We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
reviews: 12
Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

There has been a lot of confusion about how to book the underground tour. Hopefully, this will clear up some of the confusion and answer most of the questions that are repeatedly asked. Please read the entire post as it addresses a lot of different situations.

Booking the underground tour:

This is very simple to do. You can book online or by phone. The official website is

www.coopculture.it/en/ticket.cfm…

click on the "book single" option, agree to the terms, then pick your date. At this point all the tour and ticket options will pop up. If you wish to take the underground tour in English simple click on the "underground tour" option. this is the English tour.

***What if I am using the romapass for entry***

The romapass is good for entry only into the three sites that make up the combo. The colosseum, forum and palatine hill. The pass does **not** include any tours. If you're using the romapass for entry you'll need to call to book the underground tour. There is no way to book the tour online using the romapass. The call is very quick and easy to make. Let them know how many are in the group, the language you need and that you already have entry tickets. This should cost you 9 euros each plus the booking fee. When they ask for an address they mean your email address.

The phone number is 011 39 0369 67700

If you are using the romapass as an EU citizen and traveling with kids who get free or reduced admission they can skip the line with you and pick up their tickets when you pick up your tour tickets.

**Does the romapass or tickets bought online allow me to bypass the lines****

Yes, both tickets will allow you to bypass the lines. Just follow the signs at the site.

***What if I want to visit the forum or palatine hill first***

If you choose to visit either the forum or palatine hill before your underground tour you'll need to book your tickets a little differently. You need to choose the "print at home" option for the tickets and then call to book the tour. This will give you the tickets in-hand. There have been reports that the officials are not allowing people to pick up the ticket portion of their tour early so to avoid this you just use the print at home option. Use the phone number above to book the tour. With tickets in hand you can visit the forum and palatine hill the day before your tour or earlier on the same day as your tour. Your tickets are good for two consecutive days.

***My tickets are good for two consecutive days, can I come and go as I please***

The simple answer is- NO. Both entry tickets and the romapass allow you 2 days to visit the three sites of the combo. It only allows you one visit to each site over the course of those two days, not unlimited entry. Example: if you use the romapass or entry ticket to take the underground tour in the morning, leave to visit the forum later that day and then try to go back inside the colosseum you will be denied entry. You will have already used your one entry into the colosseum. This is why you need to plan your visit to the three sites carefully.

***What does the underground tour include***

The underground tour includes a visit to the underground sections of the colosseum as well as the third tier of the colosseum. These areas can only be seen while on a tour, they are not open to the general public. The tour does **not** include a tour of the main areas of the colosseum or a tour of the forum or palatine hill. You will need to book those separately. If you take the underground tour there is no need to take the tour of the main levels. Much of the information is the same so it would just be redundant to take both tours.

**How long is the tour**

The tour lasts about 70-90 minutes depending on the guide. Most guides keep it at 90ish minutes.

**Is the tour suitable if I have problems with walking or using stairs***

At this time the tour is not available for those in wheelchairs. If you have problems with uneven or slippery surfaces or steep stairs I would suggest to take the regular tour of the colosseum.

**I can't see any tours or tickets for September or later. Will the tour still run then and when can I book those tickets***

Historically, the tickets for September and beyond have not been released until mid-August. It's probably due to the heavy flood damage they had a few years ago and them trying to make sure the site is safe for tours. The only suggestion I can give is to keep checking the site but don't be surprised if those tickets don't open up soon.

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion. If there are any situations I have left out just let me know and I will try to address it.

Donna

937 replies to this topic
Missouri
reviews: 24
1. Re: Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

Most excellent information, Donna. Is there any way to "stick" this under the Top Questions About Rome section?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
2. Re: Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

I'm sure there's a way but I don't know how to do it. Perhaps someone else knows?

Donna

Saxapahaw, North...
3. Re: Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

Are there restrictions for children?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
4. Re: Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

What kind of restrictions?

Saxapahaw, North...
5. Re: Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

Just wondering if children are allowed. There are other tours children under a certain age are not allowed. Under St. Peter's for example.

Fort Worth, Texas
reviews: 33
6. Re: Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

BRAVO! Clap clap....thx, m

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
reviews: 83
7. Re: Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

Really appreciate this information, dbabe. It's very helpful. I have a question that I think is a variant of those that you've addressed (apologies if I've overlooked this information). If I am using the Roma Pass, I understand that I should call to book the underground tour. What if I want to visit the Forum and/or Palatine Hill before the Colosseum? Can I book the underground tour by phone, enter at the Forum or Palatine Hill with my Roma Pass and later pick up the underground tour tickets (are there tickets for this?)? Thanks so much!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
8. Re: Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

amy., there is no age restriction that I know of however, small children may have trouble with the steep, slippery steps and uneven pavement.

Route128, the romapass allows you to visit which ever site you want to in any order. There are no restrictions.

Donna

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
reviews: 83
9. Re: Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's

Perfect. Thanks very much, dbabe.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
10. Re: Colosseum undergound tour FAQ's