We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Termini Station a Safe Location??

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Williston Park, New...
reviews: 5
Is the Termini Station a Safe Location??

Hello...

I am planning to stay in Rome in June at the BelleSuite Rome on Via Modena near the train station. I've been to Rome before...but I couldn't remember the area. My sister read in Frommer's that some areas by the station is not safe. Is this true?? And is the BelleSuite Rome in that area? Thanks!

St. Marys, OH
reviews: 17
1. Re: Is the Termini Station a Safe Location??

Usually the areas around large train stations is not the best. The stations attract a certain group of "gypsies", pickpockets, petty thieves who prey on unsuspecting tourists. Many people stay in such hotels without difficulty. I have always chosen not to. I'm a small town guy, but being from NY, NY you probably aren't afraid of such things!

Devon, UK
2. Re: Is the Termini Station a Safe Location??

We were in Rome a couple of weeks ago and stayed at Hotel Giuliana just off Via Cavour and about 4 blocks (5 mins walk) south from Termini, near . We were told that the rougher parts are on the other side of the station. On "our" side of the station we saw a few people sleeping rough near the station but nothing worse than that. We never felt threatened at any time in Rome.

Keep a tight hold on your wallet and enjoy Rome. It's a fantastic place.

The Congo
3. Re: Is the Termini Station a Safe Location??

I would suggest not even carying a wallet. we bought money belt, with a zipper, at WalMart for $6.00. These go inside the clothing at the belt line. I would carry only a small amount of cash and my wife would place the rest in her money belt. Whenever we needed more, we would find a safe area where she would give me a little more. I know, it sounds paronoid, but better safe than sorry. My wife would not carry a purse.

Oregon
reviews: 13
4. Re: Is the Termini Station a Safe Location??

I'm also curious to see if other people have opinions about BelleSuite Rome as we are planning to stay there in June as well! From what I understand, BelleSuite is a bit farther away from the train station so it should be pretty safe.

Fuorigrotta...
reviews: 3
5. Re: Is the Termini Station a Safe Location??

if it's in the same building as the cellini it's fine as an area - far enough away from the station (near the repubblica metro) to be without any obvious stress. Only one thing amuses me - other than the most recent review on this site for the bellesuite, the other two i would say are written by an italian...i know i may sound overly suspicious (i live in naples!), but were they perhaps written by the owners/friends of...!?

Philly Burbs
reviews: 4
6. Re: Is the Termini Station a Safe Location??

I stayed there for 3 nights last November and never felt I was in any danger. It is quieter and darker than other more popular areas of Rome, which is one reason it is less expensive. I found staying near the Spanish Steps area much more enjoyable, with easy access to many places - by foot, day or night.

Oregon
reviews: 13
7. Re: Is the Termini Station a Safe Location??

NJTraveler - did you mean you stayed around the train area or you actually stayed at BelleSuite? If you stayed at BelleSuite, I would love to find out your opinion! Are the pictures accurate portrayals of the room? Was the service (housekeeping, concierge) pretty decent? Anything you can share would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Philly Burbs
reviews: 4
8. Re: Is the Termini Station a Safe Location??

Sorry but I did not stay at the Bella Suite. I stayed at the Des Artistes which is about 5 blocks east of Termini.

NewYork
reviews: 20
9. Re: Is the Termini Station a Safe Location??

I stayed at the BelleSuite and it is not that near to the train station to be considered in a dangerous location. The hotel is pristine and the help is very considerate and accommodating. It is in the same building as the Residenza Cellini, which is one of the most sought after hotels in Rome. You will not be disappointed if you stay here. I certainly wasn't. Also, I have been to Rome approximately 20 times in the past 10 years and never have had one incident with gypsys or any other unsavory characters. Enjoy your trip!!