driver) from 135 - 150e.... to 250-300e? ....Suggestions on Private Companies?

thxs very much for talking the time to answer.

NY
reviews: 69
1. Re: FCO (9AM) to Civitavecchia(3:30PM) ...visit Rome first?

Yes, it is doable but you will have only about 3.5-4 hours in Rome so you also need to prebook an entry to the Colosseum or plan to join a tour outside or learn how to buy the ticket at the Forum and then over to the Col.

Or your driver could perhaps arrange a tour for you. You can google car services, romecabs might do it

But the above is just an answer to your questions - you could also do LE train to Termini station, store your luggage there, then metro to Col, then back to Termini retrieve your luggage and on to port for a lot less money

Philadelphia...
2. Re: FCO (9AM) to Civitavecchia(3:30PM) ...visit Rome first?

thxs very much for reply. I'm with Family so going, storing etc...not going to happen. :-) will fig out how to "pre-book"... to that note...do you think with a "pre-book" i could do Vatican instead and NOT these other 2 ...and still make ship? I know Vatican probably takes longer but would be my preference. again THXS!

NY
3. Re: FCO (9AM) to Civitavecchia(3:30PM) ...visit Rome first?

Yes you could do the Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel instead, plus a look into St. Peter's Basilica

You need to book the Vatican Museum entry and tour in advance and make sure you allow time to get to it.

After spending 3 or 4 hours in the museum you will be ready for a ride in the car service. It can be very crowed and hot in there, hope your family is up to it if you have a long flight before arriving Rome

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
4. Re: FCO (9AM) to Civitavecchia(3:30PM) ...visit Rome first?

I certainly wouldn't want to visit the Vatican Museums after a long flight. In fact, I would never again visit there in the summer, period.

Will you be back in Rome after the cruise? If not, I suggest the following:

Have the driver take you to the Colosseum, but just admire it from the outside, and then walk along Via dei Fori Imperiali to see Constantine's Arch and some of the ruins of the ancient Roman Forum on one side of the road, and the Imperial Forums, Trajan's Market, and Trajan's Column on the other side. All of this will take half an hour to 45 minutes. Then have the driver take you to the Pantheon. Go inside to see the amazing dome, which is about 2000 years old. For over 1000 years it was the world's largest dome, and it's still the largest unreinforced concrete dome. The hole in the center (the oculus) was the only lighting, and there's a drain in the floor below it to carry away rain water. Then walk to Piazza Navona, and admire the fountains there. This stop will take another half hour to 45 minutes. Then go to St. Peter's Square, and admire the square. If the security line isn't very long, you could go inside to have a quick look at Michelangelo's Pietà sculpture and Bernini's altar canopy. Another 45 minutes to one hour.

Altogether, including getting from place to place, this would be 3 to 3 1/2 hours and should be possible if all goes well. If you book a tour of any sort, and your flight is late, your money will be wasted. The advantage of the plan I've outlined is that there are no appointments, and if your flight is late, you can cut out some of the things that are less important to you. If the flight is early, or if you're a bit ahead of schedule after the ancient Roman part, you can squeeze in Trevi fountain before the Pantheon. Throw a coin in so you'll return!

NY
5. Re: FCO (9AM) to Civitavecchia(3:30PM) ...visit Rome first?

I was just answering the OP's question first re the col, and then the Vatican which they wanted to see

But overall I think without knowing the family make up, etc then it falls in my category of "....gee we shouldn't even be doing this" If after a long flight and the airport procedure with three other people and baggage in tow, unless there is no chance to get back to Rome ever, I would see how early I could board the cruise ship for a little rest if needed, maybe with just a quick drive-by a few sights in Rome. I know I could not do all those stops even with a driver in hot weather after a long flight, but perhaps OP are all young and in good condition.

If OP had asked first, I think we would have said arrive a day or two earlier before the cruise and take Rome in an easier way.

Anyway, OP you now have a couple opinions and Bvlenci's itinerary is a good one if you have the stamina

Philadelphia...
6. Re: FCO (9AM) to Civitavecchia(3:30PM) ...visit Rome first?

THXS so much for this..You have really helped giving me some ideas. again THXS!!

Piacenza, Italy
reviews: 1
7. Re: FCO (9AM) to Civitavecchia(3:30PM) ...visit Rome first?

No really need to hire a private driver.

Trains and metro are by far faster than a car in Roman traffic.

1. From FCO take FM1 train to Ostiense station (30-35 minutes); beware, do not take train for Termini.

2. 200 metres walk and you will reach Metro.

3. Take Metro B (direction Rebibbia) or B1 (direction Conca d'Oro) (it's the same), 10 minutes to Colosseo station.

4. Visit Colosseo and Fori Imperiali.

5. Return to Ostiense station via Metro (direction Laurentina) (B or B1 is the same as well)

6. From Ostiense station take a train for Civitavecchia. ALL trains for Civitavecchia stop at Ostiense station. No need to book train tickets. Buy those at the station. Fares are very low.

7. Last useful (for you) train starts at 13.56 from Roma Ostiense and arrives to Civitavecchia at 15.01. Be aware that Civitavecchia port is 15 mins walk from Civitavecchia station.

8. You will not have enough time to visit other places, like San Pietro, in such a small time, EVEN hiring a private driver.

9. Have a nice trip!

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
reviews: 32
8. Re: FCO (9AM) to Civitavecchia(3:30PM) ...visit Rome first?

If you have suitcases and are not familiar with the trains, it may be easier and faster to have a driver take you to see your preferred choices.Rome Cabs is highly recommended.

9. Re: FCO (9AM) to Civitavecchia(3:30PM) ...visit Rome first?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 29, 2014