We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Reception Venue/Restaurant w/ view of the Colosseum

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida...
Wedding Reception Venue/Restaurant w/ view of the Colosseum

Travelers,

My fiance and I have made the decision that we are going to have our wedding in Rome in the summer of 2014 and I am looking for some advice on a good place to host our reception. The plan right now is to have the ceremony in front of the Colosseum at around 7:30 PM with a reception to follow at around 8:00 PM at a restaurant within walking distance. We are looking for a place that fits the following criteria. The restaurant must have a scenic view of the Colosseum; it must have accommodations available for up to 20 guests; It must have a staff that can speak English as there will be some guests who cannot speak Italian; I want people to eat and drink to their hearts content so I am not looking for a place that is extremely fancy and serves what I call tasting portions; total budget is $4,000 - $5,000 or around 3,200 to 4,000 Euros.

So far I have found the Royal Art Cafe which has not gotten very good reviews from what I have seen, and the Aroma Cafe which seems like it could be good, but very expensive. If you know of any other good spots, or if you have any strong feelings (good or bad) about either of these locations please let me know.

Thanks,

DZ

New York City, New...
reviews: 10
1. Re: Wedding Reception Venue/Restaurant w/ view of the Colosseum

Your "musts" may be hard to fill. But, your budget is $160-200 per person - not sure if you can get all your wishes - not sure it exists. This place overlooks the Forum, not the Colosseum - so, if you don't find what you want with a view of the Colosseum, you might check with them if you end up exhausting all other options and come up short:

http://www.hotelforum.com/index.html

Rennes, France
reviews: 1
2. Re: Wedding Reception Venue/Restaurant w/ view of the Colosseum

Hi DZ.

Actually your requests are a little bit too many. You must know that everything located near any monument in Rome (specially the Colosseum) will be super touristic so way more expensive (and bad) that what you wish for.

That Royal you mentioned gives me the impression of cheap touristic kind of place. But if you got good reviews, you cannot get any closer than that from the Colosseum!

I think you could had a wonderful party either at the MAXXI or at the Palazzo d'Esposizioni.

Maybe try to check also with the café at top of Campidoglio (caffè Capitolino). There is the most amazing view. Food is nothing special but if you go there I'm pretty sure you can ask for a special menu and a tasting.

Good luck!

Edited: 8:07 am, May 31, 2013
Orlando, Florida...
3. Re: Wedding Reception Venue/Restaurant w/ view of the Colosseum

Thank you MomCat. I had actually come across this location in my research and it does appear to be quite a beautiful location. Have you actually been to this restaurant? If so, what did you think of the food?

Orlando, Florida...
4. Re: Wedding Reception Venue/Restaurant w/ view of the Colosseum

Scooby Doo,

Thank you for your suggestions, but unfortunately I am looking for somewhere more like a sit down restaurant. The museums you recommended looked like they would be great if I was going to have a large social gathering, but my plan is to have only very few close friends and family for a nice meal that goes into the wee hours of the night.

Regards,

David

New York City, New...
5. Re: Wedding Reception Venue/Restaurant w/ view of the Colosseum

I did eat there but it has been quite a few years now so I can't say anything about how it is recently. I enjoyed my meal and the view was really beautiful.

New York City, New...
reviews: 33
6. Re: Wedding Reception Venue/Restaurant w/ view of the Colosseum

Hi David,

I stayed at the Forum Hotel recently and did a review of it. However, I did NOT eat at the hotel except for breakfast, as I prefer to try less formal (and less expensive) restaurants. The view IS beautiful, and even more so from the (small) "American" bar above the glassed-in restaurant. The drinks were very good, and of course at least half again as expensive as you would pay elsewhere in Rome.

I didn't really check the restaurant prices, but I did notice that their advertised lunch buffet was very expensive. Again, the location and views are beautiful.

Good luck!

New York City, New...
7. Re: Wedding Reception Venue/Restaurant w/ view of the Colosseum

They have a menu up for weddings - and, it seems anyway, to fit in your budget of 160-200 euros per person:

ristoranteroofgardenforum.it/wedding-menu.htm

I noticed they have taken down their webcam, which was pretty cool -

Just looking at some of their other menus, prices have gone up a lot since I ate there but that seems to be the case nearly everywhere and in just 5 or 6 years.

Hope you find something suitable and have a lovely celebration.

Bridgend, United...
8. Re: Wedding Reception Venue/Restaurant w/ view of the Colosseum

Hi David,

I have just read this page on the forum. My Fiancée and I are getting married in Rome like you in June of this year. Did you come up with a solution for your dining as we are looking to do the same thing? We are going there in two weeks time to sort out the paperwork and look for a restaurant. (Living in the Uk, it's a little easier for us to pop over there to do these preliminary enquiries.)

Regards,

Mike

9. Re: Wedding Reception Venue/Restaurant w/ view of the Colosseum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:07 pm, January 21, 2014
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 11
10. Re: Wedding Reception Venue/Restaurant w/ view of the Colosseum

I suggest you reread TA's policy on advertising /self promotion - your posts have been reported for removal.