We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome in January

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
reviews: 6
Rome in January

What are the pros and cons of going to Rome in January? I'm thinking weather and crowds at the main places of interest. Been twice in September with lovely weather and wondered if it will 'feel' different in the winter.

Edited: 12:46 pm, November 22, 2012
New York City, New...
reviews: 26
1. Re: Rome in January

Have been to Rome twice in January and February and really like it. (And going again this year). Was last there for all of February and most of March 2012, and with the exception of that freak snowstorm at the beginning of February, by the 2nd week of February it was in the 50s & 60s -- and sunshine for days on end. It's never that cold (coat weather and sometimes a scarf) great for long long walks. You can still sit outside at cafes/restaurants -- most have heaters -- and the crowds are much less than at other times of the year. Still there are lines, tho moderate, at the key sites, but nothing too bad. Have never been there during other times of the year so can't compare....but in my opinion you get to see the "real" Rome without so many others of "us" traipsing around.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
2. Re: Rome in January

I really enjoy visiting Rome (and also Florence) in the winter. The weather can be a bit inclement at times, but the lack of crowds more than makes up for it, and most of what I want to see is indoors, anyway.

New York City, New...
reviews: 26
3. Re: Rome in January

Yes, that's true -- except for the Forum & the Colosseum that is....but the weather should be fine.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, World Cup, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 3,298
4. Re: Rome in January

Similar to bvlenci's comments, we much prefer visiting during the winter months these days as well. Sure, its cooler (a bit cold at night and in the early morning) but the trade off of cheaper hotel rooms and much smaller crowds can definitely make it worth it.

St Paul, MN
reviews: 6
5. Re: Rome in January

I have been to Rome twice in Feb and cone in December. For kme the weather id balmy and spring-like. The most it rainedwasin Feb 2005where is rainedpart of the time on about half of the ten days we were there.

Feb2005

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Dec2006

Feb2008

6. Re: Rome in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, December 16, 2013