We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coliseum tickets

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boynton Beach...
reviews: 5
Coliseum tickets

It's pretty clear that buying Roman Coliseum tickets in advance is the smart move to avoid long ticket lines. My question is: Should I buy them in advance online? If so, what's the best site from which to do so. If not, where and from whom should we buy them once in Rome. A friend of mine just returned from Rome last week, said he just signed on with a tour operator outside the coliseum, avoided the lines, had a great time with no problems. Any thoughts or comments on this strategy?

Along the same lines, I have the same quesetion in regards to Vatican tour tickets. In advance online? If so where and from whom. If not, where can we get them in Rome to avoid lines?

Thanks.

Michigan
reviews: 19
1. Re: Coliseum tickets

When we were in Rome, we bought tickets at each site. That strategy kept us more flexible to change plans due to weather.

For example, in the Vatican museum it really does not matter if it is raining.

We did find tour operators to use as we got there to avoid the lines. You can do this at both the coliseum and Vatican museum. Villa borghese required us to have tickets in advance, so check first on other attractions.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
reviews: 14
2. Re: Coliseum tickets

There are tour operators that hang out at both sites but you need to be careful and question them before using them. Some are good and some are not.

If you're not interested in taking a tour or you want to book an official tour then you should book at the official websites to both sites.

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

for vatican tickets or tours and

www.coopculture.it/en/ticket.cfm…

for colosseum combo tickets or tours.

Before joining the tour at the colosseum, if you decide to go that route, you should ask your friend if they were given the entry tickets or not. The entry ticket to the colosseum includes entry to the forum and palatine hill. I know some of those "pick up tours" don't give you the ticket even though you pay for it. They then use your unused portions to sell to other people taking a tour of the forum and palatine hill.

Donna

Mansfield...
reviews: 18
3. Re: Coliseum tickets

I saw you plan on buying the Roma pass, the Colosseum is one of the more expensive sites on the list. I recommend using it as one of your free sites. It also lets you skip the line. There is still a line but it took us minutes to get in.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
4. Re: Coliseum tickets

There is one ticket for admission to both the Colosseum and the Forum, and there are seldom long queues at the Forum. If there is a big queue for tickets at the Colosseum, just buy your tickets at one of the Forum entrances.

5. Re: Coliseum tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, December 16, 2013