We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome in 12 hours - Colosseum & Vatican?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Roseville...
reviews: 1
Rome in 12 hours - Colosseum & Vatican?

Hi. I am going to be going on a cruise and one of the ports is Rome. Is it possible to see both the Vatican and the Colosseum in a 12 hour time frame? The cruise does not offer an excursion to do both. They have only one or the other. Even if it means I don't get to spend much time at either I would still rather try and see both but im unsure how far apart they are from eachother and how far the cruise terminal is from them.. It will be on NCL.

Thanks for your input!

Maplewood, New...
1. Re: Rome in 12 hours - Colosseum & Vatican?

Yes, of course you can see them both in one day (fairly far apart though - I'd take the bus between them) Now...getting inside them both just depends on how bad the lines are...I can't imagine not getting into both though - I've been with bad lines and it still didn't take all day. (I assume you are talking about St. Peter's and not trying to do the entire Vatican museum?)

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 11
2. Re: Rome in 12 hours - Colosseum & Vatican?

I'm not sure where the cruise terminal is, but the Vatican and Colosseum are one or two bus rides away from each other; if you're taking the subway, you'll need to walk, take the subway to the termini, and then either walk some more or take another subway to the Colosseum.

Hmmm....if you want to see both Vatican (incl the Museum and St. Peter's) and the Colosseum in 12 hours.........factoring transportation....lunch....being human.....I'd say focus on the Vatican visit, and just check out the Colosseum from the outside. There aren't too many aweinspiring views INSIDE the Colosseum, and there are great picture opportunities outside of it, especially looking at it from the west/Forum entrance.

Louisville, Kentucky
reviews: 5
3. Re: Rome in 12 hours - Colosseum & Vatican?

I agree. They are far apart. Do the Vatican tour. Grab a gelato and walk around the Colosseum and Forum. If you are in town after dark, they are gorgeous all lit up.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
4. Re: Rome in 12 hours - Colosseum & Vatican?

I think all the cruises pull into Cittavechia(sp?) which is a WAYS out of Rome!

5. Re: Rome in 12 hours - Colosseum & Vatican?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:43 am, October 19, 2009