We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome on Good Friday

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 2
Rome on Good Friday

I will be in Rome with my three teenage daughters from April6-11 which includes Good Friday. Does anyone know of any interesting places to see the processions or services on Good Friday?

Philadelphia
reviews: 16
1. Re: Rome on Good Friday

I was in Rome last Good Friday, & the Pope did a Mass in the Colisseum.

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 1
2. Re: Rome on Good Friday

I too will be in Rome Good Friday (4-3 thru 4-11) with my 18 yr old niece and my son.

Los Angeles
reviews: 11
3. Re: Rome on Good Friday

I too will be in Rome for Easter week. I'm excited as I have never been in Rome during Easter.

San Francisco CA
reviews: 22
4. Re: Rome on Good Friday

"On Good Friday around 9: 15 p.m., the Pope will lead a solemn torchlit procession, the Via Crucis, from the Colosseum up the Monte Palatino, reenacting the 14 Stations of the Cross, from Jesus' death sentence to the placement of his body in the tomb.

Pope Benedict XVI carries a large wooden cross part of the way, and at every station he offers a brief prayer. At the final station he also gives a speech, linking the re-enactment to current events.

Tens of thousands of the faithful gather with torches and lights to follow this solemn procession."

The above is from the Vatican Web site.

--Historian08

TX
5. Re: Rome on Good Friday

In addition to the Way of the Cross at the Colosseum in the evening on Good Friday, there is a mass at St Peter's at 5:00 pm.

6. Re: Rome on Good Friday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, October 20, 2009