We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
reviews: 15
Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

There has been a lot of confusion about how to book the underground tour. Hopefully, this will clear up some of the confusion and answer most of the questions that are repeatedly asked. Please read the entire post as it addresses a lot of different situations.

Booking the underground tour:

This is very simple to do. You can book online or by phone. The official website is

www.coopculture.it/en/ticket.cfm…

click on the "book single" option, agree to the terms, then pick your date. At this point all the tour and ticket options will pop up. If you wish to take the underground tour in English simple click on the "underground tour" option. this is the English tour.

***What if I am using the romapass for entry***

The romapass is good for entry only into the three sites that make up the combo. The colosseum, forum and palatine hill. The pass does **not** include any tours. If you're using the romapass for entry you'll need to call to book the underground tour. There is no way to book the tour online using the romapass. The call is very quick and easy to make. Let them know how many are in the group, the language you need and that you already have entry tickets. This should cost you 9 euros each plus the booking fee. When they ask for an address they mean your email address.

The phone number is 011 39 0369 67700

If you are using the romapass as an EU citizen and traveling with kids who get free or reduced admission they can skip the line with you and pick up their tickets when you pick up your tour tickets.

**Does the romapass or tickets bought online allow me to bypass the lines****

Yes, both tickets will allow you to bypass the lines. Just follow the signs at the site.

***What if I want to visit the forum or palatine hill first***

If you choose to visit either the forum or palatine hill before your underground tour you'll need to book your tickets a little differently. You need to choose the "print at home" option for the tickets and then call to book the tour. This will give you the tickets in-hand. There have been reports that the officials are not allowing people to pick up the ticket portion of their tour early so to avoid this you just use the print at home option. Use the phone number above to book the tour. With tickets in hand you can visit the forum and palatine hill the day before your tour or earlier on the same day as your tour. Your tickets are good for two consecutive days.

***My tickets are good for two consecutive days, can I come and go as I please***

The simple answer is- NO. Both entry tickets and the romapass allow you 2 days to visit the three sites of the combo. It only allows you one visit to each site over the course of those two days, not unlimited entry. Example: if you use the romapass or entry ticket to take the underground tour in the morning, leave to visit the forum later that day and then try to go back inside the colosseum you will be denied entry. You will have already used your one entry into the colosseum. This is why you need to plan your visit to the three sites carefully.

***What does the underground tour include***

The underground tour includes a visit to the underground sections of the colosseum as well as the third tier of the colosseum. These areas can only be seen while on a tour, they are not open to the general public. The tour does **not** include a tour of the main areas of the colosseum or a tour of the forum or palatine hill. You will need to book those separately. If you take the underground tour there is no need to take the tour of the main levels. Much of the information is the same so it would just be redundant to take both tours.

**How long is the tour**

The tour lasts about 70-90 minutes depending on the guide. Most guides keep it at 90ish minutes.

**Is the tour suitable if I have problems with walking or using stairs***

At this time the tour is not available for those in wheelchairs. If you have problems with uneven or slippery surfaces or steep stairs I would suggest to take the regular tour of the colosseum.

**I can't see any tours or tickets for September or later. Will the tour still run then and when can I book those tickets***

Historically, the tickets for September and beyond have not been released until mid-August. It's probably due to the heavy flood damage they had a few years ago and them trying to make sure the site is safe for tours. The only suggestion I can give is to keep checking the site but don't be surprised if those tickets don't open up soon.

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion. If there are any situations I have left out just let me know and I will try to address it.

Donna

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
461. Re: Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

LTC, no, tickets don't include anything other than entry. If you wish to book a tour you must do that online. You cannot do that with the print at home option.

Sunday or Monday makes no difference. Just book when it fits into your schedule.

A drivers license should be okay if you are a EU citizen.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 24
462. Re: Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

LTC, the print-at-home tickets are for entry only. You can add a tour of the Colosseum by calling them at the number on the page; these tours sell out, so don't count on getting one at the entrance. They also have an audio guide you can rent at the entrance. The Roman Forum has tours you can sign up for at the entrance.

Irvine, California
reviews: 4
463. Re: Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

I have a question. I am going to use the service of RomeinLimo. The service will take us to the Colosseum and have suggested us to buy the tickets in advance (INGRESSO ). They said we could book the underground tour if we want. My question is: Is it that the general ticket doesn't allow us to enter the underground area? Is there ticket that allow us getting into the underground area without the tour? And do children need a ticket? My kids are 11 and 14.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
464. Re: Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

You can enter the underground areas only if you book the tour of these areas. Your kids will both get into the Colosseum free because they're both under age 18, but the tour is free only to children under age 12. Even children who enter free need to buy "free" entry tickets, which include a €1.50 reservation fee. You can buy either the entry tickets or the tours here:

www.coopculture.it/en/ticket.cfm…

Because you have children in your group, you won't be able to use the "print-at-home" option, which is just for full-priced adult tickets. Click on "Buy single" and you'll see all the options available to you.

If you have only a short time in Rome, or if there's a possibility that you won't get to the Colosseum at a specific time, I suggest you buy the entry tickets rather than a tour. You'll survive without going into the underground area. You can see most of it from the first level by looking over the rail.

reviews: 6
465. Re: Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

We very much would like to take the Underground Tour, but I am concerned that my moderately limited mobility issues (I have trouble walking uphill for long distances and doing stairs) will make this a problem. Am I correct?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
466. Re: Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

I've never done it, but I've read that there are unavoidable steep stairs. If you take the regular tour, there's an elevator for people with mobility issues between the first and second level. However, I would urge you to visit the Colosseum on your own with the aid of the excellent signs in Italian and English and a good guide book or audio guide. That way, you can go at your own pace and leave when you get tired.

Edited: 12:50 pm, July 18, 2013
Irvine, California
reviews: 4
467. Re: Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

Thank you for your help and input!

Montclair, New...
reviews: 11
468. Re: Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

A little guidance here..... I just booked the underground tour August 10th. Now I am confused about visiting the forum and palatine hill. i would like to do a tour of both of these places, could I sign up online somewhere for these tours? Are the tours covered in the ticket I purchased for the underground tour?

Sorry just a bit confused.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
469. Re: Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

A tour of the forum and palatine hill is not included with the underground tour. You must book those separately. Entry into the two sites is covered by the entry ticket into the colosseum. You can book tours of the forum and palatine hill directly at the site or you can call to make a reservation.

011 39 06 399 67 700

Donna

Brit in Paris
reviews: 33
470. Re: Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

I'm a bit confused, even after 47 pages! I understand EU citizens under 18 get in free, just paying the 1,50€ admin charge. But I'd like the open ticket that is valid for two days, and with the print option I only get the adult price? If I go via the collect on site option I get the reduced prices but the INGRESSO SINGOLI is for 0831 on a certain day, and makes no mention of it being a two day ticket.

Help!