We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report collections are here

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 62
Trip report collections are here

For everyone's convenience and reading pleasure, please post links to all your trip reports (past, present, and future) here on this thread. If you also have pictures posted somewhere on the Net, include those links as well.

it's the next best thing when you can't be there !

enjoy :)

246 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 4
171. Re: Trip report collections are here

Here's a link to my trip report for June 2013:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k659595…

sydney Australia
reviews: 53
172. Re: Trip report collections are here

Trip Report of Trip to Rome April 23 to April 27. First city in almost two months of travel

We arrived finally in Rome mid morning of April 23 having been delayed one whole day by our airline. Our pick up was with Rome Cabs and they could not have been more helpful. I was messaging and emailing them as our plans constantly changed and they were there waiting for us. Our hotel was near Piazza del Popolo. the name of it totally escapes me, which is a shame as it was a lovely B&B rather than a hotel, and apart from having to carry three keys, and climb two flights of stairs, was a lovely place to stay.

We spent our first day just getting a feel for the city, and it was great to just walk out our door and be encompassed by the popular street for passagiatta. People were mainly walking down the street and we walked up, but apart from that it was so much fun. We found the Spanish Steps and sat down and took in the ambience and then the Trevi Fountain, and finally the Wedding cake building. unfortunately arriving too late to use the elevator to the top to have the good views of the Capitol and the Forum.

During our stay we did a number of tours all bar one with Dark Rome. They were also very good, allowing us to transfer our pompeii tour to our last day, even though we had not been able to give them sufficient notice ( plane delay).

All up we did the Vatican full day, which is exhausting and as we chose April 25 ( a public holiday in Italy as well as in Australia) it was very busy due to being one of the only museums etc open. But this was so good, as we explored the Vatican museum, the Sistine Chapel and got into St Peters without the long waiting line. After an hour break for lunch which we found a great little cafe and had gelato, we set out in a bus to see the three other Vatican churches. St Paul outside the Walls was a not to be missed, and there was also a great shop that sold one of my all time fave drinks Limoncello made by Benedictine monks so really good value and good quality, then St John in Lateran, and the nearby Sacred steps which people are constantly climbing on their knees, as they believe they are the steps that Jesus climbed up to Pontius Pilates palace. ( Helen Emperor Constantine's mother brought them back from Jerusulem with many other artifacts). The last church was near Termini, Maria Majori. The three churches all had their special items and differing atmospheres and alll were worth the visit. it was easy from termini to get home via the metro.

Another trip was a Papal Audience. This is wild! I am so glad we paid for Dark Rome to guide us. The tickets are free but the advice and the way she guided us through the long lines, and to a great place to see the pope was priceless. Of course when I booked I did not know it was going to be a new pope, and this Pope Francesco is a beautful man who does not stay behind the glass of the old papal car but interacts with the audience and went past our spot twice. The audience cry out and cheer and sing and dance and it is a spectacle, as well as a very good spiritual experience. My husband though said he thought he deserved a medal for surviving the people. I guess if you have no Catholic heritage you might find it not as interesting as I did, but for us it was a very special thing to do and only available in Rome. one of my highlights along with the people I met on the tour.

We also did a night time walk and bus tour, seeing all the sights by night and with lights. I learnt a lot about Keats who lived near the Spanish steps and why there are tea rooms and lots of english atmosphere there. We found out the best places to get gelato and what to look out for. 1. no piles of icecream as this means they just pile the new stuff on top of the old gelato. 2. We found the oldest gelato place and stopped for a gelato stop as part of our tour. I loved seeing Piazza Navona and the trevi fountain at night, and then we took a bus tour up to Trastevere hill, which had great views of Rome . I would not have got here without the bus.

The last tour we took was away from Rome to Pompeii . The day was very windy and so instead of going up Vesuvius we went to Naples museum which did provide a great introduction to pompeii as it has many of the artifacts that were taken away for preservation. There is a very naughty section which is funny if you have the right sense of humour and when we went to pompeii we were taken to the brothel to enhance that section of Pompeii. all in all I enjoyed all their tours and would reccommend them to other people.

the restaurants we used were mainly around the Piazza del popolo and off Corso , as it was easy to find places and we did not want to travel much for dinner. I used rick steves guide to find places and also the Dark Rome guides suggestion for dinner the last night. Most places were better if booked early but we showed up before the main eating times and always got a place. The food was spectacular, the Italians sure know how to cook.

I cant wait to go back again and see some of the things we did not have time to do first time, plus eat some more gelato and try a few new restaurants. I liked staying near the Piazza del popolo, and would suggest it is a good place, convenient to a metro stop, or two, and easy to get around as long as you are willing to give the metro a go.

sydney Australia
reviews: 53
173. Re: Trip report collections are here

Hi , the name of our B&B is Corso 22 on Via del Corso. It was great.

174. Re: Trip report collections are here

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:58 am, June 24, 2013
Edited: 3:58 am, June 24, 2013

New Delhi
reviews: 3
175. Re: Trip report collections are here

Trip Report: Four Days in Rome

We spent four days in Rome, three in Florence and two in Venice in the beginning of June 2013. Landing up in FCO, our flight was 2 1/2 hours late, but the driver from Airport Taxi Transfers was waiting with a placard as promised. We were staying at Hotel Grifo in Monti district, and, since we reached only in the evening, we just explored the surrounding area on the first day. The location of the hotel is superb; only 5 min. walk to the Colosseum, nice places to eat nearby (Osteria at 16 and Taverna di Montii are recommended) and an excellent gelateria practically next door.

Next morning after a substantial breakfast, we took the Metro to Vatican Museums, inaugurating the Roma passes which I had picked up the day before at FCO. We had previously reserved online for 9.30 a.m., and were able to get in quickly. We took the long tour and walked through all the museums, absorbing the magnificent sculpture, paintings, tapestries and other antiquities. The Raphael Rooms were wonderful, and we had fun spotting Raphael and Michelangelo in "School of Athens". Onward to the breathtaking Sistine Chapel, where we sat down for nearly 45 minutes, just drinking it all in. The Genesis and the Last Judgment are simply awesome, and the other paintings on the walls are also by Renaissance masters. After coming out, a quick lunch and then we went to St Peter's Basilica, where the Pieta of Michelangelo is not to be missed. After we had wandered around inside to our heart's content, we pushed off to the Borghese Gallery, where also I had prebooked for 5 p.m. They have a fascinating collection of Renaissance art and sculpture; don't miss Venus Victrix, Apollo and Daphne, and the Caravaggio Room. Then it was back to the hotel dog-tired but happy.

Next day was devoted to Ancient Rome; the Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine Hill. While the Colosseum is no doubt stupendous, it seems odd that a monument to barbarity should serve as a symbol of an empire that brought civilization, law and order and peace and a strong system of justice to much of the world known at that time. According to me, the beautiful Trevi fountain would serve better as a symbol of Rome. Anyway... don't miss the Palatine Museum with its lovely collection of statuary. On the way back, we hung around Trevi fountain for a while, and tossed our coins in, already wanting to return...

The next morning it was off to Ostia Antica, where we saw the mosaic of Neptune on the floor of the ancient baths, the quaint tavern and the vast amphitheatre. Don't miss the little museum tucked away in a corner of the complex; it has a fascinating collection of statuary and artefacts dating back to the turn of the millennium. We came back to Rome by afternoon, and paid a visit to the church of St. Peter in Chains to admire Michelangelo's magnificent Moses. Then it was off to the Capitoline Museum, where we saw the statue of Marcus Aurelius mounted on a horse, a bronze of Hercules, and sundry other treasures.

We had to catch a train to Florence the next morning; our visit there will form the subject of another trip report. As far as Rome is concerned: its easy to see why its called the Eternal City, as there is something timeless about it. Tradition and modernity exist comfortably side by side, and anyone with a sense of history will be overawed by the grandeur of Rome. If you love ancient cultures and civilizations, and masterpieces of art, sculpture and architecture, Rome offers a treasure-trove that will first amaze you, and then delight you,. and finally bewitch you! Add to that friendly people, courteous service, convenient and reasonable dining options; Rome has everything going for it, from a tourist's point of view. We can't wait to go back. Viva Roma!

176. Re: Trip report collections are here

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:01 am, July 14, 2013

177. Re: Trip report collections are here

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:21 am, July 15, 2013

Leeds, United...
reviews: 28
178. Re: Trip report collections are here

Hi! I'd completely forgotten to post my trip report here. We went back in May :)

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k650…

Burlington, Vermont
reviews: 10
179. Re: Trip report collections are here

Hi everyone,

Here is the third, and final, installment of my travel journal from a June 2013 trip to Italy. I'm including only the Rome portion here.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k67331…

WHO:

A solo female traveler, visiting Italy for the third time

WHEN:

June 5-21, 2013

WHERE:

I visited the following on my trip: Venice (4 nights), Bassano del Grappa (day trip), Florence (5 nights), Bologna (day trip), Siena (day trip), Lucca

(2 nights), Pisa (1 night), and Rome (4 nights)

WHAT:

A travel journal, a sample of which from Rome is copied below. The same text, neatly formatted with hyperlinks to relevant sites and lots of embedded

pictures is available at:

http://vtprofessor.wordpress.com

I’ve also uploaded hundreds of photos from my trip on Flickr. Here’s the link to the entire collection, organized by city:

flickr.com/photos/…

Enjoy!

VT_Professor

San Francisco CA
reviews: 37
180. Re: Trip report collections are here

My husband and I spent two weeks in Italy in July, starting with three days in Rome. Links to photos and the Rome trip report:

flickr.com/photos/…

…blogspot.com/2013/08/viva-litalia-rome.html

I used the Parla Food gelato guide www.parlafood.com/best-gelato-rome-guide/ but we didn't have enough time to try them all. Also Smitten Kitchen's notes smittenkitchen.com/notes-and-tips-from-rome/ and theromedigest.com, plus our B&B host's recommendations for food.

I reviewed the places we stayed at separately. They were all great, so grateful to TA as a resource for accommodations. Our trip also included Orvieto, Lucca, Cinque Terre, Florence, Bologna, and Milan, there are links to (long) trip reports on the Flickr page if you are interested.

Thanks to everyone on the TA forums, especially for helping me figure out how to reserve the underground Colosseum tour.

Edited: 5:37 pm, August 09, 2013
Reply to: Trip report collections are here
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted