We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompeii - day orovernight visit?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
reviews: 22
Pompeii - day orovernight visit?

We'll be in Rome for eight days in September, and I'm starting to get my itinery together now!

I'm trying to decide whether we should just visit Pompeii for one day or have an overnight stay. I know that if we go for a day it will be tiring but then it does leave longer to explore in Rome. Any recommendations or advice for either method, including where to stay would be appreciated.

Would Sunday be a good day to visit Pompeii, as many places may be closed in Rome?Then again, I'd quite like to visit a Sunday market in Rome!

Ah, the decisions!! I used to just roughly plan options with the final decision being made depending on how we felt on any given day, but now with online booking being so attractive to avoid queuing, it seems more advance planning is required!

Edited: 5:35 pm, July 18, 2013
10 replies to this topic
Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
1. Re: Pompeii - day orovernight visit?

Oops, please excuse typo in title!

Maryland
2. Re: Pompeii - day orovernight visit?

I too am planning a trip from Rome to Pompeii and we've chosen to do just a day trip so we don't have to change hotels. I know it will be a long day but I feel like it would be even longer if we had to pack everything, bring our luggage on the train, then check in to a hotel before going to Pompeii.

I don't know what days would be best for Pompeii but I believe Monday is the day in Rome that a lot of museums are closed, not Sunday. The Vatican museums are closed on Sunday though.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
reviews: 91
3. Re: Pompeii - day orovernight visit?

I would say just go for the day. Leave as early as you can - there are a number of train options these days. I use Trenitalia which departs from Roma Termini and gets to Naples in 1 hr 10 minutes.

http://www.trenitalia.com/trenitalia.html

Once you get to Napoli Centrale (the main station where your train will terminate) follow the directive signs to the Napoli Garibaldi downstairs basement Circumvesuviana train service which will take you to Pompeii. It costs 4.20 euros return - buy a ticket right beside the barriers (you can't buy these in advance). It takes about 40-50 minutes to Pompeii. Just do the same journey in reverse to get back to Rome. Tickets for Pompeii cost 11 euros. Try and get there (and I know this may be difficult) by 8.30am when Pompeii opens as it is one of Italy's most popular sites and can get very, very crowded when the cruise and bus tours all arrive at around 10-11am.

This is the schedule for the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii.

eavcampania.it/web/…sorrento_0.pdf

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
reviews: 141
4. Re: Pompeii - day orovernight visit?

Day trip. Left Rome early and arrived at 11 AM. Ate lunch across from the entrance. Stayed 4-5 hours then headed back. Arrived 11:30 PM. Long day but well worth it. Happy travels!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 21
5. Re: Pompeii - day orovernight visit?

Very little is closed in Rome on a Sunday, other than some shops, and, as BFinn says, the Vatican Museums. A lot of museums are closed on Mondays, but there are also plenty of things open, such as the Colosseum, Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill; the Baths of Caracalla; and the Vatican Museums, as well as a number of private museums.

I agree that the nuisance of changing hotels for one night would discourage me from almost any overnight trip. Also, you'd travel much lighter without dragging your luggage along. It would be different if you were planning to stay for several days and see other things in the area.

Edited: 11:21 am, July 19, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Pompeii - day orovernight visit?

Hello

It's not actually that long a day if you get fast trains both ways and leave early. We left Rome (in May) at 7.35 and arrived in Naples at 8.45. We stopped off for a cuppa in Naples (which was actually empty at that time of day) and then caught the Circumvesiana train. There was a bit of a queue for tickets at the entrance to Pompeii but nothing major and we were in shortly after 10.30. We left again at 2 - the heat was enough for us, and there had been such a lot to take in. We came back on an intercity train in first class (to see some different scenery!). It was delayed in getting to Naples from Palermo, so we should have been home at 6.30. All in all it was a really doable day, and you could spend much longer like @worldtraveller if you were really interested in doing do. I blogged about it here - …wordpress.com/2013/05/28/pompeii-via-naples/ but it's worth looking at some of the videos on Youtube that walk you through Naples station and the process of buying the Circumvesuviana tickets.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
7. Re: Pompeii - day orovernight visit?

Ok , thanks, looks like it's a day trip then!

I wouldn't have dragged all our luggage, just an overnight bag. Our hotel is booked right through in Rome, and I was just wondering about using some points for a "free" hotel night in Naples/ Rome area, but maybe it's still too short a time to see little more than Pompeii.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 21
8. Re: Pompeii - day orovernight visit?

There's lots to see in that area, if you could spend three or four nights.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
9. Re: Pompeii - day orovernight visit?

I think you're right bvlenci. We'll have to make do with a day trip to Pompeii and make the most of our time in Rome - then come back in the future to explore other areas!

Philadelphia...
10. Re: Pompeii - day orovernight visit?

We did a day trip to Pompeii this past week and it worked very well. We took the earliest train we could out of Rome (Italo) and transferred to the Circumvesuviana in Naples. We reached Pomepii Scavi a little after 9am and were able to get into the site before the hordes! When we crossed back through the forum after an hour exploring, it was getting really busy! In the heat of summer, we found that we could spend only about three and half hours there. Alas, I would have liked to stay longer, but for many this would be sufficient! When we returned to Naples, we visited the National Archaeology Museum in order to see the frescos and mosaics plus household items that have been recovered from Pompeii. The collection is wonderful (if somewhat undercurated). Naples or at least that part of it felt a bit uncomfortable -- we had planned to get dinner near the station and head back afterward, but after some difficulties with a taxi, we decided to grab an earlier train back to Rome.

Reply to: Pompeii - day orovernight visit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted