We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Rome - Cinque Terre

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne Australia
reviews: 23
Day trip from Rome - Cinque Terre

Would this be a feisable day trip or should we stay overnight in the Cinque Tere area?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Rome,Italy
1. Re: Day trip from Rome - Cinque Terre

Only if you had a helicopter...

There are many places to go on a daytrip from Rome that are more interesting and less crowded.Even if I have been there many times,I have to say that I think the area of the Cinque Terre is a bit overrated.It used to be nice and quaint...now it's overrun with tourists...not my idea of fun.

There are other places along both coasts,easily reachable from the major cities,that would be more rewarding.Just my opinion.

Melbourne Australia
2. Re: Day trip from Rome - Cinque Terre

Thankyou UnamericanoaRoma,

We are looking at staying in Rome for about 1 week from the 19th of April and were looking at possibly 1 or 2 day trips.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Athens, GA
3. Re: Day trip from Rome - Cinque Terre

I don't agree that CT is overrated. I absolutely loved it - I'm not a big city type girl. BUT, it is too far from Rome for a day trip.

USA
4. Re: Day trip from Rome - Cinque Terre

I'm considering something similar. I'm thinking of leaving Rome in the afternoon/evening, stay the night in cinque terre. Spend most of next day there and then head over to Florence in the evening. I'm not sure how to go about it. Considering tour bus or train (Not rental car). Is it worthwhile to take this detour and what is the best way to accomplish this. Thanks for any suggestions.

St Louis
5. Re: Day trip from Rome - Cinque Terre

We are doing the same thing. We are planning on going Rome to Cinque Terre may 2nd by train, if I can figure out how to buy that rail ticket. We are finding out that places want you to stay 2 nights. we have not found a place to stay for May 2 and in Cinque Terre,yet. We plan on going to Florence on may 4th.Anyone want to join up? Or maybe plan a wine trip from Cinque terre going to San Gimignano, do wine tastings and lunch, dinner then ending up in Florence on May 4th? you can email me at jgessel@msn.com

wales, uk
reviews: 4
6. Re: Day trip from Rome - Cinque Terre

How about a trip to Naples and Pompei. There is allegedly a new high-speed link just opened from Rome to Naples which should make it more realistic as a day trip (don't know how you get booked onto this though), then you would need to transfer to the Circumvesuviana line and get out at Pompei Scavi which stops right outside the gate for old Pompei. Be careful in Naples though - they know every trick in the book to extract your wallet from you.

You could probably do Florence in a day by train.

However, I've spent a total of 21 days in Rome and still need to keep going back because of all the stuff I still haven't had time to see.

Melbourne Australia
7. Re: Day trip from Rome - Cinque Terre

Thnaks everyone, good feedback keep the suggestions coming. I would also consider a couple of 1/2 day trips put together or day trips to the outskirts from Roma - like say Tivoli! is ther a good reason to go there.?

Grazie again - mario

Hagerstown, Maryland
reviews: 28
8. Re: Day trip from Rome - Cinque Terre

Tivoli? Absolutely. Hadrian's Villa and Villa d'Este are both worth seeing.