We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Colosseum Plans etc

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Help with Colosseum Plans etc

We are a family of 4 (kids 11 and 13) visiting Rome for 7 nights from Sept 18. I am attempting to schedule things for the first few days as we will be with extended family for the later part. We will be staying relatively near the Colosseum (think Milano is closest stop)

When we arrive on Sept 18, we will probably just walk around and see the neighbourhood, have to narrow down those plans a little. So I was looking at Colosseum etc on Thursday, Vatican Museum Friday night and Ostia Antica on Saturday.

I'm trying to figure out my Colosseum plans, which to see first Colosseum or Forum/Palatine Hill, what time of day to go, whether I should see everything on Thursday or to save some for Friday morning. Then I started wondering if I should add the underground tour and if so when to do that and how that would impact my touring plans and the way I get my tickets. Is the tour worth it? Can you just book the tour part and buy tickets on site if you want to see the Forum before the tour. Then I notice that Underground tours are only on the schedule until August 31 and past years should it could be a while before the 2nd half of September is added. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Philadelphia...
reviews: 38
1. Re: Help with Colosseum Plans etc

We just returned from a family vacation to Rome. Not sure I can answer all questions, but we took the underground tour and I was very glad we did! I think this is the only way you can get down to the ground level AND then climb to the 3rd level for a great view of the interior and views of the Forum/Palatine. Plus, we found the guide to be very knowledgeable. With our kids (12&14) we thought it was very helpful to give them some context and the tour did just that! The tour we took last about an hour and 30 minutes. There was a sizable exhibit on Constantine that could also occupy some time. We elected to return to The Forum the following day (the ticket entitles you to access on two consecutive days), but you could probably squeeze both into one day...hope that helps some!!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
reviews: 12
2. Re: Help with Colosseum Plans etc

I would try to go as early as you can. There's not a lot of shade and it does get hot. As for order, that's really up to you. There is no right or wrong answer for this. You can book the underground tour only by calling and telling them you already have entry tickets (even if you don't and plan to buy them onsite). I wouldn't wait until arriving to book the tour as it's very popular and sells out.

Historically, they release September dates starting in mid August. It shouldn't be an issue getting tickets or booking the tour once the tickets are released.

Donna

Canada
3. Re: Help with Colosseum Plans etc

Thanks. It seems like the earliest English Underground tour is 9:41am, assuming it will be the same in September. We are still undecided about whether to book the tour. I usually don't book many tours as the kids get bored if you have a bad guide. But it sounds like this one gets good reviews.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
reviews: 12
4. Re: Help with Colosseum Plans etc

It's a very interesting tour and you get to visit areas of the colosseum that are not open to the general public. Both my kids (21 and 18) really enjoyed it as did my niece and nephew (9 and 6). They were not bored at all and took tons of pictures.

Donna

Hinsdale, IL
reviews: 91
5. Re: Help with Colosseum Plans etc

We just returned on Thursday. We did book the Underground Tour and it was fabulous. Our boys are 14 and 16 and they loved it. Guide really makes you understand what it was all about in a whole new way. We pre-printed our tickets and brought them with us. It was great walking past everyone waiting in the 1 1/2 hour line that hadn't pre-booked. We literally walked right in. Dbabe is right and has been a great source of info on this topic. Go early. It was very hot. The tickets were sold out for the tour in the morning that you were looking at so we had to take noon. By the time we finished the boys didn't want to go to the Forum. Sunscreen, water and a hat highly recommended. Enjoy!!!

6. Re: Help with Colosseum Plans etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 23, 2014