We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions for 2 and a half day in Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jezzine
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
suggestions for 2 and a half day in Rome

I will be visiting Rome in January. I should arrive on a Thursday noon and will stay till sunday early morning. Can someone advise me of the best place to stay and the best itinerary to see the most important things in Rome? a little shopping wouldn't hurt also...

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
886 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: suggestions for 2 and a half day in Rome

Take a look at Fodors Rome's 25 Best and then pick out some of the things you would like to see and then someone can let you know how best to accomplish the things that interest you.

amazon.com/Fodors-Romes-Full-color-Travel-Gu…

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
23,667 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: suggestions for 2 and a half day in Rome

A guide book is the best source of what to see. It will give you descriptions of the sites which is important in determining what is important to you. With only a limited time you really want to be sure the sites you're visiting are the ones that hold your interest.

Donna

Canberra
Level Contributor
87 posts
132 reviews
3. Re: suggestions for 2 and a half day in Rome

Hi Sunflower

We just got back from two and a half days in Rome. We did it all with day tours, cramming in as much as possible, but I'd follow Nubbyrose and Donna's advice. We got rushed around a lot of "must sees" in an exhausting death march, and quite a lot of it was of little to no interest.

On the morning of Day 1 we walked through the city centre, taking in the Piazza Navona, the French National Church, the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain. The Pantheon was the highlight for us, and in retrospect, I would have preferred to wander around at my leisure, exploring the streets and climbing the Spanish Steps.

That afternoon was another tour through Palatine Hill, the Roman Forum and the Colosseum. The Colosseum was the only thing I was interested in. If I had my time again, I would have done a more in depth tour of the Colosseum, going down into the underground sections. Regardless, you have to go inside, it's well worth it.

Day 2 was a trip down to Pompeii, which was well worth it. But Ostia Antica is a closer substitute that will give you more time in the capital. I don't regret Pompeii, although our day tour included a waste of time in Naples and an ordinary lunch that we could have done without.

The last morning was a tour of the Vatican, which you should arrange directly through their website.

But as the others have said, it depends on what you're interested in.

Good luck, and have a great time.

Jezzine
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: suggestions for 2 and a half day in Rome

Thank you so much for your detailed answer... i will try to focus on the places u mentioned without loosing the pleasure of wondering in rome :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, World Cup, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
22,909 posts
3,744 reviews
5. Re: suggestions for 2 and a half day in Rome

Hello sunflower 1484,

Here are two trip lists that we put together with our personal favorite classic attractions and church visits in Rome. This might give you an idea about what is available and help you think about what you want to do/see while in Rome. There is loads to choose from. Have a look if useful.

Rome Classic Attractions (Our Favorites)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i29082-Rome_Top…

Rome Church Attractions (Our Favorites)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i29580-Rome_Top…

These lists have been helpful to others on this forum in the past but should be used as a reference only to help you come up with your own itinerary. Once you come up with your own itinerary, come back to this forum and post it so the regular contributors and Destination Experts (DEs) can help make sure you've a great trip to Rome.

Have a great trip to Rome.

Singapore
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: suggestions for 2 and a half day in Rome

In mid Oct this year, I visited in Rome and stayed at La Locanda Viminale --- fantastic B & B. Another highly recommended place is Welrome Hotel.

Buy the Roma Pass (valid for 3 days) from the Tourist Information Counter at the airport or Roma Termini --- free visit to the first 2 sights (note; Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine Hill are considered as ONE combined sight; that is, you can use the Pass to visit another sight, such as Capitoline Museum or Borghese Gallery free of charge) and discounted prices for subsequent sites, plus free rides on the buses and train. It comes with a free city map. Also ask for a free bus/train map from the Info Counter.

For what to do (including different walks), where to eat and shop, see great tips from Frommer's Rome Day by Day, or Rick Steves' Rome.

Some tips: (a) Visit the Vatican Museum on Friday afternoon (after 12pm, which is less crowded), which can be followed by a visit to St Peter's Basilica (see tips in Rick Steves' Rome about pre-booking and taking the short-cut from the museum to St Peter's church to avoid the long queues); (b) do a 2-to-3-hour walk from Campo de Fiori to the Trastevere (see tips from above guide book); (c) if you want to visit catacombs, consider Catacombs of San Calisto in Appia Antica (see Rick Steves about how to get there); visit it on a weekday or Saturday is better because of the bus transportation, but do note the opening hours

Enjoy your trip!

Jezzine
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: suggestions for 2 and a half day in Rome

U've been a great help... thank you so much for your effort in helping me :)

Edited: 1:47 am, November 24, 2012
8. Re: suggestions for 2 and a half day in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, November 27, 2012
Jezzine
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: suggestions for 2 and a half day in Rome

Thank you cristinaonthebeach :)

10. Re: suggestions for 2 and a half day in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, December 16, 2013