We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I get a supply of euro coins?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Neptune Beach, FL
reviews: 87
Where can I get a supply of euro coins?

Hi,

Where can I get a supply of euro coins for lockers in museums, etc.?

Is there a machine that will dispense coins at the airport, next to the ATMs?

Thanks,

Spirit

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
11. Re: Where can I get a supply of euro coins?

<the merchants are alway wanting exact change>

But they're perfectly happy to take your money if you haven't got the exact change (or politely pretend you haven't). Unless you are trying to pay with a very high value bill.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
12. Re: Where can I get a supply of euro coins?

The coins for the supermarket trolleys at least get returned to you when you bring the trolley back to its proper spot. I think it's a great idea. When I first moved to Italy, I wondered why no one had thought of this in the US. Some supermarkets there have carts all over the place, careening down the parking lot in the wind, or blocking your exit from your parking space. I keep a coin in a special pocket in my purse so that I don't accidentally spend it. My usual supermarket will take any coin from 50 cents up.

For those who haven't been to an Italian supermarket, the trolleys (or shopping carts, if you will) are chained together in the storage area. You insert the coin into a slot on the handle of a cart, and the chain holding it to the cart in front gets released. When you return the cart, you reattach the chain of the cart in front, and your coin slips back out.

Neptune Beach, FL
reviews: 87
13. Re: Where can I get a supply of euro coins?

lupaling! Thank you so much for telling me about the coin machines outside the bathrooms in the Termini! That was exactly the information I asked for.

And the responses from everybody telling me I didn't need coins were at least amusing.

Spirit

14. Re: Where can I get a supply of euro coins?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 16, 2014