We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Marinella?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford, Arkansas...
reviews: 6
Santa Marinella?

My daughter and I will be arriving in Rome on July 28. Most of our days are planned but not on Aug. 1 (Thurs) or Aug.2 (Fri). We were thinking of taking an afternoon trip to Santa Marinella, to see the beach and the castle. Has anyone any comments on going here? Would like to know if it will be worth our time. If not here, what about Tivioli garden and palace?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 23
1. Re: Santa Marinella?

Well, they're very different places, and I don't know your interests. In August, weather permitting, seaside locations are very crowded. However, after about 5 PM, the beach starts to empty. I assume you mean the Villa D'Este in Tivoli. There's no palace there, but a villa, which wouldn't be very interesting at all without the water gardens. The gardens are the highlight. There are two other villas to visit in Tivoli, the ancient Roman Villa Adriana, a short distance from the town, and the Villa Gregoriana, from a somewhat later period than the Villa D'Este, and with a more naturalized garden featuring a waterfall, a grotto, and an ancient temple. I've never seen it, because it was closed for restructuring when I was there.

Hartford, Arkansas...
2. Re: Santa Marinella?

Thanks for your input. I did mean villa instead of palace. Still cannot decide between there or the beach or something altogether different in Rome. Maybe another bike tour?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
3. Re: Santa Marinella?

That sounds dreadfully hot in August. There are lots of places to go for a day near Rome. What are your interests?

Hartford, Arkansas...
4. Re: Santa Marinella?

We are already doing an unusual Rome bike tour on Monday evening. It starts at 7:30p.m. We do enjoy biking at home in Arkansas and we are pretty used to the hot weather. We are also doing a Vespa tour in Florence on Wednesday around Tuscany. Can't wait for that. We are game for just about anything so any more suggestions will be welcome.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
5. Re: Santa Marinella?

I can't get much of an idea of your interests. Are there things you're *not* particularly interested in?

One of the top question on the upper right is about easy day trips from Rome by train.

This topic has suggestions for spending a day either seeing some of the lesser-known gems of Rome or on a day trip.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k29131…

This topic mentions some of the art museums in Rome that most people don't know about:

tripadvisor.com/…47301431

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 16
6. Re: Santa Marinella?

I was at Santa Marinella in June, and it was mostly for the beach. The beach portion was small, especially if you go to the free bit, which is a bit rocky. However, the water (at least in June) was unbelievably clean, cold and refreshing. There were lots of sealife in the rocky intertidals too! We really enjoyed our beach time there. If you do opt for the free beach, make sure to bring an umbrella. Also, the town seemed quite small, my friend and I were struggling to find a place for lunch, but maybe we were not really looking in the right area.

Hope this helps!

Hartford, Arkansas...
7. Re: Santa Marinella?

Thanks. We really like the beach too. Did you see the castle?

8. Re: Santa Marinella?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 22, 2014