We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our (interesting?) experience at Roma Termini station

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Muscat, Oman
reviews: 28
Our (interesting?) experience at Roma Termini station

Dear TA readers, I just wanted share with you our first day experience at Roma Termini station. I posted here so that others can get some tips about the ever-busy Rome's central railway station.

Will be posting my trip report soon.

It has been nearly two weeks since we returned from an eight nights/eight days’ vacation from Italy – Rome, Florence and Pisa - and I am happy share my trip experience to TA readers.

Day1: Arrived Rome Fucimino airport at 6.50 am on an overnight flight. Surprised to see the long queues at the immigration counters but soon a few more counters opened and the queue dwindled fast. Picked up our luggage and spent an hour at the airport leisurely, refreshing and over a light breakfast and people watching as we need to reach Florence only around 2 pm to get to our accommodation. We came across the Terravision counter on the exit corridor and as planned bought our coach ticket to Roma Terminal train station. The counter girl convinced us to buy a cheaper, open-return ticket which we did (It was a mistake, which I have explained separately in this forum http://bit.ly/Mr0ET8)

Reached Roma Termini station an hour later and was again surprised to see the incredibly long queues at the counters. However, there were several ticket machines that accept cards and cash so I went to one of the machines to buy our tickets to Florence. (Beware of the several ‘volunteers’ approaching you offering help to buy tickets). Chose a train that was to leave in about 30 minutes and when I inserted two 100 Euro bills, the machine accepted them, printed out the tickets but didn’t cough up the change Euro 75. The machine’s screen read ‘error’. I quickly rushed to the customer service counter (again queue but shorter) and complained to see whether I will get any remedy. The lady at the counter was very efficient; she contacted her supervisor and since I remembered the machine number and told him, he went quickly over to open the machine to check whether I was telling the truth. Time was ticking and with just 5 minutes left for the train to leave, the lady gave me the change in cash after getting my signature for the receipt. We rushed lugging our three big (wheeled) suitcases and got into the coach just in time, panting.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
1. Re: Our (interesting?) experience at Roma Termini station

The machine may not be able to give that much change. However, in that case, it should have returned the notes and canceled the transaction.

I always recommend buying all the tickets to your final destination at the airport train station, which is less chaotic than Termini station.

I'm glad you got your money and caught your train!

Indiana
reviews: 67
2. Re: Our (interesting?) experience at Roma Termini station

Thanks for sharing that. Sometimes it's unpleasant or uncomfortable to discuss problems that occurr (i,e. theft, ticketing machines not working, etc.) but that is the only way to educate ourselves on how to handle a situation. I don't know if I would have thought of going to the customer service desk, as obvious as it seems. Probably, but you never know when in a panic. Very helpful.

Tammy

Muscat, Oman
3. Re: Our (interesting?) experience at Roma Termini station

Yes PTZHKWorld

thats why I thought i should share this at this forum. you never know what we might encounter in a foriegn country.

NY
reviews: 69
4. Re: Our (interesting?) experience at Roma Termini station

Really amazing you could get someone to open the machine and give you change back. I usually try to use a credit card machine.

Yes, in Termini station I usually had someone lurking in the back either offering to help, or worse yet just watching - I think they are hoping you will leave tickets, change, card or the ticket receipt (sometimes the receipt does not come out anyway) or maybe just watching where you keep your money. Always had my wife watch my back.

Muscat, Oman
5. Re: Our (interesting?) experience at Roma Termini station

I also make sure my wife or daughter watches my back when in a queue or take money from machines.

It was my daughter who suggested that I should contact the customer service. I was just lucky.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
reviews: 23
6. Re: Our (interesting?) experience at Roma Termini station

When I inspected the modern electronic ticket machines a few weeks ago, each time a message appeared on the screen advising the maximum change available (for those machine which accept both cash and cards, because other machines accept only cards).

There are also older machines just for regionale train tickets. These machines have a message that the maximum change given is either 9 Euros, or no change and a credit voucher which can be encashed at the manned ticket window.

In any event, I would avoid placing a 100 Euro note in ANY machine, since you never know when the machine might malfunction.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
7. Re: Our (interesting?) experience at Roma Termini station

I recently when in Rome put a note (20 euros, I think) in the ticket machine at the metro that was too large for the machine to make change. The machine spit the note out, so I tried another, to no avail. Then I tried a different machine, with the same results. A young Roman woman tried to help me, but she couldn't figure it out, either. (Some people who try to help you are just helpful people, by the way!) After she had gone away, I saw the notice stating the maximum amount of change that could be given, which unfortunately meant that I had to get in the long ticket line.

8. Re: Our (interesting?) experience at Roma Termini station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:42 pm, June 20, 2013