We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome itenerary for 3.5 days- advise/suggestions

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kolkata, India
reviews: 46
Rome itenerary for 3.5 days- advise/suggestions

My husband and I will be in Rome for 3.5 days. Although I have a rough idea of the places I want see I think it will be great to have some suggestions from experts because we dont know if what we are planning makes sense geographically, we dont have much time and we defly dont want to go back and forth all over the city. Please suggest a itenerary for us. Day 1 begins at 3pm and we have 3.5 days. My idea is to do the HoponHopOff bus tour that day so that we get a sense of the city. Some of the places to see on our list are the obvious ones like Colosseum. Pantheon, St Peters B, Borghese Gallery etc. please keep in mind its our first time in Italy when suggesting! Many thanks in advance!

Isola d'Ischia...
reviews: 2
1. Re: Rome itenerary for 3.5 days- advise/suggestions

You might try something like this...

…turismoroma.it/scoprire_roma/roma_in_quattr…

Peter

Milano, Italia
reviews: 81
2. Re: Rome itenerary for 3.5 days- advise/suggestions

you should definitely visit some typical neighborhood as Trastevere or Campo dè Fiori, it could be a good opportunity to try the roman couisine too.

Have a nice journey.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
reviews: 14
3. Re: Rome itenerary for 3.5 days- advise/suggestions

It's easier for us to help you map out the sites if you tell us what sites you wish to see. If you come up with a list we can help you put them in a workable order and add other sites in the area that make sense for what you have listed. Without knowing you or your interests it's pointless for us to make suggestions as they might not be what you wish to see or do. I think you should grab a good guide book and see which of the other sites really hold your interest. Three and a half days should give you time to see the main sites and several of the lesser visited sites.

Donna

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
4. Re: Rome itenerary for 3.5 days- advise/suggestions

A guidebook and a map will help you figure out where things are and what you want to see. As Donna said, only you know your interests and there is so much from which to choose beyond the main sites usually sees be new visitors.

You will need a map for when you are there anyway, so get it earlier and you can easily plot out the sites you want to see.

Kolkata, India
5. Re: Rome itenerary for 3.5 days- advise/suggestions

thanks everyone for your help. Well we basically were thinking of the main sites, like I mentioned, so what I have so far is- Vatican Museums and St. Peter’s Basilica, Colosseum, Pantheon, Borghese Gallery, Palatine hill. Please add to the list. Also, where all should I buy the tickets beforehand online for? Could anyone also recommend some guided tour companys- we could try their guided tours for at least one out of 3.5 days- we are thinking Viator and Dark Rome, any ideas/suggestions? thanks again!

Raleigh, North...
reviews: 45
6. Re: Rome itenerary for 3.5 days- advise/suggestions

i think sometimes people get a bit too aggressive in their itineraries and dont plan enough down time to truly enjoy the Roman experience and La Dolce Vita. You dont want to be running around every second of 3.5 days. You need time to hit the Trevi Fountain and enjoy. Sit on the Spanish Steps and enjoy a Gelato. Window (or actually) shop Via Condotti.

Listen to dbabe, her posts are some i always follow.

What I try to do sometimes is work backwards from where I would like to have dinner. We love a small little pasta place called L'Archetto, its a block or 2 away from the Trevi fountain. So, maybe save the Trevi fountain for one evening and tie it into dinner. We enjoyed eating in Trastevere, so make your way to the number 8 tram from Torre Argentina and stroll the neighborhood. I would alot a full day for Vatican City and maybe see if you can add something different like the Scavi Tour, which goes beneath the Vatican (we did this and enjoyed very much). Does Pompeii interest you? You could get down to Naples and do that. I think 3.5 days is enough time, but you can stack it or take it slow is what I am getting at I suppose.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
7. Re: Rome itenerary for 3.5 days- advise/suggestions

You can easily spend a whole day at the Vatican. You can book entry tickets or a tour directly through them at:

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

Depending on when you go to the museums you can see the basilica before or after the museums. I prefer to see the museums in the afternoon and the basilica in the morning but it's really up to you. After the vatican you can walk to the Castel Sant Angelo to relax, have a snack and get a great view of the city.

You can easily spend most of the day at the colosseum, forum and palatine hill. I would suggest seeing these as early as possible since they tend to get very hot in the afternoon. There is very little shade. You can book tickets or a tour of the colosseum or underground portion of the colosseum at their official site.

www.ticketclic.it/Gb/HTML/musei/colosseo.cfm

Click on the collect onsite option for the underground tour.

After the colosseum area you could add the circus maximus, Santa Maria in Cosmedin, the baths of caracalla, Santa Maria Maggiore or the St. Peter in Chains church. It really depends on what you want to see.

Another day you could see the Piazza Navona, pantheon, trevi fountain, spanish steps and Borghese gallery. You must make reservations if you want to see this wonderful gallery.

ticketeria.it/ticketeria/borghese-regolament…

As for tour companies, Viator is a reseller and doesn't do any tours. You'll save money by booking directly with the companies. Personally, I don't do guided tours but do like to use audio guides. There are some really good ones out there including the Rick Steves guides and the ones by pocketvox. They have some really good walking tours of the city that are very easy to follow and allow you to go at your own pace.

Donna

Kolkata, India
8. Re: Rome itenerary for 3.5 days- advise/suggestions

thank you both for taking the time out to pen down such detailed replies!

Dbabe- lets see if I am getting this right- Day 1- vatican city Day 2- Colosseum etc Day 3- Navona+Bprghese G etc- is that right? It sounds good. I will book online for these. Have you heard of the Dark Rome Tours and walks? are they any good? Also, wont audio guides be avaible on site for a price?

Kolkata, India
9. Re: Rome itenerary for 3.5 days- advise/suggestions

tickitaly.com/tickets/colosseum-tickets.php- can I use this site as well? any advise? doesnt the colosseum and borghese have their own sites?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
10. Re: Rome itenerary for 3.5 days- advise/suggestions

My itinerary isn't day specific it's just the way you can break up your days in order to fit the most in. I would not schedule visiting the Vatican on a Saturday or Monday if it can be avoided and the Borghese is closed on Mondays so plan accordingly.

Yes, both the colosseum and Borghese have their own websites.

www.ticketclic.it/Gb/HTML/musei/colosseo.cfm

ticketeria.it/ticketeria/borghese-regolament…

I have heard of Dark Rome but have never used them so cannot comment on them.

Both the Borghese gallery and the Vatican museums have audio guides. There are also audio guides you can download, both for free and for a small fee.

Donna

Edited: 2:39 pm, August 18, 2011