We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Specific Scavi Tour - Vatican

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan, USA
reviews: 83
Specific Scavi Tour - Vatican

We have been cleared to attend the Scavi - Necropolis tour. The instructions given are:

"Enter through the Holy Office Gate (on th eleft side of the colonnade, at the end of Via Paolo VI), and PASS through the Security Check Point"

Can someone tell me on the map (link attached) I have what the number is we go to for this specific location... I am guessing somewhere like 3 or 62 or 63... but want to make sure I know exactly where we are to go.

saintpetersbasilica.org/vaticancity-map.htm

Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 1
1. Re: Specific Scavi Tour - Vatican

My understanding is that you would present your authorization to the Swiss Gaurd at #2, and that he would then direct you to #59 (it's labeled Scavi Office on the map you linked).

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
reviews: 12
2. Re: Specific Scavi Tour - Vatican

They have changed the procedure a couple of times over the last year. When I went last year you did check in at #2 to show the guards your confirmation and then they let you into the scavi office. However, after my visit they changed it a little so that you would walk through the colonnade to get to the scavi office. Just ask any of the guards you see and you'll be fine. They can direct you where to go. Arrive at least 15 minutes before the tour, more since you're not sure where to go, and you'll be fine. Remember that you can't take any medium or large bags with you on the tour.

donna

Michigan, USA
3. Re: Specific Scavi Tour - Vatican

That was actually my next question.... I know no cameras are allowed, but if we have them in our pockets do we have to check these somewhere. We are traveling light and will only have a small tour book, which will fit in my back pocket or coat pocket, and then two small cameras (one for my husband and one for me), again small enough to fit in my front pocket or coat pocket.... as long as we have these small items in a pocket we are OK correct? I just don't like the idea of leaving my camera somewhere.

Michigan, USA
4. Re: Specific Scavi Tour - Vatican

They attached a little map, which is very tiny and hard to read... and I can't expand it... but I can see it shows arrows going around the outside of the colonnade and it appers heading toward #3 on my map...using this map and links.. it looks like #3 is a gate with guards as well (I clicked on it on the interactive map and it showed a picture of guards at a gate)...I am sure either way #2 or #3 if there are guards they will direct us.

5. Re: Specific Scavi Tour - Vatican

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:23 am, July 18, 2013
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
reviews: 12
6. Re: Specific Scavi Tour - Vatican

If your camera is small enough to fit in your pocket you'll be fine taking it in. Also, I wouldn't worry about checking your camera at any of the sites. They do this all the time and I've never heard of anyone who had any types of problems not getting their things back. At the Borghese you're required to check everything so don't let it bother you.

Donna

Missouri
reviews: 24
7. Re: Specific Scavi Tour - Vatican

Go to #3 and head to #59. As Friendly says, you will see a trailer. Go through it (get searched, basically), then you stand in line at the gate. Go through after showing your confirmation and walk walk walk alongside the Basilica. You then go to this office under the arch, where you get your ticket. Wait outside there until your guide comes. Small purses and bags are fine. Our party had camera bags and regular purses (no backpacks). The passageways under there are kind of tight--I don't think they want anything in there that would scratch or scrape against the walls.

Michigan, USA
8. Re: Specific Scavi Tour - Vatican

Super...thanks for the info... we were going to take a small "cross shoulder travel bag" with us just to carry guide book, map and a bottle of water, etc... the size of a very small purse like 7x10 inches... wasn't sure if this would be a problem but sounds as though it should be fine.

Edited: 2:02 pm, February 04, 2013
Missouri
reviews: 24
9. Re: Specific Scavi Tour - Vatican

You're welcome! Unless they've changed guidelines, that bag will be fine. My purse was one of those "PacSafes". It is a fascinating tour; hope you enjoy it! Be prepared though, it is very warm down there (you'd think the opposite, but they keep it warm and humid to preserve it).

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 15
10. Re: Specific Scavi Tour - Vatican

Wemjam along with the Colosseum underground tour, this was one of the highlights of my last trip to Rome. It is amazing to see and something I never even realised was there before. Have a great trip