We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Circumvesuviana from Naples to Pompeii ?

Which Pompeii hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California City...
reviews: 5
Circumvesuviana from Naples to Pompeii ?

I am planning a day trip from Rome to Pompeii in November. (off-season) Train reservations from Rome to Naples seems easy, and there are many options online, and the schedules are posted clearly, no problem.

But from Naples to Pompeii, I know I take the local Circumvesuviana to Pompeii. But I am having troubles verifying the schedules for that Circumvesuviana from Naples to Pompeii. I see posts online from many people saying that train runs every half hour or so. Is that correct? I don't need to know the exact times the Naples-Pompeii train runs, if someone can just verify that it runs often all day long? thank you

17 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
1. Re: Circumvesuviana from Naples to Pompeii ?

You have the correct info -

California City...
reviews: 5
2. Re: Circumvesuviana from Naples to Pompeii ?

Thank you. Looks like I will get into Naples at around 11:15 am. I don't want to run and rush to catch a 11:30 train to Pompeii if I can just relax for half an hour and catch a noon train or so.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
3. Re: Circumvesuviana from Naples to Pompeii ?

When you arrive at Napoli Centrale, go down to the lower level for the Circumvesuviana. The trains do not always run on schedule; I've had delays and I've had them on time - you never know.

London, United...
reviews: 20
4. Re: Circumvesuviana from Naples to Pompeii ?

Hi. Be prepared for a crowded and irregular service. The trains are notionally every half an hour but we couldn't physically get on the first train from Naples and waited 50 minutes for the next. The return train was much less crowded. There is also no live information on the platforms telling you when the next train is expected.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
reviews: 19
5. Re: Circumvesuviana from Naples to Pompeii ?

It is also tricky actually finding the lower level for the circumvesviana trains. On the main level we found a sign pointing to the right so we followed and ended up outside. We retraced our steps and on the same sign post found another sigh pointing straight ahead. That one led us to the lower level. Sometimes travelling totally jet lagged can be an adventure.

By the way there are no services down on the lower level so if you do want to wait and rest for a while do it on the upper level but after you have found the entrance to the lower level.

One other thing to be very aware of. I left my wife for about 30 seconds and by the time I turned around three men were starting to crowd her. When I returned they immediately disbursed. Stay together, take pickpocket precautions and watch your luggage.

London, United...
reviews: 20
6. Re: Circumvesuviana from Naples to Pompeii ?

I agree. Personal safety is a priority at Naples train station especially tired returning from Pompeii at the end of a long day.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
reviews: 93
7. Re: Circumvesuviana from Naples to Pompeii ?

Stanbr- I can't see how you could not see the signs for the Circumesuviana - they are everywhere - all dark blue and pointing you down the stairs/escalator to the lower level - which has heaps of shops. There is even a coffee bar/pastry shop right beside the ticket office. Perhaps you meant no shops actually on the platform itself?

As for the personal safety issue - this has me mystified. I was at this very train station numerous times in the past two weeks and never once did I see gangs, weirdos, gypsies, beggars...nothing - and I was on my guard as always in a crowded public place. I saw more beggars in Rome than in Naples to be honest.

Just saying that we need to get some perspective on this issue. Naples Central Station is not a seething den of criminals. It's full of businessmen, families, kids, school students and travellers - it is a normal working train station that is very busy but it's absolutely not unsafe.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
8. Re: Circumvesuviana from Naples to Pompeii ?

Hi Kathy

I tried to relate exactly our experience in the Naples train station

I can confirm there indeed are signs for the Circumesuviana station. We followed a sign pointing down a hallway that lead us outside. When we retraced our steps to the sign we found another sign on the same signpost pointing in a different direction. That sign led us to where we wanted to go. That is a fact.

I also mentioned we were jetlagged after three flights including a transatlantic plus two train rides to get us to Naples. That might have also been a factor. Any other jetlagged first time visitor might want to know what they might expect.

I see your point that there are shops on the second level of the station. When I said there are no services on the lower level I was referring to the platform.

On the personal safety issue you said that while in the station you" were on your guard as always" , which I think confirms my advice "Stay together, take pickpocket precautions and watch your luggage."

I didn't say a word about " gangs, weirdos, gypsies, beggars" but my story about three men starting to crowd my wife when I stepped away is a fact. They looked like ordinary travelers to me but I did notice they never got on a train while we were waiting.

We enjoyed our time in Italy however I think others could benefit from hearing about our exact experience in the Naples train station.

By the way we returned to Rome and passed through the Naples train station a second time. Indeed familiarity of the station made it an uneventful journey.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
9. Re: Circumvesuviana from Naples to Pompeii ?

Maybe it is the wording - but saying the three men "crowding" your wife moved away when you approached - I don't know, it just strikes me as a bit - well, whatever the word: a woman alone can and does take care of herself without needing a man to come over to scare off any would be "crowders" - whatever that means. It just comes across that way and then you say "stay together" - well, when you are solo, you have full responsibility for yourself - no man to watch for you, so to speak (thankfully). If alone and I get a bit uncomfortable because someone is moving too close to me (anywhere), I just move away. Not difficult. I pick up my bag and walk away.

I have been on that platform many many times and have seen (just like I do here and elsewhere) some folks that make me take notice and, like always everywhere I go, I keep my belongings close to me. I don't just do that in Italy - I do it everywhere as everyone should.

I have never had anyone "crowd" me - again, there is no indication they were up to no good and they may have just been waiting for a different train than you that came after you left rather than just hanging around to be up to no good - who knows, maybe they were. I just think this leaves an impression that one has to be particularly jittery in Naples and after all my times there, I don't find it any different than anywhere else.

I don't think it is a big thing to get a bit turned around in an unfamiliar spot like the train station - or, anywhere for that matter. Happens to me often enough. I just take it as part of daily life - no big deal. The signs at Napoli Centrale are much more distinct and clear now but I can see how someone could miss it if tired and jet lagged. Isn't that part of traveling - I'm never sure why such moments need to be reported on but that's just me. I got all turned around in Milano Centrale a few years ago even though I had been there numerous times and, after the flight from NYC, I just could not for the life of me find the train station so just took the bus. Laughed when I next went last year and saw the signs right in front of my face. Happens to everyone sometime.

None of what you reported is unique to Naples which is what makes me curious about such reports. I do wonder if absolutely nothing happens askew in people's lives at homes (not you OP - just generally) based on some reports I read here.

I have never thought everything will go 100% smoothly when I travel or at any time so I don't even notice minor stuff like this. Big things, yes - but, this sort of thing is just every day occurrences. Yet, it will somehow become associated with Naples in some way.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
10. Re: Circumvesuviana from Naples to Pompeii ?

Hi MomCat.

My intention in describing our experience in Naples station was not to be critical, alarmist or argumentative but to relate what happened to us. I have always believed that TripAdvisor is a place where travelers can relate their experiences both good and bad.

I did do two trip reports on our visit to Italy. If you read them you will see that we loved Italy, that's the good part. We had a couple of bad experiences and I believe it is legitimate to relay that as well.

Prior to our trip I spent a year researching on the Italy forum. It became clear to me that there is a body of evidence that some people had some unpleasant experience at both Rome and Naples train stations. That meant that we were going to have to be particularly alert in the stations but there did not appear to be any reason to be frightened.

We actually had no problem at Termini and none returning through Naples. However we did have an uncomfortable experience in Naples. By relating that experience I hoped that other travelers might be bit more prepared.

I will be more specific on what I mean when I say" crowding my wife.” We chose a bench at the far end of the platform so we would be away from most of the crowd. When I left the bench a man sitting next to her slid over and made contact. Immediately a second man standing nearby sat down and also made contact with her, effectively wedging her between them. A third man who had been standing with the second man moved toward our luggage. When I turned around two of the men immediately walked away and the original man slid back over on the bench. In total this took no more than 15 seconds.

Perhaps as you suggest we should believe this incident was just part of a normal day. Perhaps it was. However our reality is that my wife was being threatened.

Reply to: Circumvesuviana from Naples to Pompeii ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted