We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompeii tours

Which Pompeii hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Pompeii tours

We're taking a 12 days cruise in Oct and have about 9 hours in Naples. Carnival has a huge selection of Shore Excursions. What part is worth seeing? Amalfi....Capri...Pompeii.. Sorrento. My husband and I are in our high 50ies. Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 4
1. Re: Pompeii tours

I have made 6 trips to Pompeii and Herculaneum and can't get enough of them. I can't imagine anyone going to Naples and not trying to see either of them. Hurculaneum is closer to Naples and a much smaller town so you could probably do it in nine hours counting travel time. Take the Circumvesuviana railroad (in the Garibaldi train station) to Herculaneum and it's just about a 15 minute walk to the ruins. Or spend the time in the National Archeological Museum in downtown Naples. It has all the best discoveries from the ruins of Pompei and Herculaneum and other ancient places (subway will take you within a block of it). You don't have to be an ancient history buff to appreciate what Italy was like 2,000 years ago.

Coeur D'alene, Idaho
reviews: 9
2. Re: Pompeii tours

All of them are definitely worth seeing, but which one you decide on depends on what interests you more. If you've been looking at gorgeous natural vistas and feel like a change of pace, you might want to check out Pompeii. I've visited twice and it really is quite remarkable if you're interested at all in history. You'll have to do a bit of walking with not much shade or cover from the rain, and some fairly uneven roads, but as long as you're healthy, it's absolutely worth it.

If, however, you're "ruined out" after looking at a lot of ruins, the Amalfi Coast is one of, if not THE most beautiful coastlines in the world. If you're from Monterey, you're used to some gorgeous coastlines, so that might not interest you as much, but it is breathtaking.

Sorrento is a quaint little town along the coast. No real major destinations there other than the relaxing little town itself, but it is fun and you'll get some great views along the drive from Naples.

Capri seems to be 50/50 as far as enjoyment. If it's a beautiful day and you don't mind a short boat ride, it can be fantastic. If not, you might want to skip.

My recommendation would be Pompeii.