We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tickitaly. Good or Bad??

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tickitaly. Good or Bad??

Hi

I am going to Rome in a couple of days and am looking to book tickets online for the colloseum underground tours and vatican tours through Tickitaly. I have read a few bad reviews from a few years ago and was wondering if anyone has used them recently??

Would really appreciate your advice!!

44 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
1. Re: Tickitaly. Good or Bad??

Use below for Colosseum:

www.coopculture.it/en/ticket.cfm…

and, for Vatican, use their official website:

http://www.vatican.va

2. Re: Tickitaly. Good or Bad??

Thank you!!

Just booked the vatican tour and am calling up about the colloseum tomorrow. Great help!

London, United...
reviews: 30
3. Re: Tickitaly. Good or Bad??

Thanks for this. Happened to stumble on to it and had the very same question. Much appreciated.

USA
reviews: 1
4. Re: Tickitaly. Good or Bad??

I also saw bad reviews and most have been erased already. I had a bad experience with them and my review has been erased. Well...all I can say is going to the Vatican is free, so why pay $40 Euros to go in. The lines move pretty fast there, so really there is no need to pay $40 to move faster. Why buy a tour in advance, if when you get there, there are a lot of people selling tours (if you decide to buy a tour)....so just buy the tour when you get there, instead of risking not making it to the tour on time etc. If something goes wrong, an online company that has no physical address is a bummer specially if your travel time is limited since it will be difficult to get your money back etc, plus they don't give guarantees.

I also went to the Colosseum and I think you are better off just buying the earphones and they have good narrations. Take your time taking pictures.

So my advice is don't take the tours to places that are free to go in and that offer earphones. Basically, don't take tours to go to museums or churches. Take tours if you need to travel from one city to the next in a bus.

Edited: 2:57 am, March 25, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 8
5. Re: Tickitaly. Good or Bad??

Entry into the Vatican Museums is not free and the tours offered by the Vatican Museums are reputable.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
reviews: 12
6. Re: Tickitaly. Good or Bad??

Enjoy E is wrong. The "Vatican" is not free. There are areas of the Vatican that are free such as the basilica and the square but you must pay to get into the Vatican museums, the vatican gardens, the scavi tour and to climb the dome. Also, the line to get into the museums can be hours long during high season so booking a tour or tickets which allow you to bypass the lines can be a life saver.

There are tour touts selling tours at the site but these are pick up tours and you never know how many people will be in the group. Also, a lot of these groups don't have skip the line privileges, they have people placed in the line as place holders so you basically end up cutting in front of people who have waited in line. That, for me, is not ethical or fair.

As for the colosseum, the underground tour cannot be done without a guide. You cannot rent the audio guide and visit the underground. You can rent an audio guide and visit the main areas of the colosseum but if you want a tour of the underground and upper tier you must book a tour.

This is why doing the research before you go is so important. You'd miss out on a lot of really great things if you showed up and didn't know these short cuts in advance.

Donna

London, United...
7. Re: Tickitaly. Good or Bad??

Would anyone have a similar recommendation for tours in Florence and Pisa? The tours offered by the Vatican Museum look to the best of the lot, thanks for that.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 25
8. Re: Tickitaly. Good or Bad??

We used tickitaly last year for our trip. It worked out well for us.

For Vatican tours we had booked with Bruno tours. Bruno gave us a private tour (it was just me & my wife)and completed the tour in 3 hours. We payed 150 euro and admission ticket. It was worth the money we spent.

@darthteddy: you can purchase tickets on site if you wish to climb the duomo in Florence. May sure you go there early morning. No need to buy advance tickets but for David plan ahead and purchase your tickets. For Pisa no need to make any advance booking.

London, United...
9. Re: Tickitaly. Good or Bad??

Thanks SXB_12.

Stirling, United...
10. Re: Tickitaly. Good or Bad??

I just booked three tours with tickitaly, not knowing about the bad reviews. Of course, now I am freaking out that when I get to rome, there will not be a tour for my husband and I. What should I do?

Reply to: Tickitaly. Good or Bad??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted