We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to Archaeological Museum after Pompeii?

Which Pompeii hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
reviews: 26
Best way to Archaeological Museum after Pompeii?

We will be taking a day trip to Pompeii from Rome. After visiting the Pompeii site we would like to visit the Archaeological Museum before catching our train back to Rome.

In the midst of much planning, I seem to have neglected planning the logistics of the Museum section of the day!

I'd be really grateful for any advice on how to reach the museum on our return from the Pompeii site, and then return to the train station.

We will have to eat at some point, not sure whether to do this in a Popmeii restaurant or after we return to Naples. Obviously, we won't have lots of time to spare as it is only a day trip.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Best way to Archaeological Museum after Pompeii?

Take the Circumvesuviana suburban train to Naples Centrale station, where you can store your luggage. Then take the metro one station to Cavour, from where you follow the signs to walk to the museum.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
reviews: 141
2. Re: Best way to Archaeological Museum after Pompeii?

I think that just Pompeii from Rome is a very charged day trip, I wouldn't set the Museum (which is huge and has very rich collections) in the same day. You'd come to have a look of Pompeii and of the Museum without enjoying anyone.

The matter is that Campania is usually assumed as a destination for day trips from Rome, but it would deserve a trip on its own.

St Paul, MN
reviews: 6
3. Re: Best way to Archaeological Museum after Pompeii?

If you are pressed for time, I would urge you to send more time in Pompeii rather than going to the Museum. I myself have spent 4 whole days in Pompeii taking in all the sights. I have also been to the Museum, but I was unlucky enough to go there on a day when many of the exhibits were missing due to lending them abroad and the Pompeii fresco room was closed due to lack of security personell. What I did see was nice, I would only go if you have ooodles of extra time after seeing everything Pompeii has to offer.

Pompeii had a snack bar and a cafeteria/restaurant but it was nothing special but saves time.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
reviews: 125
4. Re: Best way to Archaeological Museum after Pompeii?

The museum is closed Tuesdays - assume you already know this?

I've been to the museum several times and not come across room closures. It is definitely worth a visit. Some items are out on display in the British Museum but last time I was there, I barely noticed. There are plenty of items they take out of storage to 'fill the gaps'. You will see no mosaics at Pompeii, except those in-situ and replicas. The frescoes you will see on site in Pompeii are significantly faded. You will also see no archaeological finds such as silverware, glass, cooking utensils - even surgical instruments - they are all in the museum. Some information on Pompeii to help with your visit is here:

…blogspot.com.au/2013_05_01_archive.html

Leicester, United...
reviews: 64
5. Re: Best way to Archaeological Museum after Pompeii?

As Aristophane says you can't really do justice to Pompeii and the MAN in one day.

Sadly this is not the best organised museum and the day I went they had to close the chief attraction of the Pompeii fresco room at 2 PM.

From speaking to my Italian friends that seemed to be the recent regular practice.

In fact there is a big notice as soon as you enter the Museum warning visitors to check which rooms would be inaccessible on the day of the visit.

I suggest you stick to Pompeii only.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
6. Re: Best way to Archaeological Museum after Pompeii?

Supratik - I respectfully disagree. The museum's rooms are so huge that even if one is closed, there will be others to see. It is highly doubtful both the mosaic and frescos will be closed at the same time. The fresco room is actually half of the top floor - not just one room.

Heidi it is worth the risk. Don't skip the museum. The reality is Pompeii is huge and can be a confusing mass of ancient, crumbling walls unless you go with a planned route or a guide (forget the audio guide, it's way out of date). Even if you take yourselves around with a map, you'll find many blocked roads and houses inaccessible. The House of the Vetti has been closed for years and the Via Dell Abbondanza is cut off, making the walk from the forum to the amphitheatre a giant detour rather than a straight line.

The museum complements your visit and puts Pompeii in context.

It will be a long day going to both places but totally worth it.

St Paul, MN
7. Re: Best way to Archaeological Museum after Pompeii?

When I visited they had not bothered to fill in the gaps of the loaned items and there were a lot of them. At the time later I found out they were in a big exhibit in the Field museums in Chicago. If I had known that I could have gone there to see them. I did get to see some of them years later at the St Paul science Museusm when they had an exhibit there and then when there was an exhibition at the Colosseum in Rome

I have also read online that the closing for the fresco room is not a unique experience and that others had experienced it. When I asked at the desk if the fresco room woud be open tomorrow they said maybe.

Pompeii itself is beauful frescos and mosaics in situ

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

some of the statues are reproductions but they look exactly the same as the ones in the Naples Museum

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
8. Re: Best way to Archaeological Museum after Pompeii?

Lupaling - with respect didn't you visit the NAM quite some time ago (2006/2008?). Whilst your photos are nice, the fresco room in the Villa of Mysteries is currently closed as is the House of Menander. Yes, there are reproduction statues and mosaics but really, the genuine article is much more satisfying to see.

OP - here is an indication of what you are likely to see when you visit the museum. Don't be deterred, it is well worth it.

http://kathyw62.blogspot.com.au/

St Paul, MN
9. Re: Best way to Archaeological Museum after Pompeii?

Oh, So I should have show some other photos because these particular houses were closed? I spent 4 nearly 8 hour days inside Pompeii, so that I know there is plenty to see. It's up to the OP if they want to spent 4 hours inside Pompeii and then spent time traveling to the Naples Museum on a day trip from Rome.

With respect, the exhibits At Pompeii don't change than much from year to year and some of us don't' go to see them every year. The House of Julius Polybius is now open, but I bet the House of the Vetti i still closed for "restoration" that seems to never go on.

The NAM is not exactly been upgraded as I have heard considering Italy's budget crisis. The bad display and labeling has been mentioned by several archeologists who have written books about Pompeii and Herculaneum. The time I went, the fresco room was closed, but you could view 18th century watercolors to your heart's content.

As I said the Museum might be nice if you have oodles of time.

"As Aristophane says you can't really do justice to Pompeii and the MAN in one day.

Sadly this is not the best organised museum and the day I went they had to close the chief attraction of the Pompeii fresco room at 2 PM."

Yeah, pick on my comments when several other posters agree with me.

Leicester, United...
reviews: 64
10. Re: Best way to Archaeological Museum after Pompeii?

Ladies : Peace please )-:

I have great respect for both of you and in my humble opinion both of you are correct but I'd still stick to my comment that it is too much to take those two attractions in a single day.

Kathy : you are right that it is unlikely that both the Frescoes and Mosaic sections are unlikely to be closed at the same time. Let me tell you about my recent experience. To be precise from 22nd August at 11 am !!

At the desk they had this notice asking visitors to check about closure. I was told the Frescoes section would close at 2 PM, then the Bronze section ( with the replica Pompeii and the Blue Vase) would open after 2 and the mosaics and the Secret Room would remain open through whole day. That seems to be the norm so if the OP plans to visit the MAN at afternoon he is likely to miss the Frescoes.

Farnese Gallery is open all the time

Next about Pompeii, Lupaling is right. The house Vetti is still closed for "restoration". House of Tragic Poet was also closed but House of Meander was open with some lovely frescoes and I walked 20 minutes in scorching sun to see the frescoes of Villa de Mystery and found Lupaling's avatar.

So if the OP can manage it in a single day then that's good for him but it would be a long and tiring day. He would probably have to miss the areas beyond the amphitheatre and the gardens of Fugitive section which had very little crowd and was much more enjoyable.

But of course the ultimate decision is with him and whatever he decides to do I wish him an enjoyable experience.

Now time to go home and sort out 3000 photos. I promise to write a TR at some point,