We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Civitavecchia harbor

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Rome to Civitavecchia harbor

We'll be going from Rome to Civitavecchia in mid May to catch the Carnival Liberty cruise ship. I checked into taking a car, but they charge over $150 to take us to the pier. I checked out the train from Termini station, and the tickets to Civitavecchia are between 4 and 6 Euros per person. But how will we get from the train station at Civitavecchia to the cruise ship dock? Any suggestions other than walking dragging our luggage behind us?

Thanks!

California
reviews: 2
1. Re: Rome to Civitavecchia harbor

We also will be going on the same ship in August. I am interested to know how we can get there cheaper than the cruise line. The only thing, is that with the cruise line they guarantee you will get there. Considering the ship leaves late, I would like to take my chances and save money. We are a party of 8. Let me know how you did. I am sorry no one answered you. I got some information the internet that the hotels can provide transportation and some have told me what that cost is, which is less than the ship also. Hope that helps.

Boston...
reviews: 16
2. Re: Rome to Civitavecchia harbor

You should check out this website:

www.cruisecritic.com

They will have a roll call for Liberty Carnival cruises by dates. Scroll down to the roll call section, look for your ship by date, then see who else might be looking to share rides to the port.

It is very reasonable if you can get 6-8 others to share a ride, then hire a limo to take you there. We did this in Oct. & pd. E160.00 for all 6 of us to go to the port. You can post a notice that you are looking to share a ride also. Then check out limo companies. You will find recommendations here on this board for limo companies also.

It could be a walk from the train station to the ship, depending upon where the ship is docked and if you have a lot of luggage, that could be cumbersome trying to walk w/ it. I think it would be about a 10-15 min. walk to the dock area.

California
3. Re: Rome to Civitavecchia harbor

Thanks May. We actually are in a group of 8 (2 families), so I don't need to find more people. The train might be a bad idea too. Don't want to miss that ship. $193 between 2 families isn't bad. What company did you use, or do you have their number or e-mail address? Thanks again.

Boston...
4. Re: Rome to Civitavecchia harbor

HI toshiporbust (I like your name!),

Then I would just go ahead and book a limo company to pick you up in Rome for the ride to the port. It is a pleasant ride of about an hour to hour and a half, depending upon the traffic. The limo company will drop you off directly at the ship so you won't have to carry your luggage all that far either. We paid E160.00 for 6 of us in October but it may be higher now. I think it was going to be E170.00 for 8 passengers (that is total passengers).

Here is the limo company we contacted:

www.limoinrome.com (Claudio Caponera)

email: claudio@limoinrome.com

Claudio was unable to pick us up so sent another associate of his and here is that info:

www.rentgarbo.com

email: giancarlogarbo@tiscali.it

We were very satisfied w/ Giancarlo's services. He was very pleasant and efficient. Picked us up at our hotel also. When you email specify that you want pickup at your hotel and the name, address, and phone # of hotel.

I would also ask if the company you are emailing is picking you up or sending someone else. Sometimes it doesn't work out if another company is picking you up.

I can also recommend Stefano Costantini as being very reliable. Here's his email:

allagrande@hotmail.it

I hope this helps. Let me know if you want any other info about tours, etc. I have lots of stuff!

Have a great cruise.

California
5. Re: Rome to Civitavecchia harbor

May: You are awsome. Thanks for the great info on transportation. I would love info on tours. One I got off Rick Steve's forums was www.througheternity.com, and Angel Tours. We are a party of 8, so we might actually just try walking and doing our own hotels. What do you suggest. I heard it is faster to get into a tour if we go to the Vatican to get at the front of the line. I am a Christian and want to visit historical Christian sites and statues. Do you have any suggestions there. My 16 year old daughter will be so at awe if I can find something good there. Also, as far as hotels, I have narrowed it down to: Hotel Giardino, Hotel Guliana, Hotel Modigliani, or Hotel Adler. Heard of any of these or have any better reasonably priced hotels near the center of town. Did you do your own tours on the Liberty, and if you did or did not what did you arrange there and like the best. Thanks again and take care.

Boston...
6. Re: Rome to Civitavecchia harbor

Hi again toshiporbust,

Rome is such an amazing city that no matter what you see there you will be in awe. I am still thinking about our visit & can't wait to return. We spent a day pre-cruise and a day post-cruise so really didn't get a chance to see everything we wanted. I decided that the must sees for 2 days would be the Colosseum and the Vatican. We booked a tour w/ Angel Tours for the Vatican, which included St. Peter's, Sistine Chapel and Vatican. Our tour started at noontime at the obelisk at St. Peter's Sq. (which is Angel Tours starting point for the Vatican). We ended up w/ a 4 hr. tour. I organized 2 tours w/ Angel Tours and we had 8 per tour so it worked out well. They like to work w/ small groups and I would heartily concur. We were in a large group at the Colosseum and it was not enjoyable (we had 40 in the group). We couldn't hear everything the tour guide said.

Here is Angel Tours website:

www.angeltoursrome.com

When you go to the website there will be an email address for you to contact them. If you tell them you have 8 in your group you will pretty much get a private tour. Sometimes they take 10. I liked their tour because it incorporated humor as well as the history and it definitely wasn't boring!

St. Peter's Basilica was part of our tour but you can do that on your own. Our tour guide rented headsets for us so we could only hear her voice throughout the tour.

Sistine Chapel will blow your mind away. Your daughter will love it! I did not find parts of the Vatican Museums interesting and kind of boring but it is still nice to see it. They have a nice gift shop where you can purchase souvenirs, etc. I got a soft cover book there for E15.00 with beautiful pictures of the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, etc. I also purchased rosary beads for my 2 grandchildren at reasonable prices.

The Colosseum you can also tour w/ Angel Tours so could book your 2 tours together. Just clarify the meeting place for both tours. We did a tour through the Colosseum as I mentioned above that had too many people in it.

The Vatican tour costs E25.00 pp and E12.00 for admission to the Vatican and that is very reasonable for a 4 hr. tour. You don't have to prepay the tour but pay at the end.

Hotel lodging is a personal choice. If you are booking multiple rooms for your family, then you should really make sure you book them soon. Go to www.venere.com and you can see the hotels and rooms on that website and also book directly there. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza St. Peter's for our post-cruise night but you would probably want to be located closer to the center of Rome. I am not familiar w/ the hotels you listed so you can check them out on Venere. It is easy to book through them and you get an instant confirmation of your booking.

You may want to consider an apt. if your whole family is staying together. How many rooms are you looking to book and what price range are you looking for? Others may have suggestions for you there.

Please feel free to ask any other questions. You and your daughter will truly enjoy your stay in Rome.