We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dressing to St. Peter's Basilica

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
reviews: 1
Dressing to St. Peter's Basilica

Is it ok to wear the open toes / heels sport shoes, like Teva, to go inside St. Peter's Basilica?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
reviews: 14
1. Re: Dressing to St. Peter's Basilica

Yes, you'll be fine. I, personally, would not even bring heels to Rome. If you wear them out in the city you stand the chance of seriously twisting your ankle. Open toe flats are a better, safer option.

Donna

St Paul, MN
reviews: 6
2. Re: Dressing to St. Peter's Basilica

The shoe police at the door just make sure that you are not barefoot. We saw plenty fo women in line at the X-ray station wearing stillettos.

When were walking in Rome, an Italian woman was wearing stilllettos in front of us. Her tiny heel got caught in a void in the cobblestones and she wiped out in front of us. I had wondered how often that might happen with all the stilletos I saw in Rome.

Rome, Italy
3. Re: Dressing to St. Peter's Basilica

yes shoe wear isnt a major point of the dress code for st peters. and also, they are right above: heels in Rome are for experts only...these cobblestones make walking in thin heels reaaaaallly hard...plus it eats up your shoes!

Taylorsville, Utah
4. Re: Dressing to St. Peter's Basilica

The dress code basically says men have to wear long pants. women must have their knees covered and both sexs have to have sleeves.I probably wouldn't wear anything that shows a lot of cleavage, back or belly and I would be careful that T shirt logos aren't offensive. There are no rules posted about the latter things, but I wouldn't want to take the chance. Other than that, they don't really care what you wear. I second the shoe recommendation. You will be doing a lot of walking and comfort should take precedence over style. As long as you are wearing some sort of shoes, sandals, flip flops, the Vatican doesn't care what they are. BTW , if you hear that the Vatican isn't enforcing the rules strictly, I would ignore it. It depends on the guard and just because someone else got in in a sleeveless blouse or shorts doesn't mean that you will. It is kind of hit and miss, but if you want to be sure to get in, wear something appropriate or carry a cover up with you.

Hong Kong
5. Re: Dressing to St. Peter's Basilica

Thank you all!

6. Re: Dressing to St. Peter's Basilica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:32 am, December 01, 2010