We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train station to airport , how far?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 10
train station to airport , how far?

We will be taking a train from Florence to Rome on the morning of our flight back home. Trying to figure out our timing, how far is the airport from the train station and how long will it take to get there. Is a taxi the best way and what would the cost be. Hoping we aren't cutting it to close. Thank you

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
1. Re: train station to airport , how far?

The best way to get from Termini (the main station) to Fiumicino airport is by train. The Leonardo Express runs twice an hour and takes just over 30 minutes.

You will be able to book a through journey from Florence to FCO. To see train times, go to www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html and ask about journeys from Florence to "Fiumicino aeroporto".

Chicago, Illinois
2. Re: train station to airport , how far?

Thank you for the quick response. I am uncertain on how to finish my trip. We have a car rental and I thought I would leave it in Florence and train to Rome, but the timing does not work for my morning flight. I also do not want to leave the suitcases in the car as we tour Florence. I was thinking I would take a train back to Rome in the evening, get a hotel in Rome, but we would not have a place to leave our suitcases. Any other suggestions. You have been so helpful with other posts. Thank you

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
reviews: 14
3. Re: train station to airport , how far?

You can leave your luggage at the train station while you explore. I think you should spend your last night in Rome instead of risking a train ride on the morning you fly out.

Donna

Chicago, Illinois
4. Re: train station to airport , how far?

Can you lock the suitcases and are they safe? Thank you

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
5. Re: train station to airport , how far?

I'm not sure exactly when you'd have to leave the suitcases in Rome. Are you thinking of arriving in Rome the evening before your flight? In that case, why can't you leave the suitcases at the hotel that evening?

Or are you thinking of going to Rome the evening of your last full day in Italy? In that case, I would suggest that you spend both nights in central Rome, and you won't need to check out until the morning of your flight. If your flight is at 8:30 or later, the first train (at 5:50) would get you there in plenty of time. Otherwise, you can take a taxi to the airport. Staying near the airport doesn't really save you much time in the morning, and the transportation options are fewer and often more expensive.

Am I missing something?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
6. Re: train station to airport , how far?

>>Can you lock the suitcases and are they safe?<<

There is no need to lock them, and they will be quite safe. The luggage storage at Termini is a staffed office: you hand your bags to the staff and get a ticket, and the ticket is needed to get the luggage back.

Chicago, Illinois
7. Re: train station to airport , how far?

I was thinking of visiting Florence after checking out of out B&B. We would have our suitcases with us for the day and then train back to Rome where we would spend the night. Being in Rome the morning of our flight sounds like the best plan. Still looking for a reasonable and nice hotel near the train station so we can take the train to the airport to catch our 11:30 flight in the morning. Any suggestions? Also how long does the train take to get to the airport? Thank you all so much. We leave in a week and these last details are not complete. Getting a little worried !

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
8. Re: train station to airport , how far?

>>how long does the train take to get to the airport?<<

See reply #1.

Chicago, Illinois
9. Re: train station to airport , how far?

Thank you! You have been a great help! I have planned my two week vacation almost all through Trip Advisor and the kind people who give advice. I have learned so much and feel very prepared for my first trip to Italy. Thank you again.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 50
10. Re: train station to airport , how far?

My rule of life is to always be in the town of a high stakes flight the night before. Nothing like logistics issues the morning of a flight -- flat tire, car accident, luggage stolen, train breaks down and is late from Florence to Rome (we had a Thalys come in 5 hours late into Paris from Amsterdam one time)

Does this stuff happen often -- no -- but when it does it is catastrophic if you forfeit your tickets and have to buy last minute walk up one ways -- you risk thousands by cutting it close like this.

I'd drop the car at the airport the night before and stay at the airport Hilton -- or if you get in earlier in the day -- you can use the train to go back into dinner in Trastevere or central Rome that last night -- and then not have to worry about making the flight