We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to Hadrian's/Tivoli?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kalispell, Montana...
reviews: 1
day trip to Hadrian's/Tivoli?

How much off the 2 of these places can you see on a day trip from Rome (we will take the earliest transportation there and stay as late as we can and still make it back to our room before the pub. transport closes. I read about a couple of other Villa's in Tivoli that can be seen (de estte, or something like that), will we have time to see a couple of these or should we concentrate on Hadraian's and then just see th main district in Tivoli and head back to the hotel?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
1. Re: day trip to Hadrian's/Tivoli?

It's fairly easy to see Hadrian's villa and Villa d'Este in one day. You can take a train or bus to Tivoli. If you mainly want to see Hadrian's Villa, I suggest you take one of the buses that go directly there. Then you can take a city bus to the center of town. The Villa d'Este is right in the center. Then you can take a train or bus back to Rome.

The Villa Gregoriana is the best-known other villa in Tivoli. I've never seen it, as it was closed for renovations for a long time. I don't know if it would be easy to see all three in one day.

Kalispell, Montana...
2. Re: day trip to Hadrian's/Tivoli?

thanks man I was hoping that seeing Hadrian s would leave time for Tivoli at least one more Villa (wasn't sure I wanted to use a hole day in Rome that could be used seeing lots of things for just one place but if we can get around Tivoli a little that seem's worth it.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
3. Re: day trip to Hadrian's/Tivoli?

You can see train schedules from Rome to Tivoli here:

http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

Most of them leave from Rome's Tiburtina station. You can get there on Metro B. Some (those noted ROMA TE) of them start from Termini station, and these would probably be the most convenient. If you want to see just these trains, type "Roma Termini" instead of "Rome" as your starting point. For the way back, use "Roma Termini" as the destination.

The train station in Tivoli is about a 15-minute walk from the Villa d'Este. There is apparently a pedestrian bridge that's a shortcut, but I don't know anything about that.

Here are the bus schedules for buses leaving Ponte Mamolo for Tivoli:

www.cotralspa.it/PDF_Orari_Comune/Tivoli.pdf

On page 30, you'll see the schedules for buses leaving from Rome Ponte Mamolo (on the metro B line) for Tivoli. The buses marked 2, 4, and 6 stop at Villa Adriana before arriving at Piazza Garibaldi, the stop nearest the Villa d'Este. The ones on an acqua ground run Monday-Saturday; if they have an "NS" note, they don't run on Saturday, and if they have an "SA" note, they run only on Saturdays. Those on the peach ground run Sundays and holidays. The time is the time the bus leaves its point of orign. The notes show the stops made en route. Obviously, the ones that make fewer stops take less time.

On pages 9 and 17, there are schedules for buses leaving Tivoli for Rome (Ponte Mamolo, on the metro B line). The ones on page 9 all stop at Piazza Garibaldi, but don't originate there,so they'll leave Piazza Garibaldi sometime later. Those marked with a 2, 3, or 4 also stop at Villa Adriana (Hadrian's Villa), probably about 10-20 minutes later. The buses on page 17 make fewer stops, and originate at Piazza Garibaldi; none of them stop at Villa Adriana. On page 21, there are schedules for buses that originate at Villa Adriana, going to Rome.

These schedules are fairly confusing, and the ones I've mentioned are not the only buses you could take, but if you stick with the pages I've mentioned, and read the notes, you should find buses that fit your schedule.

There are some Cotral buses that stop at both Villa Adriana and Piazza Garibaldi. However, there are more frequent city buses. I don't think the Roma & Più Pass can be used for any travel within Tivoli, not even on a Cotral bus, but they definitely can't be used on the city buses. They are intended only for travel within Rome or between Rome and some other town.

Kalispell, Montana...
4. Re: day trip to Hadrian's/Tivoli?

thanks that is exactly the kinda thing I was looking for. Now my problem is trying to fit in enough time to see both Tivoli, and Pompeii during our 7.5 days in Rome (just not sure if 5 days to do things in Rome is going to be enough, now I know no ammount of time is ever "enough" but I hope you guys get what i mean). Pompeii seem's like something that I would regret missing (I understand the sales pitch for Ostia over Pompeii, but it is not just the preserved ancient city but the ash mummy's and history of Pompeii that I don't think can be replaced). Pretty every way I try to make an itinerary we seem to need 6 days to get it done leaving just the one day for day trips. any suggestions as to which to see? I know that is a tuff question. We will try to fit both in once we are there but will Probably only plan one schedule to begin with.

Kalispell, Montana...
5. Re: day trip to Hadrian's/Tivoli?

Or another question, can we get to just Hadrian (Adriana's) Villa and back to Rome in a half day? I think I can make room for a day and a half for trips, and I think I would rather do Pompeii and just the one Villa than do Ostia and a few Villa's.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
6. Re: day trip to Hadrian's/Tivoli?

I think it would be possible. Look at the schedules above, selecting buses that go directly to the Villa Adriana (with as few stops as possible) and allow two hours for the visit.

Rome, Italy
7. Re: day trip to Hadrian's/Tivoli?

Don't miss Villa d'Este - the garden fountains designed in the 1500s are one of the wonders of Europe. All powered by gravity. Spectacular.

If you can afford the extra expense splash out on a qualified tour guide and a driver for the day and you will save a ton of time on travel, and also get the most out of the visits as there is relatively little info on display at either Hadrian's Villa or Villa D'Este.

Also Ostia is a great visit - 30 minutes from Rome by train and usually really empty. I think Pompei is a lot of hassle for a day trip when there are other sites so close to Rome.

Have a great trip.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
8. Re: day trip to Hadrian's/Tivoli?

The Villa d'Este is indeed fascinating, but it depends on the visitor's interests. I myself, if I had to choose one or the other, would definitely choose the Villa Adriana. At least the Villa d'Este can be seen rather quickly, as it's a small site. But that may also depend on the visitor.

Kalispell, Montana...
9. Re: day trip to Hadrian's/Tivoli?

ok thanks guys (sorry Stuart we can't afford any tours, we cant really even afford any of this trip but are making it happen anyway), I will check and see how early i can get to Hadrian's. (man those bus schedules are crazy, do the buses really leave every 5 minutes like it looks? I found on the train i can get to Tivoli by either 6:30am or 8am. Seem's like the 8 am would be better because most attractions i have been reading about don't open in January until around 9 am but that would give us some time to walk around a little before de, Este opens, so as long as the buses from Tivoli to Hadrian's don't take too long each way I think we might be able to see both and still get back to Rome by mid afternoon (which would give us enough time to at least see a church or 2 and do some night walking, so It wouldn't feel like a hole day away from Rome. Do you know if there is anything worth seeing in Tivoli that is open 7am or earlier? If so we will take the first train there.m

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
10. Re: day trip to Hadrian's/Tivoli?

We stayed at an inn just outside Hadrian's Villa, so we didn't walk around the town early in the morning. There wasn't much to see down in the neighborhood of Hadrian's Villa.