We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions....

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 51
A few questions....

Hi all,

I'm off to Rome next week and as its a kind of last minute thing so I've a few questions. I've researched a good bit but just have a few things id like to confirm / get advice on.

We have accommodation sorted - its Residenza Cellini on via Modena. We're flying into Ciampiano and as far as I can tell the taxi from airport to hotel should be €30 - is this correct? Its hard to tell if this hotel/street is within the city walls but as far as I can tell it is.

We will be flying out on a Saturday morning at 11am. Is traffic in Rome lighter or heavier on Saturdays and how long should one allow to get to the Ciampiano airport - 1 hour? Do I need to book the taxi to the airport well in advance and do I need to advise the taxi driver in advance that I am aware the fare should be €30? Any good recommendations of a taxi service (not chauffeur service) I can book with. Do the taxi drivers feel aggrieved about this set fare thing - I see there's a lot of talk about it on-line.

Can anyone recommend anything really cool to see by night - I guess the Coliseum is one - anything else? Should I be looking at buying tickets in advance or get them when we're there - we will be there from Sunday - Saturday. Can you actually go into these places at night (Vatican, Coliseum etc.) or only look at them from outside

For seeing things like the Vatican or the Coliseum is there long queues at this time of the year or would you be able to pick tickets up at the time?

I see that there are various travel cards / admission cards. Can anyone give me some details on these? I would imagine we'll walk to many places as we're staying centrally but will jump on the Metro from time to time. I would imagine we will go to plenty museums, churches, Vatican, Coliseum etc. - is there a discount card and is it worth it?

As always any other advice anyone can think of for a Rome first timer would be greatly appreciated.

USA
reviews: 143
1. Re: A few questions....

Definitely pick up a Roma Pass, it is well worth the money. Check out the article on the right about it for more details. A place to to see at night is the Trevi Fountain as well as Piazza Navona. Get tickets in advance if you can, there are usually huge lines. You can't go in to those places at night.

Dublin, Ireland
2. Re: A few questions....

Hi thanks for the reply. Where should I get tickets in advance for? Coliseum and the Vatican is it?

USA
reviews: 143
3. Re: A few questions....

Well if you have the roma pass you don't need tickets, you can skip the line at the colosseum. The Vatican Museum you can get tickets here: http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html.

ireland
reviews: 1
4. Re: A few questions....

I thought it was €40 for a taxi to the city.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
5. Re: A few questions....

It used to be €40 from Fiumicino into the city; now it's €48. It's €30 from Ciampino.

I've heard that drivers at Ciampino tend to "forget" about the fixed fare and need to be reminded. Then they will try to add fees for late hours, extra passengers, bags. The rules are this: the fixed fare applies up to four passengers, at all hours. One piece of luggage is free, and others cost €1 each. (Bags you hold on your lap don't count.)

You can print out this page:

060608.it/en/trasporti/muoversi-in-citta/in-…

Then, since some taxi drivers suddenly become monolingual when fares are being discussed, you can print the same page in Italian:

060608.it/en/trasporti/muoversi-in-citta/in-…

Using the English page, it should be fairly easy to find the relevant passages on the Italian page, and highlight them.

Dublin, Ireland
6. Re: A few questions....

Hi guys Still have a few questions if anyone can shed any light

We will be flying out on a Saturday morning at 11am. Is traffic in Rome lighter or heavier on Saturdays and how long should one allow to get to the Ciampiano airport - 1 hour? Do I need to book the taxi to the airport well in advance and do I need to advise the taxi driver in advance that I am aware the fare should be €30? Any good recommendations of a taxi service (not chauffeur service) I can book with. Do the taxi drivers feel aggrieved about this set fare thing - I see there's a lot of talk about it on-line.

Should I be looking at buying tickets in advance for the Coliseum etc or get them when we're there - we will be there from Sunday - Saturday.

For seeing things like the Vatican or the Coliseum is there long queues at this time of the year or would you be able to pick tickets up at the time?

I see that there are various travel cards / admission cards. Can anyone give me some details on these? I would imagine we'll walk to many places as we're staying centrally but will jump on the Metro from time to time. I would imagine we will go to plenty museums, churches, Vatican, Coliseum etc. - is there a discount card and is it worth it? Is the Roma pass generally the one people use - I understand its valid for 72 hours? Is there any other card that gives more options?

For the open top tours there seems to be loads. Can anyone give a good recommendation regarding sights seen and the cost?

Many thanks

Missouri
reviews: 24
7. Re: A few questions....

Not sure what you are interested in seeing, but we discovered a different "pass" while over there, called the Archaeologia Card. It gets you into the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine, all four of the National Museum branches, plus the tomb of Cecilia Metella and V. dei Quintili and the Baths of Caracalla. It's good for 7 days and costs 23E.

We also did the Vatican Museum by night. It's open on Friday evenings from 7 to 11 (last entrance at 9, I believe). Very nice, way less crowds. The only drawback was the light level in the galleries. Kind of dark for flash-less photos. I would recommend getting your Vatican tickets on line, to skip the queue. I think there are long lines at any time of year.

Things to see at night--St Peter's (very pretty), Trevi fountain (the later, the better because of the throngs of people) and the Colosseum.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 114
8. Re: A few questions....

Definitely get your tickets for the colosseum in advance, we booked online and walked straight in to the ticket desk. The queue for people without tickets was horrendous, I think you could easily waste 1 or 2 hours just queuing. We booked through omniticket, very easy and quick.

St Peters by night is fabulous, walk up to the Pont sant angelo and castle st angelo to see it all lit at night and St. Peter's in the background. If you don't want to go into the Ara Pacis it is in a glass building and was beautifully lit at night.

We found Trevi just as busy at midnight as it was in the afternoon, so be prepared for crowds whenever you are there.

Buses are easy to work out as all the stops are listed on boards at the bus stops. You buy a ticket for 1.50 from the newspaper agents and when you get on the bus there are little yellow machines where you validate your ticket. The ticket is then valid for 100 mins so if you happen to get on the wrong bus you can always hop off and get another one within this time limit.

We used the bus 4 times in 3 days and it was mostly to get to wherever we had picked for dinner and then we walked back to the hotel after dinner, best way to see as much as possible and it's fab by night. Via Condotti is just beautiful at night as all the shop windows are lit up.

Dublin, Ireland
9. Re: A few questions....

Thanks all very helpful advice. Anything else don't be shy posting ;-)

Edited: 10:10 am, October 08, 2012
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
10. Re: A few questions....

The Archaeologia card really saves only a few euros over the cost of individual tickets to visit all the covered places. There is an Appia Antica Card that covers the Baths of Caracalla, the Tomb of Cecilia Metella and the Villa Quinitili for 7 euros; you can get it at any of the three sites, and it costs only one euro more than the entrance to the Baths of Caracalla. Then, the four sites of the National Museum of Rome cost only 7 euros for all four sites; the ticket to one of them will get you into the other three, over a period of a few days. And finally, the Colosseum/Roman Forum/Palatine Hill costs 11 euros normally, I believe, more when there's a special exhibit on.

The Archaeologia Card doesn't include any transportation. If you're sure you'll be going to at least one of the sites of the National Museums of Rome, and at least one of the sites covered by the Appia Antica card, and one of the Colosseum, etc., sites, then the Archaeologia Card would save a few euros, but I think I'd just buy the individual tickets, and maybe the Appia Antica card. Otherwise, you feel compelled to go to all the sites to get your money's worth.

Edited: 10:32 am, October 08, 2012