We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Peter's/Vatican dress code--they are serious!

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Menlo Park...
reviews: 18
St. Peter's/Vatican dress code--they are serious!

Here's an excerpt from an email I got from a friend earlier this week on Monday:

"The weather in Roma feels like --believe it or not -- cooler

than London. We stood in line at St. Peter's today (a late

start...don't do that!) only to be turned away for not wearing more respectful clothing. We were in longish shorts and

that did not cut it with the guards/security at the entrance. How could I have forgotten? Anyway, we will give it another go tomorrow, and earlier."

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 2
1. Re: St. Peter's/Vatican dress code--they are serious!

Men are to wear long pants, and at least short sleeves (t-shirts are ok). Women should not have their shoulders or knees showing.

Rome is quite warm, about like the Carolinas, so, you can wear shorts around as you tour, but any time you enter a church, respect states that your shoulders and knees be covered.

Many people were wearing those docker-type "convertible" pants - the ones where you can unzip the calves of the pants and have shorts.

2. Re: St. Peter's/Vatican dress code--they are serious!

Your friend is not kidding. The Vatican is a sacred religious site, not a tourist site. How many of us would turn up at a church at home wearing shorts and vest tops? Not many I would suggest!

The dress code isn't that severe. Knees and shoulders must be covered and I'm sure that there is something about not wearing tee-shirts with inappropriate logos or logos that are likely to offend.

You can take a silk scarf or something to cover your shoulders whilst in St Peters and then take it off again when you come out. If you are wearing shorts, take a light skirt with you in your bag and change before you get to St Peters and then change back again after you come back.

berlin
3. Re: St. Peter's/Vatican dress code--they are serious!

We had the same experience, they are serious about the dress code. Our guide discovered we had the wrong pants even though he told us on the phone how to dress. We forgot and came in shorts. But the guide had a paper pants which he said you can buy in shops around St Peters square for ���5, but he had a few pairs so we got in. I think the staff are very serious about the dress code. For us Rome was very very hot.

Vicky

USA
reviews: 2
4. Re: St. Peter's/Vatican dress code--they are serious!

Well, I just don't get it...made my daughters wear appropriate tops, skirts, etc., and the woman in front of us whose daughter was shoulderless (!) did get turned away, but as I was walking around I noticed some pretty inappropriate clothing on teenage gals, and even some woman in sleeveless tees...didn't seem fair to me, and pretty disrespectful...not sure how they got through!

San Diego...
5. Re: St. Peter's/Vatican dress code--they are serious!

I noticed that it depends also on who the "fashion police" is at the time you enter. For example, the first time I entered St Peter's I had a sleeveless knit top and a shirt wrapped around my waist because it was too hot to wear it outdside...it didn't dawn on me to put the shirt on to cover my shoulders, and I went right through. After about an hour or so I stepped outside to look for my friend, and when I tried to re-enter I was asked to cover my shoulders by another guard.

Go figure....

CYPRUS
reviews: 1
6. Re: St. Peter's/Vatican dress code--they are serious!

Is it ok for women to wear 3/4 length pants?

Watertown, CT
7. Re: St. Peter's/Vatican dress code--they are serious!

3/4 length pants are fine as long as they don't "ride" up over your knees when walking. From what I saw, some inappropriately dressed people snuck by when the guards were talking and not paying attention, but if they are paying attention you will not get through.

Calgary, Alberta
8. Re: St. Peter's/Vatican dress code--they are serious!

What about children - can they wear shorts or do they have to be in pants as well?

Thanks.

Bon

9. Re: St. Peter's/Vatican dress code--they are serious!

I suppose it depends on their ages. From memory, the dress code wasn't too strictly applied to younger children. However, when it comes to teenagers, it might be more difficult.

Boston...
reviews: 4
10. Re: St. Peter's/Vatican dress code--they are serious!

hey, we can wear open toed shoes, right?

(for some reason i was nervous about this!)